An ethical (kinda) question about looking for jobs

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
How do you look for a new job while still at your old one? Do you specify your current job on the application? What about references? What if the interviewing company decides to contact somebody at your current job? Has anyone been through this before? Any advice would be appreciated.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Argo
How do you look for a new job while still at your old one? Do you specify your current job on the application? What about references? What if the interviewing company decides to contact somebody at your current job? Has anyone been through this before? Any advice would be appreciated.

Most employers ask if they can contact your current employer on the app. You can select YES or NO.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
be straight up and for references put "available upon request". I believe that legally they may hav eto ask you first before contacting old employer.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
First of all, there's nothing immoral about shopping around for a new job while you are working. That's the way industry works nowadays, and it's almost expected; nobody stays at one place for 25 years anymore. Plus, it's your life, do what you want.

Hopefully you'll have a boss who wants the best thing for you. My last boss was like that; when our team leader decided to quit and go back to school, my boss gave him his full support, and actually encouraged him to leave because he was too smart for his job! He knew the guy could do better elsewhere. But I guess bosses who have that kind of concern for their employees as individuals are pretty rare. Maybe I should go back to working for that guy...hmmm...

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Well, my concern is if my current job finds out and I end up staying (which is very possible) that could affect my future chance for promotion.