An interesting "philanthropy" idea

Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000
So there are some jerks on the road, and we know it -- they tailgate, they move faster than traffic, they zig zag in and out of lanes, etc.

These people DESERVE to be ticketed and fined.

But I believe the majority of motorists who are pursued by police are just average people who truly do not intend to do any harm to anyone.

Someone going 70 in a 65 when all the other cars are doing 70 in a 65 is hardly a danger to society, and hardly a bad person. He is technically breaking the law, but his actions hardly compare to the tailgating hot-head.

Similarly, someone who parks outside a building for 60 seconds to drop something off and gets a ticket is breaking the law, but is hardly a bad person.

In short, we all do these things.

To that end, wouldn't it be cool to set up a "traffic charity court" where you bring your case in front of some mock judges who work for the charity. They judge your "case" from a perspective of reasonableness and personal character (the assumption would be that you did break the law) and if you seem like a good guy who got pursued by the police for a really trivial, petty reason, the charity will fund your court fight.

Even if the charity loses most of its cases, if enough of them were brought (i.e. the charity had a large enough bankroll), it would clog up the court system and tie up police officers testifying all the time.

This would then in turn make the police think twice about pulling over a regular dude going a bit over the speed limit, or a guy who's parked wrong for a few seconds to drop something off, or someone who's meter just expired a minute ago...

... and force them to concentrate on the drunk teenagers, the angry tailgaters, and other people who are truly dangerous on the road.

What do you think?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Alphathree33
Originally posted by: pontifex
I can see some problems with this

So this is how people become lifers... they post meaningless one-liners without any punctuation.

:confused:
because every single one of my posts is like this right?

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
I fail to see how this would make any money for the charities. Keep in mind that when you fight a traffic charge and lose, you end up paying court costs, thereby making a loss even more expensive.

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001

So this is how people become lifers... they post meaningless one-liners without any punctuation.

I think starving kids/people, sick, homeless is a more worth while cause then helping someone who was breaking the law (just a little bit).

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
People who speed and or commit other driving offences certainly don't need a charity ... they need to rethink their priorities. That isn't to say I never speed, but hey, if/when I get a ticket, I don't bitch and moan.

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005

You honestly expect us to believe that at 30ppd the majority of your posts aren't like that :p.

That said I agree with pontifex, there are quite a few problems with this the first being who funds all this "free legal support"?

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
So there are some jerks on the road, and we know it -- they tailgate, they move faster than traffic, they zig zag in and out of lanes, etc.

These people DESERVE to be ticketed and fined.

But I believe the majority of motorists who are pursued by police are just average people who truly do not intend to do any harm to anyone.

Someone going 70 in a 65 when all the other cars are doing 70 in a 65 is hardly a danger to society, and hardly a bad person. He is technically breaking the law, but his actions hardly compare to the tailgating hot-head.

Similarly, someone who parks outside a building for 60 seconds to drop something off and gets a ticket is breaking the law, but is hardly a bad person.

In short, we all do these things.

To that end, wouldn't it be cool to set up a "traffic charity court" where you bring your case in front of some mock judges who work for the charity. They judge your "case" from a perspective of reasonableness and personal character (the assumption would be that you did break the law) and if you seem like a good guy who got pursued by the police for a really trivial, petty reason, the charity will fund your court fight.

Even if the charity loses most of its cases, if enough of them were brought (i.e. the charity had a large enough bankroll), it would clog up the court system and tie up police officers testifying all the time.

This would then in turn make the police think twice about pulling over a regular dude going a bit over the speed limit, or a guy who's parked wrong for a few seconds to drop something off, or someone who's meter just expired a minute ago...

... and force them to concentrate on the drunk teenagers, the angry tailgaters, and other people who are truly dangerous on the road.

What do you think?

So this is how people become lifers... they post meaningless nineteen-liners without any sign of intelligent thought.

Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Zolty

You honestly expect us to believe that at 30ppd the majority of your posts aren't like that :p.

That said I agree with pontifex, there are quite a few problems with this the first being who funds all this "free legal support"?

I thought that was clear. Look up philanthropy in the dictionary.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004

yes.

JDMnAR1

Lifer
May 12, 2003

What do you think?

How are they supposed to know which category a driver falls into until they pull them over/ticket them? Do the really bad guys have some distinguising characteristics from the first time offender who happens to be running a little bit late to his job interview? Is there some kind of special parking permit for short term illegal parkers? It seems like selective enforcement is already frowned upon - most people call it profiling.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
... if you seem like a good guy who got pursued by the police for a really trivial, petty reason...

Quite honestly, I've never seen people pursued by the police for really trivial, petty reasons. Of course, there are anecdotal stories on these forums, but I tend to believe that those stories are the exceptions, rather than the rule. As far as going 70 in a 65, I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket, except "a ticket for speed not reasonable for conditions" when someone was in an accident during inclement weather. I live in a relatively boring area of the country where state troopers do, in fact, spend time investigating crimes that most people on these forums claim their local police wouldn't have the time of day to deal with. And, our local papers list all the offenses dealt with in traffic court, including fines. (edit: and the list seems to be pretty void of petty offenses, unless passing a stop sign is petty.)

However, "trivial" is a matter of debate. What's trivial to you may only seem trivial, but there may be some more compelling reason that you don't understand. (i.e. driving with a cell phone - trivial to some, others understand the research. Even more recognize the problem, having had idiots on cell phones nearly hit them, weaving in their lane, unable to maintain a constant speed, etc.)

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: TheKub

I think starving kids/people, sick, homeless is a more worth while cause then helping someone who was breaking the law (just a little bit).

prop up people who are drags to society?

i still say forced birth control for welfare recipients. eliminate the next generation of poor.

oh noes, i sound like a republican?!