And another U.S. Senator steps in it by praising Bin-Laden...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wiin

Oct 28, 1999
gopunk
Lifer said:
"do you really think she was praising bin laden? or could it be... just maybe... that she was just trying to give some reasons why bin laden might be popular?"

Bin laden is popular? Hmmmm. I wonder why he was kicked out of his own country. And, yes, she was praising bin laden. Amen my friend.

drewshin

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
wow wiin, where were you all of this past year? bin laden is very popular in muslim countries.

he was kicked out of his country for criticizing the saudi government for allowing us soldiers on their soil, not because he wasnt popular.

wiin

Oct 28, 1999
"He's been out in these countries for decades, building schools, building roads, building infrastructure, building day care facilities, building health care facilities, and the people are extremely grateful. We haven't done that."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Five months before Sep. 11, patty murray described Afghanistan on the verge of social catastrophe. Bin Laden lived there. so what happened to the "building schools, building roads, building infrastructure, building day care facilities, building health care facilities...? Up to may of that year, the US provided $124 million to Afghanistan.

God Bless America.

TapTap

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: axiom
do you really think she was praising bin laden? or could it be... just maybe... that she was just trying to give some reasons why bin laden might be popular?
Come on man. You are not stupid. Wake up for two seconds and understand the workings of Bin Laden. You've got to realize that while Bin Laden may be building schools, roads and day care facilities(Yea F*cking right he's building day care facilities), his worx are funded with blood money. Bin laden makes contact with an intl businessman. Businessman wants to build roads in the Sudan, bin laden has his men hunt down and kill the current road contractor, Bin laden secures a deal to build roads. Gee, what an honorable guy. Maybe Bush should follow Bin Laden's lead.

My example is not fact, but it is a representation of the under workings of Al Qaeda. When you're whole negotiating tactic is "You know, allah would like you more if you brought all your business to me", nobody will ever beat that. It's going to take a lot more than building schools, hospitals and roads to win support against terrorism. These people are rooted in poverty, but not because of the United States, because of their own useless governments. Terrorists hold the US and Israel responsible and make claims that we put them down. You can put that Bullsh*t in your pipe and smoke it.

Amen.
She is being "intellectual about things" my asss. She believes the crap she is spouting, and this is the same OBL that didnt want women anywhere near a school....

SlowSS

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2002
Originally posted by: TapTap
do you really think she was praising bin laden? or could it be... just maybe... that she was just trying to give some reasons why bin laden might be popular?
Come on man. You are not stupid. Wake up for two seconds and understand the workings of Bin Laden. You've got to realize that while Bin Laden may be building schools, roads and day care facilities(Yea F*cking right he's building day care facilities), his worx are funded with blood money. Bin laden makes contact with an intl businessman. Businessman wants to build roads in the Sudan, bin laden has his men hunt down and kill the current road contractor, Bin laden secures a deal to build roads. Gee, what an honorable guy. Maybe Bush should follow Bin Laden's lead.

My example is not fact, but it is a representation of the under workings of Al Qaeda. When you're whole negotiating tactic is "You know, allah would like you more if you brought all your business to me", nobody will ever beat that. It's going to take a lot more than building schools, hospitals and roads to win support against terrorism. These people are rooted in poverty, but not because of the United States, because of their own useless governments. Terrorists hold the US and Israel responsible and make claims that we put them down. You can put that Bullsh*t in your pipe and smoke it.

Amen.
She is being "intellectual about things" my asss. She believes the crap she is spouting, and this is the same OBL that didnt want women anywhere near a school....

What she failed to mentioned is how women are repressed, ME women cannot vote, can't drive, nor can they work........I've been to UAE, SA, Oman, and Bahrain and except for Bahrain, those countries treat women like a second class citizens.:(

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Update:

Senator Defends Usama Comments
  • "I have to tell you that it's really important that people don't twist or construe remarks that were made to an AP student group in a Vancouver high school..."
Probably not much worse than what their liberal teachers and professors stuff their heads with daily, anyway.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I havent followed this much. It looked like her response was to a question as to why Bin Laden has support in his region. Is that true or not?

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Murray?s defenders have said her remarks were made off the cuff, but the tape showed the senator using those words as her closing statements, which may have left a lasting impression. - Text

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Here is my point Ornery. If she says Bin Laden is a good man because of those things she is wrong. If she says she thinks other there believe he is good because of them, then she is right. Why would they not? Did she sin because she told the truth?

Damage

Dec 3, 2001

Sound like he's the Jesse Jackson of the middle east?

BTW.. So he builds roads and houses??? That makes it ok to kill THOUSANDS of people? "Well.. I would be very upset with this man for doing these evil things, but I have a paved road to temple now so it OK????"

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Damage

Sound like he's the Jesse Jackson of the middle east?

BTW.. So he builds roads and houses??? That makes it ok to kill THOUSANDS of people? "Well.. I would be very upset with this man for doing these evil things, but I have a paved road to temple now so it OK????"

That's how people think, and she merely stated that fact.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider
I havent followed this much. It looked like her response was to a question as to why Bin Laden has support in his region. Is that true or not?

Yes, her comments were in response to a question.

The more I've read of this over the last couple of weeks the more I think she is just horribly mis-informed. The U.S. pours millions of dollars in foreign aid to Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, etc. Her day-care statement is laughable at best since under Bin-Laden's form of religion, women are expected to stay at home with the children or else they risk losing their lives.

What is perhaps the most disturbing is that she has said she hoped her comments will stir debate and then turned down multiple opportunities to debate. Politician spin at its best.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Well their's your elected officals. And why are they re-elected more often then not???

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
An editorial about this from today's paper.
Terrorism myopia

Someone needs to tell Washington state Sen. Patty Murray, Washington Democrat, that Osama bin Laden's day-care centers are helping foment terror, not stop it ? and the ideal someone is a liberal Democrat who knows America needs left-wing hawks.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Senator challenges teens to ponder bin Laden's popularity
  • Murray concluded the session by challenging the students to consider alternatives to war.

"We've got to ask, why is this man (Osama bin Laden) so popular around the world?," said Murray, who faces re-election in 2004. "Why are people so supportive of him in many countries . that are riddled with poverty?
"Did she sin because she told the truth?

"That's how people think, and she merely stated that fact."

First of all, who asked her? She's trying to tie spending with being popular. And that's only her opinion, not fact. As others have said, there are more diabolical reasons for his popularity.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Sen. Patty Murray on Wednesday defended comments she made last month that seemed to praise terror leader Usama bin Laden for his humanitarian efforts. - Text

Thanks for another bump, Spudnut!