An interesting article about BOINC from David P. Anderson

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
There is a table of contents at the top:
On 26 Jan 2022 David P. Anderson said:
The leading paragraph of the "Analysis" section:
On 26 Jan 2022 David P. Anderson said:
I thought that volunteer computing would emerge as an important paradigm for scientific computing, and that it would last forever. But somehow - in spite of the efforts of me and lots of others - it doesn't look like this will happen.

The reasons for this are numerous and complex. I don't claim to understand them, but here are some theories.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandorski

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Thanks for pointing this out, I think. I read it, a really deep dive, and I'll admit to skimming here and there. The essay speaks a lot to the weaknesses of the human race and our inability to work together on a large scale for more than a split second, and our inability to work for the common good. I'll let it go at that. I'm bumming myself out.

mmonnin03

Nov 7, 2006
United Devices, theres something I haven't heard of in some time. Thats the DC app that I 1st started on before switching to FAH when I found out UD was for profit. The essay gives quite a bit of history and names/contributions, more than what I've heard of before all in one place.

The essay really shows DA's ego with the repeated mentions of papers, lack of tenure and his desires to make volunteer computing a mainstay in the CS world instead of making BOINC what it really is; a platform. Infrastructure is literally in the acronym. In the Me section he even mentions how he's not the best leader (not everyone is, I sure am not) but then would not hand it over to another paid person or the PMC.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I did not read the paper, but from comments here, I don't feel that way. Look at what happened to F@H when covid hot ? volunteers came out of the woodwork. People only need a reason, a GOOD reason to devote their time.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I'm having a hard time reading the paper because although the author's claim is that he does not take any of it personally, it doesn't come through that way. Some of it seems to have a kind of bitter rant energy bleeding through the bland language. Maybe it's just me.

mmonnin03

Nov 7, 2006
I'm having a hard time reading the paper because although the author's claim is that he does not take any of it personally, it doesn't come through that way. Some of it seems to have a kind of bitter rant energy bleeding through the bland language. Maybe it's just me.
Not just you. Thats DA. Tenure has nothing to do with BOINC and is only personal to him but was mentioned 4 times.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I'm grateful to Mr. Anderson for his role in bringing BOINC into being, but I cannot help but wonder if the negative energy I perceive from him might be part of the problem at this point. Not that I know nearly enough to make such an assertion, just wondering.

Reactions: Fardringle