AnandTech needs to add a new discussion section..... MEDIA STREAMING SERVICES

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
So we have Hulu, Vudu, Netflix, Amazon, Roku, SlingTV, DirecTv Now, HBO Go, Youtube, etc etc.
I'm probably forgetting a couple zillion.
It would be interesting to discuss these services, their dependability, features, pluses and minuses, costs, reliability, content offered, downfalls and pitfalls.
Online streaming being the future of TV minus the TV, and with adding such a discussion section to the forum would be quite useful and informative I would think.
So many services out there now, and so many more coming on the horizon.
Online streaming is the future and the game changer in news and entertainment. So why not discuss it? In one place? Like here?
With what I've learned with just comparing SlingTV to others like DirecTv Now, that could fill a book.
And if we haven't noticed, entertainment providers have been moving away from hardware.
That is, if they hope to survive. That in itself is quite a game changer.
Satellite TV minus the satellite dish. Scores of movies and shows available on demand.
Will here be a time sooner than we expect when anything live will be absolute?
Online streaming services could be the achilles heel for broadcast tv, tv towers, and ota everything.

Hardware is out. Apps and steams are in, or soon will be the case.
I think people would enjoy the discussion so why not do that here, on AnandTech?
(my 2 cents as it were)

Thread moved from Off Topic, ironically, as some of the subsequent discussion will make clear.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Don't see the need for it. It can probably all go under "Audio/Video & Home Theater". To be honest, your best bet is to go to avsforum.com or someone who's primary focus is on this type of thing. They even have a streaming content section of the forums. I wouldn't say hardware is out because you can't stream/receive/view content without a piece of hardware.

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
SlingTV sucks. Kept crashing almost every time I tried to watch it, both on TV and PC.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I tried Kodi. What a FUM that thing is. Not worth the effort.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I don't think you should use toenail clippings in potpourri, but maybe I'm just a traditionalist.