Anandtech vs Tom's Hardware Folding@Home Coronavirus Race thread

Page 36 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I put my gtx660 in to see what would happen, if the board would let me use it as a primary driver and well i was in for a rude awakening. My 1080ti suddenly then couldn't even do 11k ppd estimated. I remove the 660 and the 1080ti is back to norm on its current unit and a 1.1mill estimated ppd . I heard this could be a issue mixing gpus but prob not gonna bother getting a gpu for this thing then. It could be a generational thing but i did fresh reinstalls of stuff and it made zero difference.
This could be a problem with mixed chip generations indeed. Have you monitored with GPU-Z or HWMonitor or the likes though whether the Folding jobs were really executed on the 1080Ti still?

In the past, I had dual GPU mixtures of AMD 7000 series with Nvidia Pascal, as well as combinations of slightly differently sized Pascals (1070, 1080, 1080Ti). This never made any problems for me, besides the little inconvenience of having two GPUs of different throughput in the computer. E.g., it puts some more mental arithmetic into buffering BOINC GPU jobs and performance monitoring than if there were only same GPU models in the computer.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
This could be a problem with mixed chip generations indeed. Have you monitored with GPU-Z or HWMonitor or the likes though whether the Folding jobs were really executed on the 1080Ti still?

I didn't look at the OSD sadly enough but i was certainly eyeballing the client and watching the ppd slowly creep up over like a 5 min period from 1k ppd to the nearly 11k on the 1080ti. I dumped the 660 and cpu from the client the second it found them and deleted the slots the slots as i also had BOINC using 50% of the cpu. I knew the 660 would be a waste for folding why i dumped it immediately after the client found it but i wanted to toy with the dual gaming/folding intended purpose of the KRONOS build. Then make sure it would also post in the slot as a driver too in case i did decide on something like the 1650/1660 cards.

I would try a 1650/160 Super MAYBE in the bottom slot again but i wold need some serious reassurance it would work without it being that much of a disaster. Bad enough i prob punished the team with all the mishaps when i could have left things alone and just kept on happily folding on what i had without interference. Until i am reassured i will wait till my stimulus or when i get paid enough and go with my dual x8 mobo upgrade and 1000 w psu then i will have zero limitations prob on what gpu i want as anything up to a 1080 will be affordable with ease . After all i do plan on those dual Ampere by end of year, i might as well get the party started now.

I do welcome the challenge of the reassurance but you guys don't need to focus your entire day on me, if you insist i will not turn down the help,suggestions and tricks to get it working. You guys are beyond awesome and i thank you guys so far for taking the time with dealing with a noob here in the realms of folding. Maybe in time i can teach some people a few tricks myself? I find knowledge is the best gift anyone can give someone else and i picked up on a few things so thanks for that like Eco mode for example and the pause/fold function to fix stuck wu delivery . :)

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I dumped the 660 and cpu from the client the second it found them and deleted the slots
Another idea would be to keep the slots, and take care that the unwanted ones remains paused. I.e. start folding on the desired slot with right-click on it.

If you have two GPUs but only one GPU slot, F@h will pick a GPU semi-randomly, unless you go into the slot config and specify indexes other than -1 there (i.e. 0 for the card which the system finds first at boot, 1 for the card which is second).

The effect of the pseudo-index "-1" ( = auto) is not really clear to me, TBH. On my dual- and triple-GPU computers which have the same GPU models, the default -1 index in each of the slot configs is obviously sufficient and perfect.

I would try a 1650/160 Super MAYBE in the bottom slot again but i wold need some serious reassurance it would work without it being that much of a disaster.
While I assume that Pascal and Turing can be combined nicely within a single Folding computer, I never tried it (don't have a Turing yet), so it would be better indeed to hear from somebody who actually used such a combination.

Reactions: mopardude87

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Another idea would be to keep the slots, and take care that the unwanted ones remains paused. I.e. start folding on the desired slot with right-click on it.

While I assume that Pascal and Turing can be combined nicely within a single Folding computer, I never tried it (don't have a Turing yet), so it would be better indeed to hear from somebody who actually used such a combination.

Yeah i might do that but honestly how its folding right now its pretty much flawless, the gpu is more pegged then before on the 7700k and the weird desktop lag i had which is another reason why it had me wanting a second gpu and had me running my HD630 sorta is completely gone and this with BOINC using 50% of the cpu. I experienced the same lag without the HD630 enabled and i even had ram and all stock to insure it wasn't hardware. I could never locate the cause of the issue but having the 3900x now its simply gone.

Gonna have to wait a few weeks before i could make any decision and purchase anything unless my stimulus decides to come now or very soon but at this point i am not holding my breathe on that. I am more prone to the new mobo, 1000w psu as by end of year i will need these anyways and the 1070 hold me over more then anything. Why invest in half a busted mobo that barely can do dual gpu if all? As someone on my favorite show once said, no half measures. This about sums up how i feel in a sense now.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
OMG I LOVE THIS SETUP RIGHT NOW! i Figured out the sorcery and magic that is Ryzen Master and those profiles you apply,test and apply and reboot for.

I was hating having to to be sitting here at 3.8ghz loading up 73% of the 3900x and its only sitting at 60 cels at tops . I applied the default settings, let it test and apply and reboot and after about 27 minutes we have this.

I have the clients set to auto run on boot up this config. I will apply eco mode when i go to bed as i will be running BOINC at 90% instead of the current 50%. Don't wanna burn up the chip quite yet on the stock cooler. Yeah Ryzen Master is freaking incredible,its the closest damn thing i ever seen that is sorcery.

Waiting on that NH-D15 before i could have some REAL fun :) May even go AOE, not sure yet how big the biggest i could get that would fit inside a CM500P Mesh? What benefit clock wise would a aoe do compared to a nh-d15?Like in the same exact load as i got now for example? Its a very typical thing i do most of the time. Still doing it right now in fact.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
My opinion:
  • Closed Loop Coolers alias All In One watercooling devices achieve with one pump and two fans, what NH-D15 can achieve with ease with just one fan.
  • NH-D15 is built to last for an eternity.
    CLCs? Not.
  • Watercooling makes a lot of sense on GPUs, where the radiator of an aircooled GPU is obstructed a lot, and a single chip puts out 250 W or so of heat. CPU air coolers have neither problem.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
My opinion:
  • Closed Loop Coolers alias All In One watercooling devices achieve with one pump and two fans, what NH-D15 can achieve with ease with just one fan.
    CLCs? Not.
  • Watercooling makes a lot of sense on GPUs, where the radiator of an aircooled GPU is obstructed a lot, and a single chip puts out 250 W or so of heat. CPU air coolers have neither problem.

Alrighty then, yeah i been looking at that black version of the nh-d15 and its so temping but right now they are $169 instead of the usual $100 i think?

Last edited:

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
My opinion:
    CLCs? Not.
My 2 cents which are a bit different:

If going AIO, go with a 360 variant. Less than a 360 and you might as well go DH15, BUT you need good airflow to the CPU for this to be true. In many cases, with many vid cards (non blowers in particular), the GPU heat will rise right into the CPU fan intake. This airflow issue is rarely an issue for a AIO where you can put the rad at the front of the case and always give it fresh air.

Video card cooling generally requires a custom loop, and the gpu blocks are very expensive. If you go and Spend the cash and work on a custom loop, you might as well include the CPU too.

Durability wise, I’ve had the d5 pump in my custom loop running almost continuously for around 10 years. The Corsair H150i has been running for 2 years solid.... so far no problems, though I suppose I would be less surprised if the AIO pump failed than the d5.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
Alrighty then, yeah i been looking at that black version of the nh-d15 and its so temping but right now they are $169 instead of the usual $100 i think?

A lot of parts are more expensive than normal (or out of stock all together) due to factory closures and shipping delays. Not sure when that is going to change.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
@mopardude87, current German price of the black D15 starts at € 99, which includes taxes. I have no idea about American pricing, but what you have linked seems far too high.

@Endgame124, yes, a positive aspect of watercooling is that there is more flexibility for placement and orientation of the radiator, provided the case fits the purpose.

BTW, while radiators of a 360 mm watercooler or of a 150 mm dual tower cooler are large enough to allow for very quiet cooling of a 142 W CPU like 3900X, this is only of limited benefit to @mopardude87 who still has got a loud air-cooled 250 W GPU, and the high air flow case fans which need to go along with it. I am always puzzled when folks obsess ;-) over CPU cooling but compromise a lot on GPU cooling.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
@mopardude87, current German price of the black D15 starts at € 99, which includes taxes. I have no idea about American pricing, but what you have linked seems far too high.

@Endgame124, yes, a positive aspect of watercooling is that there is more flexibility for placement and orientation of the radiator, provided the case fits the purpose.

