"An educated person knows the bible"

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
there's a billboard in town that says "an educated person knows the bible" sponsored by some national bible literacy group thing: http://www.bibleliteracy.org/Site/index.htm

i apparently am not educated all that well. there is a billboard across the street though... we should raise money and come up with a response and make our own billboard. i'd put up "an educated person knows quantum physics" - paid for by AT national quarks literacy group

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
too bad there isn't a wrestler named "the bible".

just pull a billboard next to it and write "...but believes in evolution"

Oct 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
They're just trying to dispell a stereotype.

:confused: What stereotype is that?

Religious people are unscientific loons stuck in the Dark Ages that place more faith in 'the Word of God' than a science textbook.

That stereotype.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: JohnCU
there's a billboard in town that says "an educated person knows the bible" sponsored by some national bible literacy group thing: http://www.bibleliteracy.org/Site/index.htm

i apparently am not educated all that well. there is a billboard across the street though... we should raise money and come up with a response and make our own billboard. i'd put up "an educated person knows quantum physics" - paid for by AT national quarks literacy group

It's a fairly important reference document through world history, so I'd say it's probably a fairly well themed statement along with a list of other similar references.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Good thing I read that bible in Catholic school then!

< not Catholic, nor Christian by any other denomination

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Dunno about that, but a Jeopardy contestant sure as heckfire better know the bible. Lots of questions about it on that show.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
They're just trying to dispell a stereotype.

:confused: What stereotype is that?

Religious people are unscientific loons stuck in the Dark Ages that place more faith in 'the Word of God' than a science textbook.

That stereotype.

Good thing only 85% or so of the world still follows one form of religion or another. I guess they should thank the other 15% for having these things called cars and computers.

tfcmasta97

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2004
"An educated person knows the bible" is full of shit.

One vandal can save a city. It may be your time to step up.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: hypn0tik
An educated person should know a little bit about every major religion.

An amazingly simple concept the ignorant will be able to gloss over.

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
They're right, although probably not for the reasons that they think.

Part of getting an education is being exposed to a wide array of knowledge and teachings. There's a phrase for people that refuse to learn about a given topic: closed minded. The fact that it is a religious text is no reason not to be familiar with it or avoid it altogether. That is especially true if you are then going to go and start a conversation about it on the internet. ;)

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: lupi
Originally posted by: JohnCU

It's a fairly important reference document through world history, so I'd say it's probably a fairly well themed statement along with a list of other similar references.

Christianity is an important thing to reference through more modern history.
The Bible is not a particularly good historical document for the most part, and certainly not in isolation (obviously).

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Well I diffinitely think an educated person should know many of the major stories of the bible. Whether or not you are religios in the USA the VAST majority of people are Christian, and the bible is something that comes up pretty often in life. The bible is part of the common background of readings I would expect a person in this country to have, along with other books like "Catcher in the Rye", or "Hamlet", etc... I mean that one book is the basis for so much of out culture that it is silly to think that you have no reason to read it. I think most people believe that its important to have read the "Constitution" or "Declaration of Independance", but niether of those documents has had anywhere near the impact on this country or the world as the Bible ever did. It is one of the most influential works of litterature in all of history, and even if you are an Atheist at least read it for the fact that your life has been shapped more by that one book than probably any other work of fiction in this world (assuming you live in a Christian country).

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Bah, they're just trying to get you to join their church.

Knowing the bible would probably have made analysis in AP English Lit easier. Also useful for references in speeches and such.

^to what BrownTown said - yeah, it's pretty much everywhere in the western world.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Lonyo

Christianity is an important thing to reference through more modern history.
The Bible is not a particularly good historical document for the most part, and certainly not in isolation (obviously).

But it does contain some parts that would be good for every person to know, and there are portions that are critical for understanding history as you said.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
I would say if your not really into the Bible and all most of the good stuff is in the Gospel's, Christians these days tend to ignore most everything else in the bible TBH.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: m0mentary
too bad there isn't a wrestler named "the bible".

just pull a billboard next to it and write "...but believes in evolution"

mutation is believeable, but evolution.. man from apes, is laughable. where's all of the transitionary fossils and such? none..