Anands Core-X power consumption results unique on the Internet

Intrepid3D

Jun 20, 2017
Intel advertise their Core-X CPU's as 140 watt CPU's, yet if you go to any reviewer on the Internet the actual power consumption of the 7900X is 30% higher than what Intel rate them at.

Any reviewer that is other than Anand, who just so happen to result 1 watt under Intel's advertised TDP.

This of course also makes Anand the only reviewer who say the 7900X uses less power than Threadripper, the rest of the Internet saying the opposite.

The only reaction i have to that is 'untrustworthy', its WTF Anand? are you just copy and pasting something from Intel?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11697/the-amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-and-1920x-review/19

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Intel advertise their Core-X CPU's as 140 watt CPU's, yet if you go to any reviewer on the Internet the actual power consumption of the 7900X is 30% higher than what Intel rate them at.

Any reviewer that is other than Anand, who just so happen to result 1 watt under Intel's advertised TDP.

This of course also makes Anand the only reviewer who say the 7900X uses less power than Threadripper, the rest of the Internet saying the opposite.

The only reaction i have to that is 'untrustworthy', its WTF Anand? are you just copy and pasting something from Intel?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11697/the-amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-and-1920x-review/19
That was interesting info about the power to the mem controller versus the cores.

imported_bman

Jul 29, 2007
From the Anand review:
For our power testing, we run Prime95 for at least 60 seconds then use software to poll the integrated power counters on the chip to get results. Depending on the CPU, we can get data for the full chip, per core, DRAM, uncore or integrated graphics – it relies on our tool being up to date or the registers for this data to be known. Normally this way of reading the power consumption can be a smidge inaccurate compared to more invasive methods, it is quick and scriptable, and it is this data that governs if and when a CPU is hitting power limits and needs to adjust fan speeds/frequencies to compensate.

Uhmm...

power.png

Power_handbrake_dGPU-9.png
THREADRIPPER-59.jpg

Last edited:

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Other reviewers are measuring whole platform power.
Well that is the point, who cares about isolated power numbers, you won't get charged for that only but for a whole system power draw. I'd call these AT numbers useless but they actually do have some value as they provide insight into how power is distributed on the platforms. For practical purposes these numbers are meaningless.

Intrepid3D

Jun 20, 2017
Well that is the point, who cares about isolated power numbers, you won't get charged for that only but for a whole system power draw. I'd call these AT numbers useless but they actually do have some value as they provide insight into how power is distributed on the platforms. For practical purposes these numbers are meaningless.

Precisely, recalculating power consumption by assuming this and that so remove this and that much to come up with a number at the end based on assumptions rather than what its actually pulling at the wall is incredibly misleading.

Just as misleading as Intel's TDP ratings.

BTW, who uses Prime95 everyday? its a synthetic application just for stressing CPU's, that's it, its not even close to anything real world and it thwarts AMD's SenseMI so is again misleading.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Just as misleading as Intel's TDP ratings.

The idea that anything about TDP is misleading usually comes from not knowing or not understanding the term TDP.

According to AMD, "TDP is essentially the maximum sustained power a processor can draw with “real world” software while operating under defined temperature and voltage limits."

According to Intel, "TDP represents the average power, in watts, the processor dissipates when operating at Base Frequency with all cores active under an Intel-defined, high-complexity workload."

Intrepid3D

Jun 20, 2017
The idea that anything about TDP is misleading usually comes from not knowing or not understanding the term TDP.

Its when you take advantage of people not knowing the difference to make it appear like your chips are more power efficient than they actually are is when it becomes misleading, that is my point.
You can bet your life Intel do not tell motherboard manufactures the CPU only uses 140 Watts, its just what they print on the box and call it TDP so they can get away with it knowing to most laymen TDP = power consumption.

Intel can make a chip that uses 200 watts and call it a 140 Watt 'TDP' chip because TDP is used as a recommendation for cooling solutions, this is exactly what they did, it doesn't change the fact that its actually a 200 Watt CPU and a 140 Watt Cooler would melt on it.

As far as i can see Anand are just playing along with that by configuring their power consumption results in such a way that they agree with Intel...

Trust gone....

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Its when you take advantage of people not knowing the difference to make it appear like your chips are more power efficient than they actually are is when it becomes misleading, that is my point.
You can bet your life Intel do not tell motherboard manufactures the CPU only uses 140 Watts, its just what they print on the box and call it TDP so they can get away with it knowing to most laymen TDP = power consumption.

As far as i can see Anand are just playing along with that by configuring their power consumption results in such a way that they agree with Intel...

Trust gone....
I think you are just plain wrong and looking for excuses where none are needed.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012

It's not the only one. Excluding power virus programs there are other examples: https://www.computerbase.de/2017-08/amd-ryzen-threadripper-test-1950x-1920x/6/

In Blender and Cinebench Threadripper uses more power than 7900X. Or here another example: http://www.hardware.fr/articles/967-6/consommation-efficacite-energetique.html

dwade

Jun 25, 2017
oc-power.png

Efficiency goes out of the toilet once you put moar cores into Ryzen. Even worse when you up the clockspeed.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
AT hasnt had good reviews since they got bought out, i dont trust them to be fair and honest like they used to. I have moved onto other sites for reviews.

Reactions: ZGR

Intrepid3D

Jun 20, 2017
PcPer are the same, all their reviews are suspect ^^^^ some of them also go against the grain and look completely made up.

Go with the masses, its a shame Anand who used to be my go too are becoming increasingly suspect. Toms Hardware are another one.

Precisely, recalculating power consumption by assuming this and that so remove this and that much to come up with a number at the end based on assumptions rather than what its actually pulling at the wall is incredibly misleading.

That ^^^^^ goes for all the other ones surfacing who ignore the power differences at the wall "system power consumption" and recalculate.

If the otherwise identical Threadripper system is pulling 250 watts at the wall and the Core-X 320 watt then there is a 70 Watt difference, that difference is down to the CPU.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
Is this much ado about nothing? Package power comes from processor sensors; variance from different methods of measurement.

You can view package power in HWiNFO (Windows).

Intrepid3D

Jun 20, 2017
Is this much ado about nothing? Package power comes from processor sensors; variance from different methods of measurement.

You can view package power in HWiNFO (Windows).

Software is never accurate.

The easiest and best way to do it is use an external power meter.

Intrepid3D

Jun 20, 2017
Reactions: ZGR

rainy

Jul 17, 2013

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
For our power testing, we run Prime95 for at least 60 seconds then use software to poll the integrated power counters on the chip to get results.

There's no possible way that could be fudged. Nope. No sir.

Reactions: tential