Anandtech vs Tom's Hardware Folding@Home Coronavirus Race thread

Page 35 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Well this is a new one to me, I assume it's still down to the undervolt/clock speed?, but I've not seen the extra error before.

03:16:55:WU01:FS01:0x22:Bad State detected... attempting to resume from last good checkpoint. Is your system overclocked?
03:16:55:WU01:FS01:0x22:Following exception occured: Force RMSE error of 5.92663 with threshold of 5
03:18:41:WU01:FS01:0x22:Completed 1300000 out of 5000000 steps (26%)

Lowered GPU clock to 1266 from 1275MHz.
That was actually the 2nd error for the 1275 speed, I just thought/hoped that maybe the 1st one was a one off as it'd been so long since it had got one.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Can anyone please share any experiences they have with a board like this? I have decided 2020 its all about setting up my new build "cronus" .I want to slap in dual 3080 ti if price is reasonable of course,then my AE5 sound blaster and a 2tb MP600. I hear mixed things but its the only option i know offering so many lanes.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
Can anyone please share any experiences they have with a board like this? I have decided 2020 its all about setting up my new build "cronus" .I want to slap in dual 3080 ti if price is reasonable of course,then my AE5 sound blaster and a 2tb MP600. I hear mixed things but its the only option i know offering so many lanes.

The CPU provides 24 lanes of pcie, 4 of which go to storage.

Pcie 4 doubles the bandwidth of pcie 3, so a board with pcie 4 with a 8x+8x config is equal to pcie 3 16x+16x.

I think the question regarding the board that you linked is, does it have a PLX bridge to add more lanes, and do you need that 3rd pcie 16x slot?

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
The CPU provides 24 lanes of pcie, 4 of which go to storage.

Pcie 4 doubles the bandwidth of pcie 3, so a board with pcie 4 with a 8x+8x config is equal to pcie 3 16x+16x.

I think the question regarding the board that you linked is, does it have a PLX bridge to add more lanes, and do you need that 3rd pcie 16x slot?

I don't need the bottom slot. I would prob get some afterglow usb phones if putting the soundblaster in there caused any issues.

Edit: Derp i forgot, my CM500P Mesh has a spot where i could side mount a gpu. I thought that was useless till now. Means i want to keep my AE-5 then:D

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Was hoping someone had some experience with the board, wasn't trying to go off topic sorry mods. I figured if anyone is doing dual gpu its prob some of the folders. I may skip the above option, dump the AE-5 and go usb on like some afterglow headphones and just run straight up dual gpus then. If i do that then i assume my options REALLY have opened up. I could even skip the nvme drive if a consumer based x570 is gonna fidget with dual gpu and it but i would like to think the nvme could stay in with dual gpus running under a nvlink on some kind of board.

If anyone has any suggestions please share. :) If the MP600 nvme even complicates things i could opt i guess for a ssd but was hoping for the performance and cleaner look of a nvme installed. I wanna buy the nvme very soon but need to make sure its not gonna be a conflict of interest with dual gpus though.

Main focus is maximum dual gpu performance on any given motherboard at all cost but prefer to keep nvme if possible :) I did find this list though but not sure how many more options are out there. Gonna buy said choose board prob closer to Ampere release, still need to make sure a pair of 3080tis don't not cost me my soul first. $1,200 for a 2080ti was a bit more then i was used to seeing.

Last edited:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I would say that's a dream DC rig (for me at least), so yea it's on topic as far as I'm concerned :).

Btw, with that many PCI-E lanes, wouldn't it be more than enough for 2xGPUs & an NVMe drive?

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
A x570 board with an MP600 will work fine with dual GPUs

Thanks for confirming the nvme will be usable.

Edit: decided on what i will be doing so nvm on what i posted if anyone seen it. Its settled on mobo and all the choices for the "KRONOS" build.

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I am about 85% certain my package is coming today as "officially" tracking says it arrived here somehow at 2am despite it saying it got here at 10am yesterday ? Not sure HOW in the name of Hyperion and all that is holy that is possible but ok then. If the package does not come today then i am gonna rant more then a ticked off Dennis Leary/Joe Pesci but will spare the thread and forum it. The rant will be of epic proportions as that is how i vent when TICKED off and like death and taxes i guarantee some NSFW language. It says prepping for delivery which happens right before its out for delivery.

The 15% doubt is warrantied after yesterdays ordeal. Will update this post the second i see it out for delivery on the tracking. Yeah i have had 2 nights of little sleep over the excitement of getting this as it feels like Yuletide/Christmas to me. I waited all day yesterday like a dog at a window waiting for his owner to come home and for nothing LOL.

Package was out for delivery yesterday then some sort of sorcery happened and well it went off the truck then traveled back in time then forward to my location? I figured maybe Thanos from Avengers decided to troll me, manipulate time and do this for fun. Its comical for sure if not frustrating beyond belief.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Assimilator1

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I am about 85% certain my package is coming today as "officially" tracking says it arrived here somehow at 2am despite it saying it got here at 10am yesterday ? Not sure HOW in the name of Hyperion and all that is holy that is possible but ok then. If the package does not come today then i am gonna rant more then a ticked off Dennis Leary/Joe Pesci but will spare the thread and forum it. The rant will be of epic proportions as that is how i vent when TICKED off and like death and taxes i guarantee some NSFW language. It says prepping for delivery which happens right before its out for delivery.

The 15% doubt is warrantied after yesterdays ordeal. Will update this post the second i see it out for delivery on the tracking. Yeah i have had 2 nights of little sleep over the excitement of getting this as it feels like Yuletide/Christmas to me. I waited all day yesterday like a dog at a window waiting for his owner to come home and for nothing LOL.

Package was out for delivery yesterday then some sort of sorcery happened and well it went off the truck then traveled back in time then forward to my location? Tracking was BEYOND broken. Damn sure its coming today or else that rant and me going offline to do it will be MUCH warrantied.
Don't be too sure or too pissed. Even when it says "on truck for delivery" I had it once (and I think it was my 3900x) that the truck driver could not find my package ! Another good one.... I had a package say it was damaged (light buls) and 2 months later it showed up ! The box looked horrible, but inside the bulbs survived ! And I wasn't charged for it, since the original was auto-replaced !

• Wow
Reactions: mopardude87

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Don't be too sure or too pissed. Even when it says "on truck for delivery" I had it once (and I think it was my 3900x) that the truck driver could not find my package ! Another good one.... I had a package say it was damaged (light buls) and 2 months later it showed up ! The box looked horrible, but inside the bulbs survived ! And I wasn't charged for it, since the original was auto-replaced !

Yup i am not used to UPS doing this as usually its reliable for me. I avoided Amazon cause of my hatred for Fedex/Smart post. I updated the previous post on the last part about a theory on why it happened as it did. Its a joke but its all i got that could possibly make any sort of remote sense. I figured the thing that shall not be named is the reasoning behind this incident.

Sucking down a energy drink called Reign with its 300mg of caffeine so i could manage to stay awake all day, hopefully get this package as i need to work on 3 computers all getting upgrades. My friend going from a 2500k to my 7700k then my htpc is going from a Dell oem with a i3 2100 to a custom build based around the 2500k. I may order a Xeon and slap the 8gb from the Dell oem into the htpc and PRAY it can handle some newer games. Slap in a 1070/2060 as its better for folding so i hear perhaps as soon as my stimulus arrives then the htpc/gamer/secondary folder will be topped out. I know from prior experience with a friends rig that a i7 3770 was bottlenecking a 1070 ever so slightly at least in BF4:)

Edit: made mention of the 2060 for folding so i added that in there. Torn between the 2060/1070 but i hear the 1070 gets less ppd?

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Yup i am not used to UPS doing this as usually its reliable for me. I avoided Amazon cause of my hatred for Fedex/Smart post. I updated the previous post on the last part about a theory on why it happened as it did. Its a joke but its all i got that could possibly make any sort of remote sense. I figured the thing that shall not be named is the reasoning behind this incident.

Sucking down a energy drink called Reign with its 300mg of caffeine so i could manage to stay awake all day, hopefully get this package as i need to work on 3 computers all getting upgrades. My friend going from a 2500k to my 7700k then my htpc is going from a Dell oem with a i3 2100 to a custom build based around the 2500k. I may order a Xeon and slap the 8gb from the Dell oem into the htpc and PRAY it can handle some newer games. Slap in a 1070/2060 as its better for folding so i hear perhaps as soon as my stimulus arrives then the htpc/gamer/secondary folder will be topped out. I know from prior experience with a friends rig that a i7 3770 was bottlenecking a 1070 ever so slightly at least in BF4:)

Edit: made mention of the 2060 for folding so i added that in there. Torn between the 2060/1070 but i hear the 1070 gets less ppd?
I sold all my 1070's, but I remember them getting 700k, but my 2060's get over 10 million regularly. If somebody with a working 1070 can reply to verify this.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
I sold all my 1070's, but I remember them getting 700k, but my 2060's get over 10 million regularly. If somebody with a working 1070 can reply to verify this.
Mine have been in the 700,000 range, and avg a bit more with the Covid-19 units. At least they appear to.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Thrice I have had FEDEX packages on the truck and out for delivery a day earlier than expected. Thrice, said packages later said, well, they were not due until tomorrow, so, eh, we didn't bother you and took them back to the dispatch at the end of the day. :mad::mad::mad:

My local postal carrier is quite silly as well. Packages on the truck and out for delivery....I see the carrier go to the mail box, and drive away. Several hours later, she is back, with packages, puts one at the front door, and one at the garage door. The hell?!? lol

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Thrice I have had FEDEX packages on the truck and out for delivery a day earlier than expected. Thrice, said packages later said, well, they were not due until tomorrow, so, eh, we didn't bother you and took them back to the dispatch at the end of the day. :mad::mad::mad:
What do you have coming ? EPYC stuff ??

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
The 3900x is up and running in eco mode, so far its meeting all expectations then some. Boosting to 3.8-3.9 with ballpark 58-73% usage depending on whats going on. Temps are sync on threads it seems but its not pushing past 59cel on stock with fan at 100% at 47cel on profile.

