AnandTech Gaming Server Updated 6/16

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Maybe buying some refurbished parts can help out too. Just an idea, I'll look around for some refurbished deals.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
go to office max next week and get a 40gb HD for FAR after coupon . should be useful for some stuff

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Is anything happening with this? Or has it just completely died out, maybe if some of the staff members wanted to help out, I'm sure we could get one going easily.

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
I picked up a couple of the 40 gigers, I am trying to put together what I have right now when I get a complete server I'll post another update. right now I'm going to set up some temporary hosting just so we have somthing.

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
well I got a working and installed server (without a case) running on a barrowed power supply but it works, I'm working with it making it as secure as possible, its running a copy of windows 2003 server that I picked up at the windows 2k3 launch event. I have a UT server installed on it right now and am working on others. as soon as I am confident that its secure I'm going to stick it up my cable modem and give her a wirl in the real world.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: narzy
well I got a working and installed server (without a case) running on a barrowed power supply but it works, I'm working with it making it as secure as possible, its running a copy of windows 2003 server that I picked up at the windows 2k3 launch event. I have a UT server installed on it right now and am working on others. as soon as I am confident that its secure I'm going to stick it up my cable modem and give her a wirl in the real world.

Cable modem? Thats only temporary, right? What kind of connection will it be on after that?

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
6 up 6 down mbits

Nice connection, that'll do gvery well. How did you get such a nice connection on a cable modem? None of the providers here give more than 384kbps upstream and 1mbit downstream.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003

When will that happen? Once you get it working and we get some exposure like in the Off Topic section, this can really go somewhere.

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001
That's what I was thinking. This needs exposure in Off Topic or For Sale / For Trade

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
well, it WAS working, it's been tanking it on me today, I think its eather the UT server, or the BF1942 server demons that are running. trouble shooting now...

jaybert

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2001
well, if you find some stuff that can run on freebsd (bf1942 doesnt apparently), my box is still available. All those oc3's going to waste.....they're just waiting to be used!

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
jaybert, I'm looking in to it, I had a similar offer, had them all green light it, but it fell through, I think they will do it again but I have to propose it, which is about 2 hours worth of work for me, no biggie its on my list :).

jaybert

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2001
i have no idea what you're talking about, maybe you have my box confused with someone elses :p

this is my personal box. All I need is someone who can setup the server, and I can give em a shell on it, and let them set it up.

The specs of the box are: thunderbird 800mhz, 512mb ram running freebsd. The specs arent that great, but not much really runs on it. I basically just use it as a personal webserver

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the best part. Its co-located in a datacenter in Dallas, running on multi-homed oc3s.

My friends over at http://www.gamedaemons.net host the box for me as a favor.

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
/me feels sooo stoopid

sorry, too many projects ;) might hit you up on it here shortly, just to make these ATers who've been wating for ever some action until I can afford to finish the box. :).

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
/me feels sooo stoopid

sorry, too many projects ;) might hit you up on it here shortly, just to make these ATers who've been wating for ever some action until I can afford to finish the box. :).

What else is needed to get it up and running?

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
me to be in town. ;) I'm going to do a review here in a few days, sorry I've been lacking on this guys, I've had to deal with some pretty heavy family issues that has taken much of my time.