An open letter to the owners of Teriyaki Stix

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
To the owners of Teriyaki Stix:

Some advice: Kaluha Pork is a traditional Hawaiian dish, appetizing because the meat is slow-roasted for hours until it can be cut with a fork. It should not contain hard pieces of what might be the wang of the pig cooked to the same consistency as fried squid. It should also be absent of the "Teriyaki" sauce you make which has no flavor save for the burning feeling in my mouth.

Similarly, Yakisoba should not contain said sauce, and should be stir-fried, not microwaved. In fact even if the "Teriyaki" sauce you use was not so godawful it should not appear on two dishes whos origins are in completely separate parts of the world. And in general vegetables are supposed to be green, not brown.

Once I ate "Testosteronis": raw Egg Noodles marinaded in a mixture of Tobasco, Crushed Red Pepper and Captain Pete's Insanity Hot Sauce. One bite of your food gave me more acid indigestion than a cup of those. No customer should be expected to bring a container of antacids or a full bottle of Pepto in order to be able to consume your food.

Please, please, for the love of God shut down. You don't know how to make food, you don't even know how to make dog food. Your conception of Teriyaki Sauce seems to consist of a mixture of Mollases and Cayenne Pepper, and is only appetizing to starving Ethiopians and potheads. The best part about eating your food was throwing it up 15 minutes later.

EDIT: No, I didn't go there twice of my own accord. Read my post below.

Rkonster

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2000
The restaurant is called Teriyaki Stix...that should have warned you to stay away...

booger711

Platinum Member
Jun 15, 2004
judging by the way you OVERANALYZE their terrible food, you must have gone there more than once. if they serve bad food (which anyone can realize from visit #1) DON'T GO THERE.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
i never understood why some people will go to a place they have had a bad food experience in more than once...

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: booger711
judging by the way you OVERANALYZE their terrible food, you must have gone there more than once. if they serve bad food (which anyone can realize from visit #1) DON'T GO THERE.
Not quite, but close.

I went there once, ordered the Yakisoba. I should have been wary by both the name and the fact that it was a combo store with Hogi Yogi, but I was 4 days into an 8-day camping trip and my standards were low. Not low enough to handle that crap. I was glad we had the cookstove packed, 'cause otherwise I would have gone hungry.

The second time wasn't me, it was my parents. (This was a family camping trip) I'd told them, both of them, how incredibly awful the food was but I guess they didn't believe me. Or maybe Dad did; he got a BLT from Hogi Yogi, but somehow they managed to screw that up. (How the hell do you screw up a BLT?) Mom ordered the Kaluha Pork, despite my warning, and found it to be godawful. I tasted a bite just to get a conception of it. Not as incredibly bad as the Yakisoba, but still damn horrible. We left and went to the Round Table across the street for their lunch buffet.

(By the way, yes, we were actually camping, not going to a KOA or some crap but actually out in the middle of nowhere, usually not even in a Forest Service campground or anything maintained. Gotta love Nevada and its 88% Government Land Ownership; a lot of BLM land out there that you can camp in)

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
have you told the owners about this..or pointed them to this thread...

i mean someone must like their food otherwise how are they still in business....

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: yukichigai

Some advice: Kaluha Pork is a traditional Hawaiian dish, appetizing because the meat is slow-roasted for hours until it can be cut with a fork. It should not contain hard pieces of what might be the wang of the pig cooked to the same consistency as fried squid. It should also be absent of the "Teriyaki" sauce you make which has no flavor save for the burning feeling in my mouth.

Similarly, Yakisoba should not contain said sauce, and should be stir-fried, not microwaved. In fact even if the "Teriyaki" sauce you use was not so godawful it should not appear on two dishes whos origins are in completely separate parts of the world. And in general vegetables are supposed to be green, not brown.

Once I ate "Testosteronis": raw Egg Noodles marinaded in a mixture of Tobasco, Crushed Red Pepper and Captain Pete's Insanity Hot Sauce. One bite of your food gave me more acid indigestion than a cup of those. No customer should be expected to bring a container of antacids or a full bottle of Pepto in order to be able to consume your food.

Please, please, for the love of God shut down. You don't know how to make food, you don't even know how to make dog food. Your conception of Teriyaki Sauce seems to consist of a mixture of Mollases and Cayenne Pepper, and is only appetizing to starving Ethiopians and potheads. The best part about eating your food was throwing it up 15 minutes later.

9/10

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
have you told the owners about this..or pointed them to this thread...

i mean someone must like their food otherwise how are they still in business....
They operate in a small town with what could be termed a captive audience. Most of them are Hispanic ranchers who probably can drink Tobasco straight and not care.

I was going to go up and inform the person behind the counter of my thoughts on the food, and ask for a refund, but my parents didn't want to "make a scene". It was their vacation really, not mine, so I let it go. But I'll definitely be letting the company know my thoughts.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: yukichigai

I almost blew soda out my nose when I read that. Funny. :beer::D

Ogg

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2003
How was the camping.............we havent been able to get away in months :(

And I miss greatly the BLM land of New Mexico and Utah:thumbsup:

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Ogg
How was the camping.............we havent been able to get away in months :(

And I miss greatly the BLM land of New Mexico and Utah:thumbsup:
Camping was great, except for the part 2 days in where I felt like I wanted to shave my head. (Bleah, oily) I brought my kitten, who until then had not explored the wonders of the outdoors. He had fun and was great to have around, though he would have been happier if we'd let him out of the harness and off the leash. ;)

The only truly bad experience we had -- aside from the food at Teriyaki Stix -- was making the mistake of camping at Angel Creek south of Wells and not getting up before the temperature hit 95+.