Analyst: Crysis sells 66,000 units?

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
I didnt think Crysis would sell extremely well due to it's strict hardware requirements and PC only release--but I wouldnt have guessed this (I'll post this in the console forums to discuss the console portion of this post):

Software

November 2007 is expected to trounce November 2006 sales, raking in $1.15 billion in the US, a 42 percent year-on-year increase. High profile titles drove the crowded holiday market: Guitar Hero 3, Halo 3, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Assassin?s Creed, Call of Duty 4, Mass Effect, Need for Speed, Super Mario Galaxy and WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008 all performed well.

EA and Crytek?s highly anticipated FPS Crysis fell flat, The simExchange predicts, with just 66,000 units sold. While the game garnered much interest leading up to its November release and highly positive reviews, only a small amount of the market had the hardware required to run the game adequately.

Divnich also said that cannibalization among key late-year FPS titles on PC was a prominent theme in November.

Here are key software predictions from The simExchange:

Assassin's Creed (PS3): 272,000 units
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Xbox 360): 833,000 units
Crysis (PC): 66,000 units
Manhunt 2 (Wii): 46,000 units
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii): 242,000 units
Mass Effect (Xbox 360): 328,000 units
Rock Band (Xbox 360): 152,000 units
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii): 1,270,000 units
Unreal Tournament 3 (PC): 78,000 units

NPD results are slated for release on Thursday, December 13.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index....=view&id=8279&Itemid=2

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
UT3 didn't sell very well either, and that is virtually multiplayer only. any idea if we can get COD4 PC sales? it'd be interesting to compare the 3

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex
you need more than pretty graphics to sell a game.

Have you played the game? It's far from a tech demo--I really enjoyed the game overall.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
UT3 didn't sell very well either, and that is virtually multiplayer only. any idea if we can get COD4 PC sales? it'd be interesting to compare the 3

Yea, I'm curious as well. I think we might have to wait until Thursday.

karioskasra

May 4, 2005
There are only two PC titles on that list and their performances are dismal compared to the rest. 1.2 million for Super Mario Galaxy vs 78k for UT3? I can see why Bioware and Epic are favoring consoles.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Clearly not a complete listing, as AC reportedly sold (not shipped) 1 million copies in its first week between PS3/XBox360. But ya I'm not surprised by the Crysis #s at all, the massive press it got leading up to its released did more harm than good imo. Being the butt of every video card/tech joke for 3 months prior to release isn't a good thing. I kinda knew things were looking bad for Crysis when EVGA was bundling it with their cards a few days after Crysis released.....

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
That's too bad that Crysis didn't sell well. It's a good game IMO. Nothing revolutionary play wise, however.

Still, I can see this making other PC game developers gun shy with making another super graphics intense game.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
For myself personally - and I'm not sure if this is the same as for other people - I've just been overwhelmed by all the games coming out lately that I want to play through. I'm still yet to get to CoD4 (just ordered), the Witcher, and Crysis... Not to mention the Company of Heroes and Supreme Commander expansions, Hellgate: London (maybe)... This after I just got through stuff like Orange Box, GoW, WiC, back to Bioshock. It's been a very crowded half-year as far as PC Games are concerned, and I'm loving it, but between this stuff and classes I'm having a hard time keeping up lol.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: NYHoustonman
For myself personally - and I'm not sure if this is the same as for other people - I've just been overwhelmed by all the games coming out lately that I want to play through. I'm still let to get to CoD4 (just ordered), the Witcher, and Crysis... Not to mention the Company of Heroes and Supreme Commander expansions, Hellgate: London (maybe)... This after I just got through stuff like Orange Box, GoW, WiC, back to Bioshock. It's been a very crowded half-year as far as PC Games are concerned, and I'm loving it, but between this stuff and classes I'm having a hard time keeping up lol.

Same here and if you couple the fact that I simply cannot play Crysis on my rig without making a lot of compromises just means I'm not buying it until I can experience it in the proper way. Thus far I've heard nothing compelling about the gameplay or story that makes me want to go out and buy it right now and put up with the compromises.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
Originally posted by: ayabe
Originally posted by: NYHoustonman
For myself personally - and I'm not sure if this is the same as for other people - I've just been overwhelmed by all the games coming out lately that I want to play through. I'm still let to get to CoD4 (just ordered), the Witcher, and Crysis... Not to mention the Company of Heroes and Supreme Commander expansions, Hellgate: London (maybe)... This after I just got through stuff like Orange Box, GoW, WiC, back to Bioshock. It's been a very crowded half-year as far as PC Games are concerned, and I'm loving it, but between this stuff and classes I'm having a hard time keeping up lol.

Same here and if you couple the fact that I simply cannot play Crysis on my rig without making a lot of compromises just means I'm not buying it until I can experience it in the proper way. Thus far I've heard nothing compelling about the gameplay or story that makes me want to go out and buy it right now and put up with the compromises.

Yep, that too... The demo is beautiful but runs like ass. I've heard the full version runs better (dual core support, maybe more), but I'm still tending to play through other games before Crysis at this point.

Not to say I won't have it after Christmas though, I can't wait THAT long XD.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: warcrow

Have you played the game? It's far from a tech demo--I really enjoyed the game overall.

Yes, I own it. I got to a certain point and have no more interest in playing it. It's boring as hell.

badkarma1399

Feb 21, 2007

Yes, I own it. I got to a certain point and have no more interest in playing it. It's boring as hell.

I disagree. I thought it was really fun.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It may be a good game, but most of the pre-release hype I've heard about it centers around the engine and how it will require top notch hardware to run. Crytek hasn't done themselves any favors by going out of their way to emphasize that it needs all manner of expensive hardware. People aren't going to buy games like that; a number of people here (like me) are holding off on it because our rigs currently aren't fast enough, and most gamers in general have much weaker systems than the average ones around here.

I think what's more surprising is that UT3 doesn't appear to have done much better. There is no issue of high hardware requirements there and the UT series has a large established fanbase.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004

I'm curious--did you buy/play Far Cry?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

Didn't pont have to post a list of games he liked just to prove that he didn't hate everything? :D

jcenters

May 1, 2007
The answer's simple, really. Crysis is far too hardware intensive, and UT3 just plain sucks.

Release games that are good and don't require a supercomputer to play, and you'll see PC sales. The Orange Box and the Witcher have both been flying off the shelves.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

yes. wasn't impressed with that game either

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: TheVrolok

Didn't pont have to post a list of games he liked just to prove that he didn't hate everything? :D

lol, yes i did, and people still make the comment that i hate everything.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
people who say it takes more then pretty graphics to sell a game, let me point out that the game is fall on your ass amazing to play. I think the porblem is that the hardware reqs were just too high, which would lead m eto beleive it will sell better as better hardware gets cheaper.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: videogames101
people who say it takes more then pretty graphics to sell a game, let me point out that the game is fall on your ass amazing to play. I think the porblem is that the hardware reqs were just too high, which would lead m eto beleive it will sell better as better hardware gets cheaper.

i don't see it.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
count me in for one who wants it and has wanted it for a while but didn't get it.

A major part is just timing. Orange box came out and I'm playing TF2 all the time. Then Guitar hero 3 and Rock band came out, so I'm playing those also. I just don't have time for all of these games that have come out.

If Crysis came out over the summer, I would have bought it right away. I'll probably get it for christmas, but I just don't have the time right now.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004

yes. wasn't impressed with that game either

I'm wondering why you got Crysis then?