And the 'Brits weigh in on Sarah...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
First the GOP blowhards make fun of Obama's popularity overseas, now they tout Palin's.

Sounds so familiar...

Amazing for a woman who just got her passport last year.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton

well, she sure can't compare to Obama's childhood indoctrination inside a madrasa :p

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: loki8481

well, she sure can't compare to Obama's childhood indoctrination inside a madarsa :p
What is that, some kind of curry dish?

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: OrByte
Her best comment of the night was:

In politics, there are some candidates who use change to promote their careers.

And then there are those, like John McCain, who use their careers to promote change.

That statement was badass! :)

That's the kind of statement that is the equivalent of starting a Bar fight!!
She beat the hell out of Obama, but she did it in a way that had people laughing.

It was a perfect way to go at him. She hit in the all the right spots, but she still came across as being likable. A very tough thing to do. If Hillary gave that same speech we would be talking about how mean and crass she was.
I can't disagree. She did well last night.

BUT, and it is kind of a big butt....

When she had to hug McCain she looked like she was going to puke!!!

Is there chemistry between them? How did it come across to America? I know some conservative radio hosts here in Sacramento where saying the same thing this morning. She looked like McCain grabbed her ass when he went to hug her.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Obama has that great orator style similar to JFK and Martin Luther King.
Palin has that down home folksy style similar to Bill Clinton, Reagan and FDR.

One logical fallacy is the corollary of 'guilt by association' - call it 'praise by association'.

It's a handy tool for popagandists.

"The Rolling Stones are a great rock band, with a performance in the same league as The Who, Pink Floyd and other leading acts.

Gallagher is one of the top comic performaner of the 20th century, like Jackie Gleason."

Palin in the same sentence with FDR, what a joke. LSD couldn't even cause that.

RKDaley

Oct 27, 2007

well, she sure can't compare to Obama's childhood indoctrination inside a madarsa :p

What is a madarsa?
I find it interesting how you only seem to make a lot of snarky remarks about Obama, yet claim you will vote for him. Are you publicly saying that but secretly rooting for McCain?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The interesting thing is if she is considered to be so irrelevant, why are the Dems and their proxies scrambling over themselves to tear her down.

Do they perceive her as some type of threat?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Go to realclearpolitics.com and look at the responses to her speech.

The vast majority of them are very positive.
You may not like what she had to say, but no one is questioning her ability as a speaker and at connecting with an audience.

Down home folksy style? How convenient that your comparison left out Bush. :laugh:

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Its very different to be the only one talking and to be engaged on a one on one debate. I remember the Al Gore stem winding speech he gave at the 1992 democratic convention. He had the dems charged up and rocking the rafters, and the very next day he reverted back to the same wooden Al that he always was. Now Al Gore has found a different calling he is more passionate about, but thats no predictor for Palin.

What we saw yesterday was not Sarah Palin, what we saw was Sarah Palin's speechwriters. But in the next 60 days, the real Sarah Palin will be found. And even as a partisan democrat, I can see some things to like about her and a lot to dislike about her. I may be biased but we shall see how Sarah Palin stands the test of time, which may be delimited to a mere 60 days.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Holy lefty media backers, Batman! Are we supposed to take this with a grain or a cup of salt?

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002

You may not like what she had to say, but no one is questioning her ability as a speaker and at connecting with an audience.

Can't believe you compare Obama to King. About the only thing they have in common is their skin color. To me they're more opposites, King wasn't a great speaker but had a message that couldn't be ignored. Obama on the other hand is a good enough speaker, it's easy to ignore his lack of message.
Just my opinion.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
The interesting thing is if she is considered to be so irrelevant, why are the Dems and their proxies scrambling over themselves to tear her down.

Have you ever heard of Palin before August 29th? I'd be scrambling too, regardless if I thought she was "threat" or not.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

LOL, Palin shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as those three. I think a more apt comparison would be with Laura Ingram.
And should Obama be mentioned in the company of JFK and MLK??

I was speaking about her ability to give a speech and nothing else, get over it.

Funny how similar my post was to Red Dawn's responding to PJ, I wrote it before seeing his, of course.

