And the award for most taxed state in the US goes to???

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
According to Wallethub the winner is Illinois. Congratulations Illinois you beat out hopeful contenders such as New Jersey, New York, and even Washington DC which is a milestone to be proud of. It's ok though because the pension problem is not an issue and J.B. Pritzker will solve all of Illinois budget issues.
45eTB8e.jpg

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
OK.
But how are their public schools?
In Illinois? Nothing but the best man. District 150 here in Peoria is a shining example of how using money for education to fund pensions is money well spent.
Peoria City Manager Patrick Urich states that "Relying on sales taxes has become more important for communities like Peoria due to the fact that 80 percent of what the city receives in property taxes now goes toward paying pensions, predominantly to retirees with police and fire departments".

Annual report: Which school districts in Illinois are in the worst financial shape? "El Paso Gridley Community Unit School District 11, El Paso Gridley Community Unit School District 11, Peoria School District 150 and Steeleville Community Unit School District 138 received the lowest financial ratings in Illinois by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) for their 2017 finances.

Last edited:

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Don't conflate the funding of schools (Illinois has a terrible model) with the quality of the education. Since Illinois funds schools through property taxes, communities "choose" the quality of their local schools through referendums to fund them. Places like Naperville, Wilmette, and Evanston have some of the best public schools in the country. They also have some of the highest taxes in the country. People still duy up houses (and pay really high taxes) in droves. For some people, the quality of their kids education is worth the investment. When the kids graduate and they sell, the still make money on the house because a lot of people want that quality education.

It sounds like Peoria would rather pull funds from sales tax rather than hike up property taxes through a referendum to pay for education. I imagine a referendum for schools would go over like a lead balloon down there.

Illinois is really messed up because of the dichotomy of the state. Basically rural and city. The liberals in the suburbs "happily" pay property taxes to ensure they get a great LOCAL school system for themselves because they pass referendum fir that specific use. Sounds like the conservatives in the rural areas want the state to give them the schools. Maybe those damn lberals are just taking personal responsibility by paying for what they use. That said, Illinois has created a tax nightmare for themselves. I get to bend over and pay my property taxes knowing my kids education will get them into a decent college.

Probably in Wisconsin.

Reactions: pauldun170

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
What's sad is that despite their high tax rate is they still don't have any money and their infrastructure is suffering.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
If only we had a purpose built way of funding transportation in some way. Maybe we should have a road system that charges people money to use it. Like collecting some sort of toll?

Oh wait, never mind...

Reactions: SlowSpyder

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Don't conflate the funding of schools (Illinois has a terrible model) with the quality of the education. Since Illinois funds schools through property taxes, communities "choose" the quality of their local schools through referendums to fund them. Places like Naperville, Wilmette, and Evanston have some of the best public schools in the country. They also have some of the highest taxes in the country. People still duy up houses (and pay really high taxes) in droves. For some people, the quality of their kids education is worth the investment. When the kids graduate and they sell, the still make money on the house because a lot of people want that quality education.

It sounds like Peoria would rather pull funds from sales tax rather than hike up property taxes through a referendum to pay for education. I imagine a referendum for schools would go over like a lead balloon down there.

Illinois is really messed up because of the dichotomy of the state. Basically rural and city. The liberals in the suburbs "happily" pay property taxes to ensure they get a great LOCAL school system for themselves because they pass referendum fir that specific use. Sounds like the conservatives in the rural areas want the state to give them the schools. Maybe those damn lberals are just taking personal responsibility by paying for what they use. That said, Illinois has created a tax nightmare for themselves. I get to bend over and pay my property taxes knowing my kids education will get them into a decent college.

Probably in Wisconsin.

vaas-approved-your-post_o_1942501.jpg

You MUST include your own written commentary in P&N.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Maybe I should. God knows I wouldn't be the first!
Genesis of the Illinois exodus
Government dysfunction, high taxes and obscene debt levels give Illinois a bad reputation. If all of us don’t vote to change that, more people will vote with their feet.

My boss lived in IL, just recently moved to TX exactly for this reason. His property taxes were outrageous and he didn't like the direction of the state. He is a highly skilled worker that makes well into the six figure range and put lots of money into the system, now he (like many others) has left a high tax burden blue state for greener pastures. More and more these high tax blue states are being left with takers and not those that contribute.

Reactions: Thunder 57

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
My boss lived in IL, just recently moved to TX exactly for this reason. His property taxes were outrageous and he didn't like the direction of the state. He is a highly skilled worker that makes well into the six figure range and put lots of money into the system, now he (like many others) has left a high tax burden blue state for greener pastures. More and more these high tax blue states are being left with takers and not those that contribute.

Good.

This means no more relevant red states, and so maybe the country will recover from the GOP menace in short order.

Nov 8, 2012
]According to Wallethub the winner is Illinois. Congratulations Illinois you beat out hopeful contenders such as New Jersey, New York, and even Washington DC which is a milestone to be proud of. It's ok though because the pension problem is not an issue and J.B. Pritzker will solve all of Illinois budget issues.
45eTB8e.jpg

I've been saying this since the beginning of time.
Highest Sales tax rate in the nation
One of the highest for property tax rates (AND property values)
Plus ridiculous income taxes on top of it.

Usually states do not go high on all 3. For example - my state doesn't have income tax but it does have decent sales tax and decent property tax.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Maybe one of the couple dozen people I've met in the last few months from the east and west coasts replaced him. Downstate, with maybe one or two exceptions, is pretty much fucked similar to all the other rust belt states. The city however is adding high skill/paid jobs by the truckload as companies discover a cost of living about half that of the costal cities with all (or more) of the amenities.