AnandTech Ivy Bridge Performance Preview - Including iGPU Performance

Ryan Smith

The New Boss
Staff member
Oct 22, 2005
www.anandtech.com
Hi guys;

We've been working on a little something over the weekend that you might be interested in. On the CPU side Ivy Bridge is largely a tick - a die shrink for a reduction in power consumption and manufacturing costs - but on the GPU side things are far more interesting as I'm sure many of you are aware.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5626/ivy-bridge-preview-core-i7-3770k

Cliff notes: It won't beat Llano, but it is upwards of 40% faster than HD3000 (SNB)

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
boo :p, only confirms what we were all expecting, ie 5-15% faster with improvements to the GPU being the emphasis

right now I guess I really only care about how well Ivy can overclock and the rates we'll be able to hit, guess we'll just have to wait a little longer

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
That's a shame... I was expecting more from IVB. Perhaps drivers will improve by launch. Pleasantly surprised on the CPU side of things however.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
I went to check out the OC section, but it didn't exist...

Edit: Also Quick Sync just got super stupid...

44734.png

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Pretty nice numbers for just a die shrink. Good to see buyers can get more performance for "free."

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
If a transcoding type app could make use of cpu/ and the internal igp at once, I'd imagine 400 fps type performance. The key is software. Might the AMD part not be performing well because of non-optimization ?

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
If a transcoding type app could make use of cpu/ and the internal igp at once, I'd imagine 400 fps type performance. The key is software. Might the AMD part not be performing well because of non-optimization ?

A gpu is still a general purpose processor, just optimized for parallel processing. Intel's QuickSync is dedicated video encoding hardware so it can be much faster and use less space and power. That said, it at best has limited reconfigurability, while a gpu could be programmed to do almost anything. (although most people's needs are much less than "almost anything")

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Wait for it....

Why aren't their any benchmarks for how many FPS it gets in VLC?

Jionix

Jan 12, 2011
"Note: This preview was not sanctioned or supported by Intel in any way."

Is that really true?

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Looks like the i7 3820 with its 3.6ghz stock speed is absolutely no match period for the i7 3770k at 3.5ghz.

Feel sorry for anyone who bought a uber expensive x79 motherboard and i7 3820 cause the lower tdp 3770k outperforms it in every way making it a bad purchase.

Not earth shattering performance but the fact it pulls less power then a i5 2400 makes it appealing.

From the chipset comparison charts,the z77 and the z68 look basically identical,besides different a different usb 3.0 config.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
On the CPU side, amazing value. On the IGP side, it's an improvement but the overall situation is kinda funny-

3870k, for presumably about half the price, is superior for gaming if you are going to rely on IGP

And if you are going to buy a graphics card, you will likely spend more for an AMD GPU than you spent on the 3770, though admittedly a much larger portion of that money goes to the OEM rather than AMD.

Still, I find it a funny situation.

(Or you could pair the 3770 with an nvidia card, but until nvidia actually produces something that would just be silly)

DarkRogue

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2007

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Nice, right in line with what most were expecting. Nice drop in TDP along with a modest increase in power and a great jump in video power. The quicksync performance is really nice.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
Quite disappointed in the GPU. Sometimes 50% faster, but often not even that. On the CPU I didn't expect more, but I did expect still lower power consumption. So all in all, I'm not impressed.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Awesome review as always and nice to get it this early. As others have said though, the most wanted information is overclock potential, at stock the chip is slower than a 4ghz Nehalem most likely. Need OC potential :cool:

Jionix

Jan 12, 2011
Intel is closing the gap on iGPU performance, but only on Llano. Trinity will reestablish AMDs lead on igpu performance. Then it will be the same argument again --- CPU performance or GPU performance.

Image quality is still very questionable. I am sure Intel has optimized for the Ansio bench to make it seem like they have improved their algorithms. Have they really? What is Intel doing on LOD bias?

In game quality is what I would be interested in seeing --- side by side.

Khato

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2001
Nice, right in line with what most were expecting. Nice drop in TDP along with a modest increase in power and a great jump in video power. The quicksync performance is really nice.

Even current SNB quicksync performance is nice, but rendered mostly useless for the simple fact that I've not yet found any software that allows for 2-pass encoding using it? In fact, out of all the ones that I tried only Mediacoder had acceptable video/audio options, though it only uses quicksync for the encode portion. So yeah, I'm hoping that the 2-pass thing might just be a restriction of SNB that'll go away with IVB, otherwise it's pretty useless for high quality 1080p transcodes where size reduction is the main objective.

tincart

Apr 15, 2010
I will be in the market for a new laptop this year, and I will wait to see what Trinity can do before buying. However, I very much doubt that AMD is going to bring out something more compelling than Ivy.

Mar 10, 2006
Not sure why anybody cares about the IGP for a $330 performance desktop part. I think I will continue to use the high end socket variants of Intel chips out of principle -- don't want IGP junk sitting in my box.