Anand has a prescott?

rgreen83

Feb 5, 2003
Anand's new review of the 9800xt and nv38 state that the hardware is tested on a prescott platform, at the bottom here. No other mention is made, now if Anand has a prescott, why is he holding back on us. I would rather see the benchmarks on a new processor core than very minor speed bumps for the same graphics cards weve already seen. Please, Anand fill us in!

rgreen83

Feb 5, 2003
Sorry, again, Ive been reading AT daily for about 2 years but I just dont check who writes the articles. Where did Evan confirm that they have a prescott? and does he say why they havent given us any info, like when to expect release/review?

redpriest_

Oct 30, 1999
A quick comparison of some of the benchmarks they used in the A64 review (using the same video card - the Radeon 9800 pro 256) confirms that at 2.8 ghz, the prescott gets owned.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: rgreen83
Sorry, again, Ive been reading AT daily for about 2 years but I just dont check who writes the articles. Where did Evan confirm that they have a prescott? and does he say why they havent given us any info, like when to expect release/review?

Evan himself. Sadly with the NDA he cannot say much other than confirm it was a Prescott.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: bgeh
apparently there are 3 speed versions
the 3.2, 3.0 and 2.8

and 3.4 GHz, obviously
*edit* Doesn't Anandtech has a policy of reviewing videocards with the fastest processor possible so as to try to minimize CPU bottlenecks? If so, it would be an interesting choice of CPU. Comparing the scores to the A64's review, the Prescott 2.8 GHz is definitely slower than the 2.0 GHz A64, assuming the settings were the same on both tests. We'll see once we get the formal review.

CPUtrader

Jul 2, 2002
I will say it's definately a Prescott and Anand gives it away here.

Just highlight the hardware test platform. It will highlight the word "Prescott" next to the word processor.

There you are.

SuPrEIVIE

Platinum Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: CPUtrader

Just highlight the hardware test platform. It will highlight the word "Prescott" next to the word processor.

There you are.

it only says "2.8GHz Intel Processor" i see no indication of prescott...and if it is a prescott he is using the i875P intel board??? i though 875 won't work?

EDIT:UNLESS ITS A NEW 875 BOARD FROM INTEL

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: SuPrEIVIE
Originally posted by: CPUtrader

There you are.

it only says "2.8GHz Intel Processor" i see no indication of prescott...and if it is a prescott he is using the i875P intel board??? i though 875 won't work?

EDIT:UNLESS ITS A NEW 875 BOARD FROM INTEL
"Prescott" is in a white font right after "Processor". Use your curser to hightlight it and it will magically appear.

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: redpriest_
A quick comparison of some of the benchmarks they used in the A64 review (using the same video card - the Radeon 9800 pro 256) confirms that at 2.8 ghz, the prescott gets owned.

i don't get why people say things like this...

do you do it to start a big flame war?

everyone knows already that the A64 is a GREAT chip... what's the point of making statements like the one you make...

anyway...

good news to hear that prescott is starting to come out to those super cool people...

:)

rgreen83

Feb 5, 2003
hehe, when i started this thread it did say prescott, CPUtrader *edit* (and the venerable Wingznut) are *edit* right that it is still there but they changed it to a white font. tricky, tricky....

I hope Anand or Evan will let us know something about its performance before its official release, as that isnt until late november/early december says the Ink.

My guess is that it is only 2.8ghz because it is an engineering sample meant for quality testing, not meant to represent final shipping product, so it doesnt need to be a 3.4 or whatever.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
People should be so negative to the initial Prescott reports.

Don't expect much out of Prescott until the shrink to 90nm.

jbond04

Oct 18, 2000
Originally posted by: MadRat

The Prescott has always been at 90nm. It was designed and will be manufactured on that process.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: jbond04

The Prescott has always been at 90nm. It was designed and will be manufactured on that process.
jbond is correct about 90nm... Also, all "initial reports" are based on a pre-production stepping. And as rgreen83 pointed out, these samples are only meant to quality test setups (compatibility, power, etc.)

No different than when "initial reports" showed that Hammer would fail to meet expectations.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
90nm, really? The internal bandwidth of the Prescott should set it way apart from the older Pentium-4. They probably got the thing crippled, Celeron-style, as far as connections and associativity to the internal caches.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
90nm, really? The internal bandwidth of the Prescott should set it way apart from the older Pentium-4. They probably got the thing crippled, Celeron-style, as far as connections and associativity to the internal caches.
Where do you come up with such wacky ideas?

Spicedaddy

Platinum Member
Apr 18, 2002

:confused: