anands little article on XBOX360 and PS3 CPU's

Jun 14, 2003
its just hilarious

all that power they've been touting and it turns out that real worl perormance of xbox360's cpu is roughly twice that of the original intel powered xbox

and sonys SPE array shoots itself in the foot by not having enough local memory for the SPE's to do much useful

i find this all rather amusing

but at the end of the day, it doesnt matter how crappy they are....when GT5 is announced people will buy a PS3, i know i will

Continuity27

May 26, 2005
I never really expected them to compete with the high end PCs as far as pure graphical and computational power, but that's not all games are about.

My primary gaming machine is the PC, but I'll still buy these, there's fun to be had.

The thing that's really funny though is the "End of the PC platform for gaming" arguments...

cirrhosis

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2005
It's humorous - not a console fanboy has responded. The silence is deafening. We all knew these consoles were overhyped - now AT has proved it right. Never intended to pick up one of the next-gen systems; at least by building PCs, I know what performance I should expect and get what I paid for.

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Continuity27
I never really expected them to compete with the high end PCs as far as pure graphical and computational power, but that's not all games are about.

My primary gaming machine is the PC, but I'll still buy these, there's fun to be had.

The thing that's really funny though is the "End of the PC platform for gaming" arguments...

this article probably lays that to rest

the cpus are not what developers wanted...the SPE's are not very helpful, and the performance of IBM's chips comes no where near A64's and P4's. the CPUs are narrow and in order (i understand that out of order CPU's are better for performance?)

game developers proabably wont even get to utilise the 6 threads the xbox360 can compute, anand saying 2-4 at the max, and even then the majority will be single threaded still

far as im concerned...the PC already beats these two. cpus are more powerful, and the RSX is basically a higher clocked G70, and theres bound to be a 7800Ultra waiting in wait for ATI

the only thing these have going for them is PRICE, at 299 you could buy 2 xbox 360's for the price of two cards for an SLI system

Continuity27

May 26, 2005
Hopefully what these consoles will do, though, is help push game developers into writing more multithreaded code. Not everything done in one thread needs to be single threaded. Some types of processing can benefit from multiple threads, that's what the game programmers need to work on.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Just what I have expected, it's all hype. For cost alone, a console CPU will never be as powerful as a computer CPU, and it doesn't take too much sense to realize that. On the other hand, the GPU is a different story because graphics is the most important aspect of a console, but it wouldn't take long for computer graphics to overtake them.

Continuity27

May 26, 2005
Originally posted by: mooncancook
Just what I have expected, it's all hype. For cost alone, a console CPU will never be as powerful as a computer CPU, and it doesn't take too much sense to realize that. On the other hand, the GPU is a different story because graphics is the most important aspect of a console, but it wouldn't take long for computer graphics to overtake them.

7800GTX SLI > both of those graphics processors already. ;)

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Personally, I couldn't care less about such things...

Does the system play kickass games, or doesn't it? I have three very capable PC's, but since I can't play God of War, Forza Motorsport, Resident Evil 4 (etc) on them, the comparisons between CPU's (or any other single component) is completely irrelevant.

There will always be some games/genres that are more enjoyable on the PC and some that are more enjoyable on the console. Who cares about the rest?

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
LOL

Someone needed to grab Intel's attention to produce a custom PM chip for its low heat and high gaming performance. AGEIA too. Screw dual/multicore/SPEs, go parallel with a PPU.

Sony might be best off with their Cell because it should at least be good for HT functions. However if Microsoft can sell their 360 for $300, it?d be a real hurt on Sony who seems to have a $400 price tag in mind.

The interesting part seems to be Nintendo. They?ve not hyped up their hardware and someone high up even admitted the CPU would only be a few times faster than the GameCube. All of the sudden it doesn?t look like they?ll be that far behind in hardware performance. Then there is their desire to offer affordable gaming, perhaps their system might even debut at $200 like the GameCube.

Things keep getting interesting.

BitByBit

Jan 2, 2005
So much for the Cell offering performance equal to ten opterons, as some articles predicted!
Kudos to Anand for keepin' it real.

Frown66

Mar 11, 2005
Yea, that is odd. The link is not on the front page anymore. That article was a good read too. I wonder if someone made them take it down...

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
Wierd! It was a very downbeat article. Maybe Billy boy called up Ananad and had a nice friendly chat.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
INteresting...I smell scummy lawyers...Probably threatened them with lawsuits for exposing the truth....

How laughable from what I have ead about it.....The fanboy console guys thought this would kill a modern cpu...It is also funny how some of those cool demos amazed ppl until I pointed out it was an mpeg2 recording of it and there was no way to knwo if the cell cpus actually processed or decoded like the 30 some different HD videos....It is all marketing BS like I said then...Wait until reality hits...

darianandre

Mar 24, 2005
I read it at work and was a little surprised. AT isn't usually that mean. It was one of the best articles I've read on there though. Don't believe the hype!

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Probably got pissed off from all the media hype and bullsh^t that preludes these things, and felt the consumers should know they are being mislead...Probably just a big let down as well....

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Did anyone save the article, or have it cached? I tried finding it in with Google, but had no luck. I don't know if I just couldn't find it or if Google didn't have time to get it cached. Any suggestions on where to look.

I imagine hundreds of lawyers form MS and Sony were upset that Anand was trying to burst the hot air hype bubble.

Bearsfan

Jun 30, 2005
I'm more apt to think the article got pulled because it seems like it is filled with a bit of hyperbole. Anand thinks too PC like with his console articles and it shows. Consoles are not PCs. A 'lowly' 733 celeron and 64 megs of ram (XBox) is pulling off Half Life 2 with HDR at 30FPS!