Anandtech vs Tom's Hardware Folding@Home Coronavirus Race thread

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Is 91-92cel a safe temp for a 7700k with a 4.5ghz oc? Not sure if the voltage is to high or if the fan hanging off end of the 1080ti is blowing hot air into the hyper 212 but yeah i paused cpu folding. Was loading at 1.280-1.296v as well as it folded....

The oc oddly is a weird one, i didn't initiate it. Some odd setting broke the oc settings i guess?
Intel's datasheet says a max T-junction temp of 100C.... Hovering over that explains that it is the max die temp. Seems a little hot to me, even with avx tasks. If you haven't already taken off the side cover, try that. If it has been a year or more since the cooler was installed, maybe try and re-paste the heatsink. I am getting high 60's with 130w TDP Xeon's, using the 212 Hyper.

Your chip is supposed to auto-boost to 4.5....but not at a high load. Many of the MB makers employ auto-OC tech in BIOS. Might also poke around there.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Your chip is supposed to auto-boost to 4.5....but not at a high load. Many of the MB makers employ auto-OC tech in BIOS. Might also poke around there.
Some boards of that era, will enable MCT (multi-core Turbo, a type of OC), when you enable XMP setting for the RAM, automagically.
Might see if your board does that, and adjust accordingly.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Some boards of that era, will enable MCT (multi-core Turbo, a type of OC), when you enable XMP setting for the RAM, automagically.
Might see if your board does that, and adjust accordingly.

Derp, yeah i did enable XMP but oddly never seen it act this way. Hmm i guess MCT is working then, thanks for the heads up. :) Usually stick the cores to a 4.2ghz all boost or something so its not dropping below,i guess doing that disables MCT all together. This time i kept it all stock and enabled XMP and maxed out my fans rpm.

Edit: Bios may be corrupt, everything i apply the little of things it results in the Bios freezing and like the 4.7ghz auto oc setting defaults to 4.2ghz. At least the voltage is down to a reasonable 1.23v. Offsetting it a hair drops it to a point everything including desktop freezes. So glad i am not touching another Asrock junker.....

This 7700k is a lemon, i got the voltage down to 1.20v at 4.5ghz and it still crashes. Yeah i got a 4.4ghz 1.248v now once i shut off MCT. The slightest of tinkering with the voltage causes a crash or freeze, not sure why i got a Z270 if every oc setting breaks stability. Not that i am incapable the board refuses to play nice with me.

Last edited:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Yea my 2nd rig does something similar (It's an Asus X79 m/brd of some sort), it would jack up one of the CPU voltages (not just vcore, but VCCSA*) after setting the RAM to XMP, god knows why, no need for it! Once I only found out after a few weeks of burning more juice!:mad: (yes I had vaguely noticed it was running a bit warm, lol). And at least once it reverted to the higher voltages after a crash! Bear in my mind my i7 is the older Ivybridge CPU, incase it makes any difference.
*Just checked my notes, for 4.1 GHz it put vcore from 1.13v to 1.3v & VCCSA from 1.1v to 1.3v!! Which took system wall draw from ~241w to ~268w running DHEP and raised CPU temps by 10C to ~66C!

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Yea my 2nd rig does something similar (It's an Asus X79 m/brd of some sort), it would jack up one of the CPU voltages (not just vcore, but VCCSA*) after setting the RAM to XMP, god knows why, no need for it! Once I only found out after a few weeks of burning more juice!:mad: (yes I had vaguely noticed it was running a bit warm, lol). And at least once it reverted to the higher voltages after a crash! Bear in my mind my i7 is the older Ivybridge CPU, incase it makes any difference.
*Just checked my notes, for 4.1 GHz it put vcore from 1.13v to 1.3v & VCCSA from 1.1v to 1.3v!! Which took system wall draw from ~241w to ~268w running DHEP and raised CPU temps by 10C to ~66C!

