AnandTech Mobile Forums

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
6a0120a85dcdae970b0128776faf6b970c-pi
Absolutely love this picture. I work as a designer in engineering so I can definitely relate to this.

Back on topic, it is probably a bit too easy to criticise the new mobile skin when browsing on 5"+ flagship phones as you have the performance and screen space to easily use the desktop version. My thoughts anyway:

● The lack of a desktop mode button from launch is a massive oversight.

● I have a Sony Xperia Z3 and the default style button also does nothing for me.

● A dark themed skin should be an option.

● Design. Is the number of replies in brackets really necessary? Maybe some more horizontal space between each thread would help more to separate the threads or maybe doing something more sophisticated with the design? Tbh, currently it looks like the skin was made in Excel.

● A way to change forum without going back to home first.

● Removing the list of active members from the home screen. Is this really necessary on a mobile screen?

Last edited:

Ophir

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001
The mobile skin is a disaster. Unusable. How did this make it through testing? I hope none of the devs ever gave MS crap over Windows 8.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Any updates on this? Honestly, I would be happy if I could just get the regular site on my (Galaxy) phone again.

Feb 4, 2009
Default style button still does nothing and I still cannot create a thread in off topic.

Windows phone 8.1

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I noticed today that posts from my phone do not show my sig (saw this when I came back to the regular site). Is this normal?

chubbyfatazn

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2006
Bigger buttons, at least for the page number buttons.

Clicking on a thread link takes me straight to the last post. Would prefer that to be an option instead of default behaviour.

After clicking the yellow bar to expand an inline image to its full size, clicking it again doesn't shrink the image back.

Extra unused (scrollable) space to the right of the screen whenever an inline image appears in a thread, regardless of size of said image (whether or not it's expanded to full size).

Not that I expect a response, just sharing thoughts.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Ryan and Jpishgar:

We have many qualified and experienced mobile devs here. Do you need help with the mobile site or is it not going to be addressed?

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Editing a post (on Windows Phone, at least) leaves HTML/plaintext formatting in the reply box, and it shows up in the post after saving.

4jszls.png

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
No post preview or Advanced page for composing is really hurting. I miss the post number on each post that I could link directly to if need be. Are you sure the mobile version tried to preserve ANY functionality? Lost functionality is as God-awful as any mobile site ever.

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
Just noticed in the samsung browser that there is a desktop option. Byebye mobile version.

Yes but it doesn't 'save' and I pull up the forums all the time. We need a permanent option in user settings or something....or is there one?

MOBILE SUCKS.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I don't like being a Negative Nancy, but after a few weeks of trying out the new mobile site I have decided to re-install Tapatalk. As flawed as it is, Tapatalk at least offers some of the functionality that I require. Imo, your mobile site is just too stripped down to be of good use to me. Perhaps I am "doing it wrong," but I can't find a list of threads in which I have participated, can't access any part of my profile, and can't see which threads have had activity since last read. And, to cap it off, for the life of me I cannot figure out how to quote a post. Long press does nothing, and there are no buttons around any of the posts to press. If any of these things are addressed or are possible and I am just too dumb to figure out, please post some instructions for mobile noobs.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
On my Galaxy the Reply button actually Quotes, and the blank field at the bottom Replies. I'm with you though crashtech, and use the mobile forum as little as possible.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
As ugly and stripped down as the mobile site is, it really helps cut down my battery usage when broswing this site. I don't use Tapatalk partially due to wating to reduce use of redundant apps, but it (the desktop site) hammers the battery in a hurry. The mobile website tones down the resource use and can even help with older/slower devices.

I have high hopes for a visually pleasing mobile site, or even a leaner desktop site instead.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
As ugly and stripped down as the mobile site is, it really helps cut down my battery usage when broswing this site. I don't use Tapatalk partially due to wating to reduce use of redundant apps, but it (the desktop site) hammers the battery in a hurry. The mobile website tones down the resource use and can even help with older/slower devices.

I have high hopes for a visually pleasing mobile site, or even a leaner desktop site instead.

I've been using the non-official mobile site for years and like the look and speed of it, but it's lacking some features as the official one is. It's still preferable to the new one for me, though.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Look at this crap:
[I realized that there are "Game of Thrones" spoilers from the TV show in my screenshot. I tried to convert to a link but then it only worked in Tapatalk. If you don't want it spoiled, just look at the formatting.]
a571993f77a6fd2d9ebf93182ec93dca.jpg

It's not even formatted correctly on mobile. Fail. Fail. FAIL.

The ellipsis and buttons for Reply, First, page 17, and page 67 are all overlapping. The three-digit page numbers are making the page wider than the posts, which makes the post area smaller with even less view port area on the already limited screen size of a mobile device (don't forget about the contextual Last button when fixing this). The quote buttons are labeled incorrectly as "Reply" even though there is another Reply button at the bottom. The Up, Submit Reply, and real Reply buttons are too damned close to each other for no damned reason (it shouldn't be easier to fat-finger on mobile but, somehow, you've managed).

That's an iPhone 6 Plus, portrait orientation, not zoomed (Apple presents a zoom option to all users at initial setup).

Fire someone.

Even with all this FAIL, I might actually use the mobile version for the Hume thread if it would override my 100 posts-per-page setting so that I could browse the Hume thread without crashing my mobile browsers. I'd be fine with 10-25ppp on a mobile device and 100ppp on desktop. As it is, I have to change EVERYTHING to browse that thread even though there is a mobile-specific version. Isn't that the kind of scenario that might justify a mobile version?

Last edited:

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
Every issue described above shows up on an android based phone.

Many of these problems have been identified over the past few months; when are they to be addressed.

Or are we going back to the old FT attitude? :thumbsdown:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
If a word ends right at the end of a line, this version will not let me space between the next word. It takes the word to the next line and combines the two. The only way to fix this is go back after finishing the second word and put in a space.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
There hasn't been any word from the mods in this thread, so it's been my assumption that the mobile site has not changed. I'm ok with using Tapatalk, but would like to give the mobile site another whirl if it gets better.

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
Scrolling ad showing on mobile again. :mad:
1/2 hieght and 3/4 width of screen.

Initially shows on lower right quadrant

You have to slide it off the screen to use the forums. No close option for ad

Have not determined the frequency of trigger for it.

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
Scrolling ad showing on mobile again. :mad:
1/2 hieght and 3/4 width of screen.

Initially shows on lower right quadrant

You have to slide it off the screen to use the forums. No close option for ad

Have not determined the frequency of trigger for it.

It is back :mad:

Has happened in this, software and all social sub forums

Now showing up when ever entering a thread that has not been visited yet today and even sub forum directories that i have visited

This ad is related to the LG G4 phone

Last edited: