Question [Anandtech] AMD Details Renoir: The Ryzen Mobile 4000 Series 7nm APU Uncovered

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

trivik12

Jan 26, 2006
I want to see laptop with highest build quality/components. Thinkpad, XPS, Spectre level. Ones linked are gaming ones will run hot. I am not a gamer. I currently have a Spectre 2 in 1 with Core Y chip.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
IPC jump is definitely not 25%. 25% figure is cumulative of IPC(~15%) and clocks(~8-9% effective).

That s right, it s not 25% but "only" 23% better IPC in MT and a little less in ST, according to AMD s own numbers, the comparison is surely made with Raven Ridge wich is slightly below Picasso (3% MT IPC improvement from Zen to Zen+).

mtcn77

Feb 25, 2017
It is a matter of whether AMD just patched adaptive clock, or went the whole profile bin tuning route. You can have wee bit of clock stretching at the turbo bins, however it is blind faith to assume that is how mobile thriftiness is supposed to work. Either the bins need near voltage threshold calibration, or another idea which is where my genious shines;
'EDC' tuning: normal operation with edc is, the cpu starts stretching its profile bins, not adaptive clock. Think of it as a limited slip automatic clutch, yes it has to give, but not enough to lose torque on the hills.
AMD needs to merge how sense m.i controls edc throttling with adaptive clock stretching. The genious is there, they just need to ask the Llano guys how they put gpu load ahead of the cpu speed profile. Such a hierarchy can be framed between adaptive clock leading up to near voltage threshold edc throttling & operating in between vdroops.

mtcn77

Feb 25, 2017
I wanted to elaborate; right now edc and adaptive clock both operate, but not as a single field. EDC does not command the voltage step. It drops bins upon vdroop, but doesn't have a facsimile cpu bin voltage stretching feature. It could have a normative voltage field offset just as adaptive clock has a base clock offset and they could sort out a reciprocal near threshold voltage function, adaptive clock through speed and edc through voltage potential may form two halves of the same voltage step function maintaining the uppermost bin.

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
Asus Renoir APU Mobile Powered Mini PC is coming to the market.

"PN50 supports a single 8K display at up to 60 Hz and also supports up to four displays with 4K resolution at 60 Hz through HDMI, DisplayPort over dual USB-C and user-configurable ports,2 without any limitation on the combination."

mtcn77

Feb 25, 2017
Asus Renoir APU Mobile Powered Mini PC is coming to the market.

"PN50 supports a single 8K display at up to 60 Hz and also supports up to four displays with 4K resolution at 60 Hz through HDMI, DisplayPort over dual USB-C and user-configurable ports,2 without any limitation on the combination."
This is good. People are asking for tv boxes and I cannot recommend them one that just doesn't feature MadVR quite the way I like it.

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
Last edited:

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Low cost compact PC using a 4500U reviewed at Computerbase :

3-630.4634791a.jpg