Dang what a mess, yeah i got it finally stable at a 4.4ghz loaded at 1.248v and its sitting closer to 84cel on the hottest core. Plan on spending night at friends house out of town, not needing a 91-92cel chip possibly melting while i am gone so why the panic so to speak to fix the voltage issue. Hopefully i pick up more gpu wu while gone too :) My windows upstairs are left open, should bring in a nice breeze and help with temps too.

Reactions: Assimilator1

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Lol, yea that's better, although still quite toasty, does it need that much [edit]vcore to run at 4.4 GHz?
Psst, btw, if you've got any lock down rules in place in your area you might wanta delete a part of your post! And of course not go out (again, if you have the rules on);)

Last edited:

Unolocogringo

Nov 3, 2016
Nice output! :), you've got considerably more firepower than I have by about x5, lol. My F@H stats. I could possibly reduce that to x4 if I fired up my ancient 2nd rig's GPU ;).
What spec is your rig?

You guys did way more than ok, you did damn well! :)
Running 2 older computers.
Both are Phenom 2x6 @3.6
8 gig ram
Asus Dual 1070 @1974-2000 in one
EVGA 1070SC @1984-2012 in the other.
Just GPU folding, Stopped CPU folding on them when I upgraded to 1070s a couple years back.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Good game all, took me back to the old days. Too bad the irc no longer exists, sup LD, ViRGE, KingHam, Postman, etc, etc.
Virge is still around (sometimes under a different name ;)), don't recall seeing LD in many years, I don't know about the last 2.

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Lol, yea that's better, although still quite toasty, does it need that much [edit]vcore to run at 4.4 GHz?
Psst, btw, if you've got any lock down rules in place in your area you might wanta delete a part of your post! And of course not go out (again, if you have the rules on);)

It should be loading closer to 1.17v from my readings but any slight adjustment to it causes instability. Even messing with LLC does nothing. It's a dud of a chip or the board is junk. I am grateful its running much better at 4.4ghz though.

So hyped for this 3700/3900x upgrade, not gonna miss the 7700k all that much. Trying to budget my upcoming stimulus/may check for the platform/2080ti upgrades and unless i get a B450 for the 3900x i may be stuck with waiting till june on a 2080ti. Not like a B450 MSI B450 Tomahawk Max is a bad deal either for a 3900x at stock.

Few things came up so 2080ti will have to wait till May at the soonest but all good things come to those who wait. :)

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
It should be loading closer to 1.17v from my readings but any slight adjustment to it causes instability. Even messing with LLC does nothing. It's a dud of a chip or the board is junk. I am grateful its running much better at 4.4ghz though.

So hyped for this 3700/3900x upgrade, not gonna miss the 7700k all that much. Trying to budget my upcoming stimulus/may check for the platform/2080ti upgrades and unless i get a B450 i may be stuck with waiting till june on a 2080ti. Not like a B450 MSI B450 Tomahawk Max is a bad deal either for a 3900x at stock.

Few things came up so 2080ti will have to wait till May at the soonest but all good things come to those who wait. :)
If you have to wait until June for the 2080ti, maybe hold out for 1 or 2 more months to see what the 3000 series looks like? Its estimated to be teased in July (maybe a Titan tease?) and fully revealed in August and available for purchase in September:

I would hate for you to spend the money on a 2080ti only to find out 2 months later you could have gotten 40% more performance for the same price.

Alternatively, the Evga step up program gives you 90 days to upgrade, so maybe get a Evga card? I've never tried step up right around a new product launch though, so YMMV...

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
If you have to wait until June for the 2080ti, maybe hold out for 1 or 2 more months to see what the 3000 series looks like? Its estimated to be teased in July (maybe a Titan tease?) and fully revealed in August and available for purchase in September:

I would hate for you to spend the money on a 2080ti only to find out 2 months later you could have gotten 40% more performance for the same price.

Alternatively, the Evga step up program gives you 90 days to upgrade, so maybe get a Evga card? I've never tried step up right around a new product launch though, so YMMV...

