Anandtech vs Tom's Hardware Folding@Home Coronavirus Race thread

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
Is this linux or windows ? In linux you have to do this to get the GPU to be recognized:

cd /var/lib/fahclient

sudo wget http://fah-web.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/GPUs.txt

I think windows does that automatically.
That was very helpful! I now see both my GPUs in the list. However, I still have an error that libcuda.so is not found. I gather I'm going to have to download a package for CUDA to use FAH? If so, where do I get it? For what its worth, I dropped my 1080 in this linux box because I wasn't currently using it anywhwere... I've never actually tried to use video in linux for anything other than the random display to get things setup. My other GPU in this host is a GeForce GT 710... likely can't even fold on that one.

Where is the preferred place to get drivers as well? I followed a guide (https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fedora-30-nvidia-guide.html) to configure rpmfusion, but I only found the 390 drivers. Not sure if I should find a way to upgrade to 418.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
That was very helpful! I now see both my GPUs in the list. However, I still have an error that libcuda.so is not found. I gather I'm going to have to download a package for CUDA to use FAH? If so, where do I get it? For what its worth, I dropped my 1080 in this linux box because I wasn't currently using it anywhwere... I've never actually tried to use video in linux for anything other than the random display to get things setup. My other GPU in this host is a GeForce GT 710... likely can't even fold on that one.

Where is the preferred place to get drivers as well? I followed a guide (https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fedora-30-nvidia-guide.html) to configure rpmfusion, but I only found the 390 drivers. Not sure if I should find a way to upgrade to 418.
do this:
sudo apt install ocl-icd-opencl-dev

and 390 is fine. When mint loads up, it has a welcome screen that if you choose drivers, it will give you the list to choose from. If you don't use mint, I don't know, but 390 should be OK.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
So is there anything that can or should be done to get these stuck WUs that won't send to actually send?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
So is there anything that can or should be done to get these stuck WUs that won't send to actually send?
I have 2 of 12 stuck. No idea... I think we just have to weather it out until they fix things.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
do this:
sudo apt install ocl-icd-opencl-dev

and 390 is fine. When mint loads up, it has a welcome screen that if you choose drivers, it will give you the list to choose from. If you don't use mint, I don't know, but 390 should be OK.
Smoked my fedora install trying to go back and forth between opencl and cuda - boot gets stuck immediately after network loads.

I’ll rebuild tonight as there was nothing critical on the box, but I’m not sure Fedora 30 plays terribly nice with F@H

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Smoked my fedora install trying to go back and forth between opencl and cuda - boot gets stuck immediately after network loads.

I’ll rebuild tonight as there was nothing critical on the box, but I’m not sure Fedora 30 plays terribly nice with F@H
Use cinnamin mint 19.2 . Runs perfect. And this is coming from a linux idiot.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Unofficial last 24 hour

Toms Hardware 108m
Anandtech 140m

Me 14m
mark honest question and u can pick and choose what to answer.

1. Why do u spend tens of thousands of dollars on personal computer parts to have them do F@H?
2. Do the computers do anything else during normal daytime hours?
3. Who pays the electricity bill?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
mark honest question and u can pick and choose what to answer.

1. Why do u spend tens of thousands of dollars on personal computer parts to have them do F@H?
2. Do the computers do anything else during normal daytime hours?
3. Who pays the electricity bill?
1) I lost my bladder, prostate, hearing and balance to cancer.
2) Nothing but F@H, BOINC (cancer research)
3) Me of course. $742 last month.

Any more questions ?

borandi

Feb 27, 2011
So it looks like LTT might be contributing a 10gig pipe to F@H :D

Plenty of people even here have offered systems and resources to help.
FAH has also got Microsoft and Github working with them to help.
The project doesn't need more network bandwidth, they need more storage bandwidth. LTT's pipe (a) won't do much and (b) pales in comparison to what help they're getting from MS.

borandi

Feb 27, 2011
Just woke up to find my internet has been down from about 30 minutes after I went to bed. Every system ran dry, and I've missed quick return bonuses on the lot. :(

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Damn :(, my single client on my RX 580 keeps running out of WUs too, was idle for 3hrs until just now.

Btw, whose LTT? (Google didn't help :p)

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
It's good for my frame of mind that I've got four computers in the race. That way it doesn't bother me if some of them aren't busy all the time. :-)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Just got a friend of mine to join our team, IIRC he's got just a modest i5 system (no discrete GPU atm). But every little bit helps :).
Not sure of his F@H name atm [edit] Nil_point.

Last edited:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
That was one of the ones I saw in Googles list ;), thanks.

Btw, currently crunching project 11760 on my RX 580, which is supposedly a CPU project only! Wth is that about? lol

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
In the better late than never category: I have edited my original FAH guide in case someone stumbles across it. But since @biodoc (thanks) has edited and posted it here already, I am not showing the url here. No need to muddy the water with multiple guides.

Also, it looks to me like Stanford has given up control of FAH, and we are dealing with multiple Universities. One reason the old guide links don't work is they point to Stanford. The new links are non-specific. If anyone knows the details of please post.

Answered my own question: Team Members
and: Consortium

Last edited: