Analysis: US now winning Iraq war that seemed lost

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Originally posted by: seemingly random
If the goal is a victory over al Qaeda, then our actions would be akin to using a hundred sledge hammers to kill an ant. And this is just a victory, not crushing them in finality. Something to puff up your chest about...
Should we use chemicals instead? That's what I use on ants.

Another thing about ants is that you can never really completely get rid of them. They'll be back eventually. But you can't just take the attitude of, 'Well, there's nothing I can do.' If you don't take action the ants will over-run you. You have to keep killing them regularly in order to manage them. Sucks, but that's just the way it is with ants.
Here in georgia, with all of the fire ants, you've got to go after the queen. The queen lives 2 1/2 to 3 feet down. The mounds show up in fields a lot if they're not kept mown. Even with bad infestations though, I've never seen anyone dig up an entire field to get rid of them.

Another method I've heard about, but not tried, is to take ants from one mound and put them on another.

And yet another untested method is to feed them rice. They supposedly eat it, expand and explode.
Yep, that's the ultimate goal; the queen. In reality you need two defenses though. One that goes after the queens, because new ones always come along, and another that protects the borders of your home. Just in case you don't get all of the queens, and you can never get them all, you still want to keep those pesky worker ants out.
Funny about the home borders. The ants will swarm anything that dies on the porches and stalls. For example, when the carpenter bees have their domination battles in the spring each year, there will be bee bodies here and there. If I let the ants have at it, they'll devour the bodies in a few hours and then disappear. There is dog food in the bowls inside several hours a day until it's all eaten and the ants never come inside. Lucky, I guess. Actually, last summer, I did find a few ants during the drought, but after it started raining in late summer, didn't see anymore.
Lucky you.
I thought you'd be relieved. I've never told this story to anyone before. Thank you for letting me purge.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Originally posted by: Tab
I can't believe this thread is still continuing.

I know, me either! :confused:

At this point, I'm taking TLC's refusal to respond to me as a victory. As well I should, considering the bar for "victory" in Iraq has been set so low that we may as well start applying the same standard to everything else.

Haha, burn.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Yes, throw enough money and lives at a war and you can eventually win. It's still moronic, like so many fascists on the right.

No one with half a brain believed that we were *losing* the war, the general consensus was that our war there was ineffective, which, on the whole, it has been - it's been what, 5 years now? What do we have to show for it? A nearly 10 trillion dollar deficit and a dead Muslim leader who actively opposed Al-Queda. Wouldn't we have been better served by seeking out and crushing the rest of the Taliban? We could have prevented a lot of damage, not to mention the terrorist surges in Afghanistan as of late.

OP, you and the rest of your right-wing fascist nimrods are patting yourselves on the back for correcting one mistake while creating several others. You get a D- for effort.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I actually like the analogy about the ants, at least no one is saying we have to kill them to save them like GWB is basically saying in Afghanistan and Iraq.

When the cure is worse than the disease itself, there is something wrong with the cure.