Yeah It's going to be the $1099 model off Newegg off EVGA and yeah i may do the 90 day deal maybe . Been on the fence but i spend about $550 monthly on my indica/computer/coin hobbies so a Ampere upgrade certainly can be affordable earlier in the next year.

I live in the here and now usually, i upgrade if i crave or want it unless something new is a week or a month or 2 away. I rarely deny myself anything and if i get a Ampere upgrade just means everyone else i know gets a upgrade as well. Got a friend who would prob kiss my feet if he got my 2080ti, he is 4k/8k scaling in most of his games and his 1080 ti could use a upgrade.

Given where the rest of the computers sit hardware wise, prob would put my old 1080ti into my best friends rig with my old i5 8400t , move his 3gb 1060 into the roomies rig with a 4gb gtx960. Should be a 50% increase i believe then in turn this htpc with a 660 will get a 4gb gtx960 which is like a 25% bump?

Edit: the guy with his 1080ti is extremely attached to his stuff, like me we connect i guess with the things that make memories and allows us to have fun. Its why i got a gtx285 in my closet with 20 odd hours on it. I had beautiful experiences back in the day on one. Based on his nostalgia i may not even do this 2080ti idea, i think of others over myself quite often when it comes to upgrades. His 660 in this htpc rig as we speak, we recycle and let the memories live on!

Last edited:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Not like a B450 MSI B450 Tomahawk Max is a bad deal either for a 3900x at stock.
IIRC that was the mbrd I was looking at, good power delivery & cheap, but apparently a really badly implemented audio system! Hence I got the mbrd I have (see sig).
If it's just a crunching rig then I guess it doesn't matter ;), otherwise you might want to look into it.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
New version of f@h available. I don’t suppose updates are as easy as running the installer / rpm on top of an existing install?
I have now done it in windows and linux. In both cases, I lost most of my expert config (client-type=beta) and by slot config (I only had GPU, it deleted that and added CPU). But in both cases, it retained my identification and passkey and I just installed over the old. Windows had no prompts. Linux acted like it was a scratch install, but saved my identification.

Reactions: TennesseeTony

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Too bad there isn't a built in auto update function. Then the built in installer could save off the config files and reload them when done. I extracted the exe with 7-zip, but not sure what the _xx.pvd files are (possibly still next extraction upon install - meh).

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Still going to fold till the end of the month, since I didn't get in on the beginning of the challenge. Weird sound that sounded like the bearings were going on my Noctua fans disappeared (!) - so I've put off the installation of my AIO. Getting like, 1 or 2 GPU units per day right now - boo hoo.

Reactions: TennesseeTony

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
I have updated fahclient and fahcontol to 7.6.9
Here are the steps I took:
Set control to "finish" first and waited for the current wu to finish.
stopped client with term command: sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient stop
Downloaded the files from fah website and installed on top of existing.
It kept all my settings including expert, and while it took a couple of minutes to get a new work unit, it did so without intervention from me. But it was NOT instantaneous.
Part of upgrade is an advanced choice of projects. With FAH Control select configuration>advanced tab. In dropdown box select project, or leave on all.
All my rigs are updated and working with minimum effort. (for Linux :))
There is still have some lag time on uploads and downloads.

Last edited:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Wish I hadn't bothered updating now :mad:, apart from it didn't go to my default install place, when I removed the C drive one it also removed the F drive one & deleted my details! So I started over & now it refuses to put in the GPU slot after I deleted the CPU slot! And for once (recently) I actually have to get up slightly early tomorrow as well!
[edit]Restarted it, GPU slot is now there :), but the CPU slot has come back!

Reactions: mopardude87

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
New version of f@h available. I don’t suppose updates are as easy as running the installer / rpm on top of an existing install?
The announcement thread is here but there's no mention of preferred method of installation. There is a change log and apparently you can now choose Covid-19 as preferred disease.
@biodoc, the thread which you linked has been removed. But here is another one:
https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=34429

And there is a brief announcement on the main web site. It says that work is underway a) in bug tracking/ bug triage, and b) development of new open source F@h software with a plan to involve the wider community in development. (More info to be posted soon.)