When i mean sync its like all the threads hit the same temp at the exact same time it looks like . If this is by design or a MSI AB flaw i got no idea. Intel chips don't do this for me ever, one core like on my 7700k will hit 81cel while the rest hit mid 70s even if its at 100%....

Got BOINC using 50% and F@H pushing the 1080ti with Origin downloading games currently, it barely pushes past 60% if that.

So the verdict on the 2060/1070 may be that the 2060 pushes more ppd? I saw some mention of a 2060 pdd thread maybe i should look at it?

Reactions: VirtualLarry

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
So the verdict on the 2060/1070 may be that the 2060 pushes more ppd? I saw some mention of a 2060 pdd thread maybe i should look at it?
Here is the link to the "Folding@home GPUs PPD Price Watt" database again:

If you use the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite for dual GPUs, then the second GPU may be slowed down somewhat due to the connection: CPU -> 4 lanes of PCIe v4 -> X570 southbridge acting as PCIe switch -> 8 lanes of PCIe v3 -> GPU. While a direct connection with 8 lanes of PCIe v3 is perfectly fine for Folding@home, I don't know (a) whether the X570 is able to translate the full bandwidth of the 4x PCIe v4 link to the 8x PCIe v3 link, and (b) whether the increase in latency due to the switching matters or not. (In a normal PCIe v3 to PCIe v3 switch, that extra latency wouldn't really matter to Folding@home, I believe.)

Further, as @Fardringle mentioned in the other thread, check how many PCIe power connectors the PSU has available.

Reactions: mopardude87

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Here is the link to the "Folding@home GPUs PPD Price Watt" database again:

If you use the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite for dual GPUs, then the second GPU may be slowed down somewhat due to the connection:

Further, as @Fardringle mentioned in the other thread, check how many PCIe power connectors the PSU has available.

I will just drop in a 1650 Super and it should just work, the 3900x in eco mode has me happy with a stock 1080ti so together that shouldn't cause a single issue in theory with wattage. I got a extra 8 pin of course. Not in mood to gamble on the higher end cards prob choking the psu and not in mood to dump tons of cash on a new unit well not yet anyways. I could do the cash dump assuming Ampere is worth doubling down on with a dual x8 mobo.

Worst case the 1650 super presents issues with the config, i go back to a single gpu and well my friend on her 1050ti gets a hefty upgrade then her 1050ti goes to my friend using my spare 4670/4gb gtxx960 rig. In the end its not a wasted purchase. I got a 660 in the htpc i could prob plop into the slot to pre test for any issues.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
I will just drop in a 1650 Super and it should just work, the 3900x in eco mode has me happy with a stock 1080ti so together that shouldn't cause a single issue in theory with wattage. I got a extra 8 pin of course. Not in mood to gamble on the higher end cards prob choking the psu and not in mood to dump tons of cash on a new unit well not yet anyways. I could do the cash dump assuming Ampere is worth doubling down on with a dual x8 mobo.

Worst case the 1650 super presents issues with the config, i go back to a single gpu and well my friend on her 1050ti gets a hefty upgrade then her 1050ti goes to my friend using my spare 4670/4gb gtxx960 rig. In the end its not a wasted purchase. I got a 660 in the htpc i could prob plop into the slot to pre test for any issues.
Check on the price of a 1660 Super when you’re shopping for the 1650 super. They are fairly similar in power usage, but more ppd out of the 1660 and I caught a EVGA 1660 super on sale + a mir that made it pretty close price wise to the 1650

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Check on the price of a 1660 Super when you’re shopping for the 1650 super. They are fairly similar in power usage, but more ppd out of the 1660 and I caught a EVGA 1660 super on sale + a mir that made it pretty close price wise to the 1650

I put my gtx660 in to see what would happen, if the board would let me use it as a primary driver and well i was in for a rude awakening. My 1080ti suddenly then couldn't even do 11k ppd estimated. I remove the 660 and the 1080ti is back to norm on its current unit and a 1.1mill estimated ppd . I heard this could be a issue mixing gpus but prob not gonna bother getting a gpu for this thing then. It could be a generational thing but i did fresh reinstalls of stuff and it made zero difference.

I had hopes i could perhaps play a few older titles as the 1080ti folded but nope, not in the cards i guess. Gonna wait till i get a proper dual x8 sli/nvlink compatible board then just double down on Ampere. Maybe i am meant to save every nickel for just that? Good things come to those who wait so i will just save my money.

Thanks for your input though, i do value it . :) I did look at those options but the 660/1080ti left a bad taste in my mouth.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sucking down a energy drink called Reign with its 300mg of caffeine so i could manage to stay awake all day
I drink those. Multiples of them, per day, sometimes. (!) Pretty good "kick" overall, and IMHO, not as harsh as some other energy drinks.

I now get Rockstar (Zero-calorie) energy drinks from walmart.com shipped to me by the case. ($24-35)

They have new "Thermo" Rockstar cans, that are kind of like Reign. (Which is really just another brand of Monster, though I MUCH prefer Reign's formulation to Monster's. Monster drinks give me palpitations, sometimes, even after just one. Reign, not really.)