And in Michigan...

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I didn't put this in P&N because I didn't think it was news as much as ridiculous nor was I going post an opening opinion. Not busting on a mod for moving it because that is their prerogative. However, glad to see butt hurt found the report button.

RSW

High school football fans told to stop chanting "USA, USA"

(AP)

Patriotism is under fire in Western Michigan.

The OK Conference, representing 50 schools, has announced a crackdown on fans chanting, “USA” at football games. They are also implementing strict rules on flags and political banners.

“Coaches and fans are irate,” said Bill Simonson, the host of a statewide sports radio show. “People are tired of being told what flag to fly or what political side to lean towards.”

Mr. Simonson, who hosts “The Huge Show”, was the first to break this insane story.

The athletic conference’s crackdown comes after fans from a predominantly black school took offense after fans from a predominantly white school displayed a Betsy Ross flag and a “Make America Great Again” banner.

The latest headlines on the 2016 elections from the biggest name in politics.

Critics called the flag racist and a local superintendent said it symbolized hate.

“To wave a historical version of our flag, that to some symbolizes exclusion and hate, injects hostility and confusion to an event where no one intended to do so,” wrote Forest Hills Public Schools Superintendent Daniel Behm in a letter to parents.

Simonson, host of "The Huge Show," told me local residents are furious.

“He painted a picture that the school is filled with insensitive people,” he said. ‘If Colin Kaepernick can have his freedom of speech and freedom of expression – guess what – it’s a two-way street.”

Click here to get your “Gun-Toting, Bible-Clinging, Patriotic American” T-Shirt!

OK Commissioner Jim Haskins said their executive board decided that moving forward fans will only be allowed to chant “USA, USA” after the National Anthem.

He told Mlive.com that it has nothing to do with banning patriotism. He said students are using the chant in a derogatory manner – such as “U Suck (bleep) and those type of things.”

“That’s what we have the problems with,” he told the newspaper.

But television station WOOD reports the Michigan High School Athletics Association has not received any official complaints about fans “repurposing ‘USA’ to mean anything derogatory.”

The athletic conference is also cracking down on signs and banners and flags.

“Any signs, flags, banners, cheers, or promotional material that carry questionable implications or are degrading are prohibited at any OK Conference venue,” he told WOOD.

Mike Shibler, the superintendent of Rockford Public Schools, supports the crackdown.

“We will certainly inform our students that this type of behavior when done in a derogatory and insulting way will not be accepted and will not occur,” he told WOOD.

But what happens if a student argues that the chant is in fact patriotic?

“I don’t believe that,” the superintendent told the television station.

It sounds like Western Michigan is dealing with a severe infestation of liberal educators. lol

“This is the United States of America,” Simonson told me. “What happens if someone walks in with a military uniform and the kids want to chant, ‘USA’? You can’t do that? Are we living in Communist Russia?”

Instead of punishing all the fans, why not just identify the troublemakers and yank them out of the stands?

One thing I cannot abide is stupidity and ignorance. And there’s a whole mess of it in Western Michigan’s school system.

There is a time and a place for citizens to defy the government and this may be one of those moments.

I hope every person reading this column in Western Michigan will show up at tonight’s football games waving Old Glory.

And if the Spirit moves, inhale a big gulp of air and belt out a patriotic cheer – one that we’ll be able to hear from sea to shining sea.

“USA, USA, USA.”

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016...tball-fans-told-to-stop-chanting-usa-usa.html

Last edited:

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I promise I'll read your cut and paste when its moved to P&N where it really should be.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
For those who know better than to rely on foxNews as a source of information

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...cides-ban-usa-chant-sporting-events/90497484/

GRAND RAPIDS - Recent behavior by students at a Grand Rapids High School football game is prompting new rules during sporting events.

In a surprise move, the local high school conference, the OK Conference, has determined to ban the chant "U-S-A...U-S-A" during games, except directly after the national anthem.

It started after a photo students took which went viral. In it, students from Forest Hills Central are seen holding up a Trump flag and and an older version of the U.S. flag which is sometimes associated with white supremacist groups.

