Analog Clocks in Cars

Analog Clocks in Cars

• Stupid, tacky, and pointless. Who can tell which arm is which when you're going 140 MPH anyway?!

• Totally awesome; gets all the womenz.

• I don't care either way, I just like to vote in polls.

Results are only viewable after voting.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
I don't get it. I see them in a number of "up-scale" (or wannabe up-scale) modern cars. They don't seem practical, and they don't seem to add anything to the bling factor, IMO.

What gives?

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Had one in my G35. I liked it.

Why do people have analog watches or wind up watches when digital ones have more functions and are more accurate?

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Its nice to have one, though the time should always be mirrored in the instrument panel LCD or stereo LCD for usability.

It's a design element, plain and simplee. It's no worse than anything else like door handles or shift gate pattern. Analog clocks give a warmer feel to the cabin than does a digital clock front and center and it's not exclusive to cheap poser cars. Everything from Infiniti M series to 911s with the Sport Chrono pack to the Rolls Royce Phantom integrate an analog clock in the middle of the dash for style. Give a nicely restrained trimmed clock a nice font and clean dial and arms and it can definitely add to the feeling that whatever you're sitting in is a finely crafted machine with attention to the details.

Last edited:

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
I hated them in the GM cars and trucks... The frick`in little wind up coil crap with the funky contacts to make it work would get just a tiny bit corroded and guess what no more "thunk...!" so no worky... I took more of those silly things apart and sanded contacts till I saw the little winders in my sleep... It was a pretty slick idea though and would not drain a battery down for months but still I was glad to see it go to the way side...

I do for sure prefer analog gauges as opposed to digital and with alot of newer cars and trucks they have the black out look and that is quite nice...

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I can't understand why it takes up so much space on the (MY06 MB E350 4Matic) dash and yet the LCD display in the centre console does not have a clock.

Also hate the puny little analogue clock that was in the early Fusions

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
Had one in my G35. I liked it.

Why do people have analog watches or wind up watches when digital ones have more functions and are more accurate?

Analog watches look more sophisticated and professional than a digital watch. Partly because you can do things with an analog face of a watch to add luxury/expense that you can't do with a digital. An expensive watch is a status symbol first, and a time telling piece second if at all.

In a car, the only reason to have a clock is so that you can tell time. Anything that increases the amount of time it takes me to figure out the time (ie. an analog face) is dumb. Taking a second or two to look at your watch sitting at your desk or walking in a store is not a problem, taking your eyes off the road for 2 seconds while doing 75MPH (220 ft) down the highway during rush hour could have catastrophic consequences.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Analog watches look more sophisticated and professional than a digital watch. Partly because you can do things with an analog face of a watch to add luxury/expense that you can't do with a digital. An expensive watch is a status symbol first, and a time telling piece second if at all.

In a car, the only reason to have a clock is so that you can tell time. Anything that increases the amount of time it takes me to figure out the time (ie. an analog face) is dumb. Taking a second or two to look at your watch sitting at your desk or walking in a store is not a problem, taking your eyes off the road for 2 seconds while doing 75MPH (220 ft) down the highway during rush hour could have catastrophic consequences.

It was a rhetorical question. But anything whether its the odometer, RPM gauge, radio, even digital clock will take your eyes off of the road for just as long as an analog clock.

Anyway, the G35 had multiple clocks. The analog one was mainly for the passengers. There was a clock in the dash as well.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Anything that increases the amount of time it takes me to figure out the time (ie. an analog face) is dumb.

If you can't read an analogue clock with a near-instant glance, perhaps you should revisit that week of elementary school. :p

Seriously though, it doesn't take any longer to read an analogue clock than it does to read a digital one.

ZV

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
If you can't read an analogue clock with a near-instant glance, perhaps you should revisit that week of elementary school. :p

Seriously though, it doesn't take any longer to read an analogue clock than it does to read a digital one.

ZV

It is inarguably easier to read a small LCD number than it is to read a small analog clock regardless of your educational level.

IMG_2148-765604.JPG

What point does having an analog clock that small on the center console serve? I assume it is adjustable as it doesn't even look like it is facing the driver in the photo. A $270,000 car, does that really add any class to the interior? Just looks chintzy to me.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
It is inarguably easier to read a small LCD number than it is to read a small analog clock regardless of your educational level.

IMG_2148-765604.JPG

I was able to read that the clock read almost 6:30 before the picture even finished loading (on a 7 megabit connection). I can't imagine digital being any faster.

Seriously, it's much faster for me to glance at an analogue clock and get a +/- 5 minute time than it is to scan a digital clock. If it takes a person any appreciable amount of effort to scan an analogue clock, there's something wrong.

ZV

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I have one in my Infiniti. Adds a touch of class imho. Similar to wearing a nice analog watch compared to one with a digital display.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
I don't have an Analoge clock in my car, but I can see why it's useful; It's always there. My car has two clock positions, one below the speedo and tacho, but this is an MFD display, so unless I have it on 'clock', it aint got no clock. The second position is the Nav display. It has the time, but it's in the center of the dash, not in my eyeline and it's in small text at the bottom of a seven inch widescreen monitor.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I like the look and it's very easy for me to tell the time. They also typically work when the ignition is off unlike most digital clocks.

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I don't mind them either. I'm far more against anyone putting tape decks in cars still. THAT is low class.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
It can look pretty nice (like in the G35). Can also look tacky if not implemented in the right dash/car interior.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
I was able to read that the clock read almost 6:30 before the picture even finished loading (on a 7 megabit connection). I can't imagine digital being any faster.

Seriously, it's much faster for me to glance at an analogue clock and get a +/- 5 minute time than it is to scan a digital clock. If it takes a person any appreciable amount of effort to scan an analogue clock, there's something wrong.

ZV

Yup... I spotted that it was ~ 6:30 with a glance at the shrunk image and then clicked to confirm...

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
My mom's old Volvo had an analog clock in the gauge cluster that was as big as the speedometer and tach. That tells you something about the intended driving style of the car... all the time in the world.

NoCreativity

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
I can't understand why it takes up so much space on the (MY06 MB E350 4Matic) dash and yet the LCD display in the centre console does not have a clock.

Also hate the puny little analogue clock that was in the early Fusions

My car has that. Because of the wonderful design choice of "chrome" hands and tick marks, I can't read the time between x:30 nad x:45 because of the glare.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

ZV

I also love the intentionally dishonest way he presents it. Quick, what does the digital display right below the clock say? :rolleyes: