An excellent inteview of Bill Moyers

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
This is just an excellent commentary by Bill Moyers in general that I think even most here will find very watchable and with much to agree with.

As a side note, his comments on the corruption of the Democrats are right; I've long said that there is a battle between corporatist Democrats and progressives.

A battle I can't say the progressives, in the minority and hard to find anywhere in the Obama White House, are winning.

Moyers has a lot of good things to say about the moral element of our political system and in particular its application to uniersal healthcare.

Unfortunately, I think he identifies just what I was concerned might happen with Obama, as his compromising makes him ineffective.

Moyers is a remarkable non-politician leader, who had the trust of Kennedy to help start the Peace Corps and of Johnson to do about anything.

This is a rare bit of what political media should be like, politics outside the corporate media, insofar as HBO airs these independant commentators.

Links are in the Gleen Greenwald column here.

Mr. Lennon

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Yeah I watched the show last night. Definitely an excellent interview. I know a lot of people dislike Bill Maher, but you can't deny the excellence of his show. It is the only show that I actually sit down and watch TV for every Friday night.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Bill has some great guest. Too too bad so few see him because its on HBO. One of the networks should offer and pick up his show. All he'd need to change is the colorful language. If they can have Bill O'Reilly's and the like, why not Bill?
ABC was a pussy to let him go. That is when they all were afraid to challenge GW Bush.
Have things ever changed since then (finally).

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Zeppelin2282
Yeah I watched the show last night. Definitely an excellent interview. I know a lot of people dislike Bill Maher, but you can't deny the excellence of his show. It is the only show that I actually sit down and watch TV for every Friday night.

We can't deny the excellence of his show??!! Isn't he the same jackass that spouted off about our soldiers needing to learn how to "rape themselves?" Bill Maher can DIAF as far as I am concerned....:thumbsdown:

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Jmman

We can't deny the excellence of his show??!! Isn't he the same jackass that spouted off about our soldiers needing to learn how to "rape themselves?" Bill Maher can DIAF as far as I am concerned....:thumbsdown:

Context is important for those with intelligence.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: shadow9d9
Originally posted by: Jmman

Context is important for those with intelligence.

...but not for those without it.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
I'd say Moyers did a pretty good job describing the frustration progressives are having with the Democratic party right now. He's right, they're just another version of the Republican party, governed by a slightly different but overlapping set of monied interests. I think that what Moyers misses is that the Democratic party is merely a reflection of our populace. The Democratic party can't get elected talking about gay rights, true UHC, Global Warming and the erosion of the middle class. Like it or not, it's not what Americans want.

Yeah, Obama gets elected, but how does he do it? By saying "I won't take your guns! I won't raise your taxes! I'm not for gay marriage!" If you really expected change you were deluding yourself or you weren't listening. Yeah, I voted for him, and I worked on his campaign, but only because I thought his administration would be slightly less hawkish than a McCain Palin administration.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: sportage
Bill has some great guest. Too too bad so few see him because its on HBO. One of the networks should offer and pick up his show. All he'd need to change is the colorful language. If they can have Bill O'Reilly's and the like, why not Bill?
ABC was a pussy to let him go. That is when they all were afraid to challenge GW Bush.

bahahah:)
his show has become rather pathetic panel of yes men. everyone agrees, pushes the same liberal line. occasionally they have an "allen colmes" conservative come on, but its rare. much of the time its a bunch of parroting the party line. its about as pathetic a debate as it gets, cheap talking points and cheap shots are all you hear.
theres no insight to be had on that show.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

his show has become rather pathetic panel of yes men. everyone agrees, pushes the same liberal line. occasionally they have an "allen colmes" conservative come on, but its rare. much of the time its a bunch of parroting the party line. its about as pathetic a debate as it gets, cheap talking points and cheap shots are all you hear.

You've never watched it, have you? You're repeating some bullshit you heard on the radio, aren't you?

totalnoob

Golden Member
Jul 17, 2009
Originally posted by: JKing106

You've never watched it, have you? You're repeating some bullshit you heard on the radio, aren't you?

I watch it..and the description is accurate. Every panel every week is 80% left wing.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: totalnoob

I watch it..and the description is accurate. Every panel every week is 80% left wing.

The panel consists of 3 people, but you knew that right? :roll:

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
Originally posted by: umbrella39

maybe he thinks if the right-winger on the panel is left-handed, that counts as 14%?

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Originally posted by: umbrella39

Math is a liberal arts

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
episode 163

Rep. Jack Kingston (R-GA); Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA); Dr. David Scheiner, President Obama's former doctor

Looks 2/3s right to me, if you consider the doctor a non-partisan, it would actually be 83% right. Huh

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003

you really should watch the show a little more before commenting.

While it's true that most guests are die hard lefties, I can't think of a single show where Maher did not admonish his lefty audience and/or guests for towing the party line just for towing's sake...My favorite is when the audience laughs (like clockwork) at a guest's unfunny lefty joke and Maher looks at the audience like they're dumber than Palin for being such kneejerk moonbats.

the whining by Maher about the pussification of the dems has been going on for a while now. Remember the diatribe a little while ago when Maher said Obama should be more like bush and the audience gasped as if Maher had just raped a baby? Maher referenced the idea again in the Moyers interview. I agree that the problem is democrats are so wishy washy. There are just so many different versions of how a left wing utopia should work. I'm curious how the left will be able to resolve that basic disagreement and move their agenda forward.

n yusef

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2005
Bill Maher's panels do skew left. That's only a problem if you think that both sides are equally legitimate. But the reason that "Real Time" is the best news show on TV is that ridiculous ideas are not given the pretense of legitimacy because of some idea of partisan balance. Right now, much of the right (a category that many Democrats fit into) is homophobic, believes in death panels and supports torture. They are wrong on these issues; debating them is silly. If Maher had these guests on his show, it would be no better than the crap on MSNBC, CNN, and FOX.

Maher does get a few intelligent conservative guests, often libertarians, who share little with the GOP besides economics. They're fine, because you can debate them. You cannot debate the Sarah Palin crowd; Maher's worst segments are when he get's an idiot (he had Joe the Plummer on once) and tries to have a discussion with them.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Did a single person click the links and watch the interview from the OP? (One person saw it on tv and posted the only four words on the thread topic, the Moyers interview, yet posted).

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Great interview. The comparison of the Kennedy/Johnson administrations' handling of Vietnam to the challenges facing the Obama admin was spot on.

Moyer is a progressive and he is definitely frustrated with how the Obama administration seems to be fading away from the progressives. I don't think Obama will ever "grow a spine" and "go down fighting"; Money rules all.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Craig234
Did a single person click the links and watch the interview from the OP? (One person saw it on tv and posted the only four words on the thread topic, the Moyers interview, yet posted).

I watched it. And it's nice to see a Democrat call Obama out for being a corporate whore and a warmonger.

Ironically, the Left is doing a better job of criticizing Obama than the Right.

One of the things with which I disagreed was Moyers saying it's the powerless Republicans getting their way, especially when he hit the nail on the head before, it's the corporations that are getting their way. What he and too many others fail to see is that corruption will always prevent government from keeping big business in check, and thus the market will always do a better job, as long as it is allowed to work.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: Craig234

I watched it. And it's nice to see a Democrat call Obama out for being a corporate whore and a warmonger.

Ironically, the Left is doing a better job of criticizing Obama than the Right.

One of the things with which I disagreed was Moyers saying it's the powerless Republicans getting their way, especially when he hit the nail on the head before, it's the corporations that are getting their way. What he and too many others fail to see is that corruption will always prevent government from keeping big business in check, and thus the market will always do a better job, as long as it is allowed to work.

of course the left is doing a better job of criticizing obama, because it's about obama being too much like republicans.

mAdMaLuDaWg

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2003
Bill Moyers...I only know him as the guy who was responsible for running a very dirty campaign against Barry Goldwater.