And for your Dose of Ebola Happy News.

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
Supposedly it's 40 minutes from where I live now too in cleveland. A bunch of the guys at work today were freaking out about it.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Supposedly it's 40 minutes from where I live now too in cleveland. A bunch of the guys at work today were freaking out about it.

yeah it's because a 2nd nurse treating the guy in Dallas started getting symptoms and flew to cleveland to visit family. unbelievable the ineptitude here.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Hospitals are indeed the problem here. What happened in the Dallas hospital could have probably happened at the majority of US hospitals. They simply aren't prepared and haven't put together plans on how to deal with a patient that comes in with ebola.

I think that's improving significantly. At least in NY they've done drills in our hospitals so we're better prepared. I think that's the best way to deal with this because there's a difference between knowing intellectually how something is done and actually have done it. In fact there are certification processes required for hospitals, and maybe having regular monitored and recorded drills for infection wouldn't be a bad thing.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I think that's improving significantly. At least in NY they've done drills in our hospitals so we're better prepared. I think that's the best way to deal with this because there's a difference between knowing intellectually how something is done and actually have done it. In fact there are certification processes required for hospitals, and maybe having regular monitored and recorded drills for infection wouldn't be a bad thing.

That same Dallas hospital bragged about how they had meetings and preparedness drills two days before he arrived.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
That same Dallas hospital bragged about how they had meetings and preparedness drills two days before he arrived.

I don't know about Dallas, but I know what we did here. I also know that there's a difference in how closely people pay attention when faced with a hypothetical and with reality. I'm thinking that the Dallas hospital has a much more attentive attitude now.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Being in the healthcare field I have absolutely zero faith in the US Healthcare system to properly death with an ebola outbreak.

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011
Now you know how the Zombie virus will spread. Stupid infected medical professionals flying around and visiting "family " We are all screwed :eek:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Being in the healthcare field I have absolutely zero faith in the US Healthcare system to properly death with an ebola outbreak.

That's funny, because being in the healthcare field, I have complete faith in the US Healthcare system to properly deal with an Ebola outbreak.

That said, the media must be LOVING this, more 24 hour bullshit coverage to fill time.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
A whole chunk of people who were in (sometimes close) contact with the first U.S. patient were released from quarantine today after 21 days w/o symptoms. That's good news. Also the WHO declared a couple of countries free of the virus after 42 days with no new cases. Might be it's burning itself out.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Also the WHO declared a couple of countries free of the virus after 42 days with no new cases.

Let's face it, if Nigeria (no disrespect intended, they did a fantastic job) can cope with it I'm sure that the US can.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Let's face it, if Nigeria (no disrespect intended, they did a fantastic job) can cope with it I'm sure that the US can.

Everyone knows the US is worse off than Nigeria because RICK PERRY lives here! :D

We're so backwards that according to some we kicked the poor now-deceased Liberian out of the hospital the first time because he was a minority. Turns out he was seen and tested including a CT scan which isn't exactly a free gadget. One explanation by our crew in P&N is that we kicked him out afterwards because we realized his background. OK, picture this- someone goes into an ER with an FUO. They do all the processing and testing up to and including a CT scan and after many hours a staff member just realizes he's been dealing with an African and yells "OMG he's black, get him out of here!" I'd pay to see that.

Last edited:

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Some in the crowd were silent, baffled by the white building and the moonsuits worn by the health workers. In that part of the world, not everybody believed in the infectious theory of disease, the idea that illnesses can spread through microbes. Why wouldn&#8217;t the doctors let people see or touch their loved ones at a funeral? Many people distrusted the government, and spiritual explanations for the disease circulated.

This was one of the saddest parts - in this situation ignorance and superstition can literally kill you.