When I comment on Obama, I have to put a disclaimer that my opinion is more negative than most on his speeches. His 2004 convention speech I thought was fluffy - it had some good things about it but I was not too impressed. Others see it as great, some as one of the best political speeches of the 20th century; there's a book actuallly coming out on it.

Having said that, while I don't see him as good as JFK (I'd say he's better in ways and worse in ways than MLK), mentioning them together is fine.

Kennedy's own top people who have commented, like JFK's top aide after Bobby, Ted Sorensen who usually doesn't get that involved in politics, say he reminds them of JFK.

Sorensen said he hasn't seen any politician since JFK that reminded him as much and endorsed him in early 2007 when he was a real long shot.

PJ, you're just using the fallacy of 'association' to say nonsense, mentioning Palin with the others and trying to get it to stick on her.

It reminds me of the same overblown technique used by LBJ (Vietnam President Diem was "the Winton Churchill of Southeast Asia) and Reagan (the thugs and criminals in the terrorist Contra army we made to attack Nicaragua wre "the moral equivalent of our founding fathers".)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Druidx

Can't believe you compare Obama to King. About the only thing they have in common is their skin color. To me they're more opposites, King wasn't a great speaker but had a message that couldn't be ignored. Obama on the other hand is a good enough speaker, it's easy to ignore his lack of message.
Just my opinion.
LOL the only reason Projo compared Obama with King Jr is so he could get away with trying to compare Palin with Reagan. It didn't work out like he planned.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: RKDaley

What is a madarsa?
I find it interesting how you only seem to make a lot of snarky remarks about Obama, yet claim you will vote for him. Are you publicly saying that but secretly rooting for McCain?

my problem is that I don't really like Obama as a person. I recognize that he'll do more for what's important to me than McCain will, so I'll go out and vote in November, but I'm not particularly passionate about Obamania. despite the fact that it will be better for me on the gay rights / tax front, I'm not particularly convinced that 4 more years of single-party rule is what's best for the country, but reading presidential memoirs all summer has kinda made me realize how little anything ever really changes.

on the other hand, I do like McCain as a person, even though I disagree with the vast majority of his policies, so sometimes I find myself defending him probably more than the real republicans on this forum do.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Because she's outrageously bad, and that should be noted before nominating such a radical becomes 'ok'. We should have learned from Cheney.

As far as threat, it's not about her chances of being elected, it's the recklenssness of putting someone so dangerous in even the nominal position of close to the presidency.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: RKDaley

What is a madarsa?

my problem is that I don't really like Obama as a person. I recognize that he'll do more for what's important to me than McCain will, so I'll go out and vote in November, but I'm not particularly passionate about Obamania. despite the fact that it will be better for me on the gay rights / tax front, I'm not particularly convinced that 4 more years of single-party rule is what's best for the country, but reading presidential memoirs all summer has kinda made me realize how little anything ever really changes.

on the other hand, I do like McCain as a person, even though I disagree with the vast majority of his policies, so sometimes I find myself defending him probably more than the real republicans on this forum do.

I can see not liking Obama all that much, but don't see reason to dislike the guy either; bu compared to the terrible behavior of McCain - from the corrupt phony marketing where he abuses the word integrity, his treatment of his wives, his links to corruption, his being one of the couple most 'as the wind blows' positions changes in national politics without any principles showing and so on, I have a hard time understanding putting him ahead of Obama.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Craig234

Because she's outrageously bad, and that should be noted before nominating such a radical becomes 'ok'. We should have learned from Cheney.

As far as threat, it's not about her chances of being elected, it's the recklenssness of putting someone so dangerous in even the nominal position of close to the presidency.

According to most, the Repubs do not have a chance in hell - so why are they worried?

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Honestly I don't see how anyone can be excited about any of the candidates.

Obama - Great speaker, empty suit.
McCain - 2000 version was :thumbsup:, new and "improved" version is meh.

Biden - Best known for plagiarism. Doesn't seem like a bad guy, just not exciting.
Palin - Just doesn't do it for me. Maybe if I had a pint or two of Guinness my opinion would change, but she seems to be your standard run of the mill politician who just happens to have a vagina.