The OK Conference had several meetings this week discussing the matter and revisiting the handbook on sportsmanship, specifically dealing with signs and chants. Now, there's a new ban on a cheer many of us are familiar with, U-S-A, U-S-A.

"It's nothing unpatriotic that we're trying to do that the OK Conference really believes in being patriotic with all of our kids and so on, but what happens is that some of the kids go and use that as a demeaning put down, a derogatory type of cheer," OK Conference Commissioner Jim Haskins said.

Haskins said the letters, U-S-A, have been changed to mean something else, which is why he says the only time fans are allowed to use that cheer is right after the National Anthem.

"It's hard to decipher that when it is positive and when it's not," Haskins said. "That's the hard part. It could be positive while saying that but most of the time it comes out as a put down on that player whether it's a guy or a gal out there that drops a pass, hits the ball in the net or something like that."

Haskins does want to make clear the new rule is designed to protect patriotism and make sure 'U-S-A' is not used in an offensive way.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/sep/16/ottawa-kent-conference-bans-usa-chant-during-schoo/
The directive comes after white students from Forest Hills Central waved a Donald Trump flag and a “Betsy Ross” flag during a football game against the predominantly black Grand Rapids Ottawa Hills school.
Forest Hills Schools Superintendent Dan Behm apologized for the students’ behavior in a letter Monday to Forest Hills and Grand Rapids parents.

“Injecting partisan politics into a community football game and into a commemoration of the events of September 11th is inappropriate,” Mr. Behm wrote. “And, to wave a historical version of our flag, that to some symbolizes exclusion and hate, injects hostility and confusion to an event where no one intended to do so. To our gracious hosts — the students, families, staff, and community of Grand Rapids Ottawa Hills High School and Grand Rapids Public Schools — and to the student-athletes, coaches, officials, and supporters of both teams, we are truly sorry.”

http://woodtv.com/2016/09/15/o-k-conference-bans-usa-chant-due-to-rude-usage/
O-K Conference Commissioner Jim Haskins told 24 Hour News 8 that some students attending athletic events were chanting “USA” as a way of telling opponents, “U suck a**.” Haskins said the chant filtered down from colleges and started happening at high school basketball games last year.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Sounds like the original complainers were a bunch of Black Lives Matter-type dipshits that constantly play the victim. Fuck their bullshit. They don't like an old looking American flag? Too damn bad you whiny collection of uselessness.

Reactions: Slew Foot

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I had started to type this out right after I my original post but decided not to post it

It's interesting how FoxNews structures the article and pushes a narrative.

No one wants to hear that a bunch of kids are acting like dicks at a football game.
They want something to help start an anti BLM conversation\anti Obama\anti governement conversation and how all "those people" hate America

After seeing clamun's post, I guess I should have posted it

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Why didn't you the 1st time?

Anywho, I think you're giving the kids too much credit for even knowing there is a whole world outside of their bubble. I could be wrong though.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Sounds like the original complainers were a bunch of Black Lives Matter-type dipshits that constantly play the victim. Fuck their bullshit. They don't like an old looking American flag? Too damn bad you whiny collection of uselessness.

I would bet if you were born Black and put into the same situation
as those "Black Lives Matter-type dipshits that constantly play the victim people" you would act just like those "Black Lives Matter-type dipshits that constantly play the victim people." Actually probably worse.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
I would bet if you were born Black and put into the same situation
as those "Black Lives Matter-type dipshits that constantly play the victim people" you would act just like those "Black Lives Matter-type dipshits that constantly play the victim people." Actually probably worse.

are you saying all black people are in black lives matter?

Mar 11, 2004
I promise I'll read your cut and paste when its moved to P&N where it really should be.

This. Hope the mods will get to cracking down on people doing this shit. OP is also randomly throwing shitty Fox News articles in completely unrelated threads. He seems to be trying to outdo John Connor for shitposting political garbage in OT.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
This. Hope the mods will get to cracking down on people doing this shit. OP is also randomly throwing shitty Fox News articles in completely unrelated threads. He seems to be trying to outdo John Connor for shitposting political garbage in OT.
Apply for the job and then you can handle it yourself. Or you could just report it. Otherwise, piss off.

Reactions: boomerang