BTW, while radiators of a 360 mm watercooler or of a 150 mm dual tower cooler are large enough to allow for very quiet cooling of a 142 W CPU like 3900X, this is only of limited benefit to @mopardude87 who still has got a loud air-cooled 250 W GPU, and the high air flow case fans which need to go along with it. I am always puzzled when folks obsess ;-) over CPU cooling but compromise a lot on GPU cooling.
Someone would be totally crazy to take the 6x gentle typhoon AP-45s they had on their last water cooling build and put them on their H150i. High airflow on a 360 AIO just to try to hit 4.4 GHz on a 2700x. Totally insane ;)

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Oh so the desktop and your recommendations Mark have been incredible, i got all this open and 4 tabs in chrome and i applied a new profile of default under a custom profile and rebooted to immediate let it fold again. These temps and memory usage are after a little over a hour of operation. I have not altered anything since your recommendations so yeah thanks again. :) Room is still close to 80f as you can imagine this dumps heat a bit and i got ac set to 78f and my door to my room is closed for privacy reasons. I opened window and got fan blowing in fresh air now so these temps should in theory improve soon!

I know i posted this in the other thread but i think Markfw deserves recognition as he private messaged me quite a bit with recommendations to get the most out of this rig. Now about that 16gb ram upgrade so i could get 95% usage out of BOINC without running out of memory.

Edit: added note of me opening window with fan blowing in fresh air. Also updated picture.

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
That moment you're 2 days from a $1,200 stimulus and got plans to do things to beef up the folding rig and suddenly it starts crashing as of last night.

First i am thinking its the 1080ti cause i am like oh give me a reason why i should justify a 2080ti RIGHT now but after missing with LLC a bit with no results i figured will start the process of elimination. Pulled the soundblaster without a crash in hours. Oh that would be perfect cause i had plans to remove the soundblaster for a pair of usb phones anyways. Was starting to feel like it was 2005 all over again with the stinking soundblaster. I must have been the last person in the world to have a dedicated soundcard. Looked a bit tacky with a molex connector hooked up to it for the rgb strip.

Oh i put LLC to high out of the normal settings, got it back to default profile. 3.9-4ghz with it fully loaded and only hitting 81cel is damn respectable i think.

• Haha
Reactions: Assimilator1

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Still no crash since last night and i crashed quite a few times yesterday so it was the soundblaster. Well it certainly would appear like it cause since that post my rig been going full tilt without as much as a slowdown.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Ah man Negan cracks me up with his one liners! :D
I think my favourite one might be where he asks the priest if he's got hit 'shittin pants on' & the priest gives the best 'wtf!?' look :D. (I'm assuming you watch TWD).
Err anyway, saw this ;)
Damn, you like it toasty! :tearsofjoy:

Yeah about the temps well my roomie has copd and she gets cold easy and since i am well idk more neutral to things i am not as bugged easily. Yeah not past the mid reason of the latest season though lol.

Edit: must have been tired LOL i posted that in cel ha wow yeah let me fix :D Parting gift for catching that for me enjoy!

Last edited:
  • Haha

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
@mopardude87 I think you mean you have the AC set to 78F, not c. I don't think its set to 172 f. (=78c)

Edit: I see you edited..... WHEW !

And I stopped buying soundblaster products years ago. Ever since they screwed me on a rebate. Ever hear of having to send the entire flap of a box in to get a rebate ? They did that to me. Never buying from them ever again.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
@mopardude87

And I stopped buying soundblaster products years ago. Ever since they screwed me on a rebate. Ever hear of having to send the entire flap of a box in to get a rebate ? They did that to me. Never buying from them ever again.

This one was a gift, it was the AE-5. I miss the sound it produced but not how tacky it looked in the case. A good pair of usb phones will do as nicely :) I don't chase down to many rebates but the entire box really?

Still no crashing, pretty sure it was the soundblaster. I love how easy of a fix that was cause for a second, i was like oh boy the Intel gods were not pleased i switched on over to AMD:D

Last edited:
  • Haha

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Went to bed nice and early just to wake up the same, figured as my friend did my stimulus would be on there nice and early and i was right. Ordered the stuff below and till Ampere is here or a sli compatible motherboard is in stock the config will be complete with these final things.

Dark Rock Pro 4

64gb 4x16gb 3600mhz tridentZ

1tb MP600 nvme

Reactions: hbaade

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Edit: reinstall fixed it, oh i guess since i set up again there is a drop menu that now shows covid-19 as a cause preference. Nice :)

Last edited: