An article I read said: Romney losing in the polls - not winning a single state

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
And the Republicans decided that him, Buddy Roemer and Gary Johnson were not "conservative" enough for them.
Their loss.
But when you put Romney up against Cain, Bachmann, Perry, Gingrich and Santorum it becomes pretty obvious who would end up winning.

Why is the republican party pushing people that seem to be out of touch with everyday people?

Cain, Bachmann, Perry, Gingrich?? Really?

I dont even vote for perry.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
How did romney ever win the republican ticket?

He won the primary, then people complain that he can not beat obama?

Is the republican party stupid?
Are you looking for a serious answer to that question? :p

The problem (as I see it) with the Republican party is that it's somewhat split. In order to get the Republican nomination, a candidate needs to appeal to a significant number of the more right-wing, particularly religious right in the party. You could see this early on in the process when virtually every Republican running was claiming that they received some sign from God, or made some other statement indicating that they were certain God wanted them to run. Unfortunately, that side of the party tends to pull candidates a little too far to the right to be more broadly desired by Democrats.

They're forced to take a hard line on one side on too many issues that the popular vote in the country is close to 50/50 on, or even in favor of... gay marriage, mj legalization, etc. If they could give up just a few of those, they might appeal more broadly. But doing so would make them less attractive to the extreme right wing in their own party, which they seem to need to get the nomination.

Now, I'm speaking more broadly - not just about Romney. But, that's why the vast majority (if not all) of the Republican candidates seemed very undesirable by a significant chunk of the population. E.g., I know people who are still upset that Santorum is out - they're the type of people who don't want separation of church and gov't at all (provided it's THEIR church.) On the other hand, that's exactly why Santorum didn't have a snowball's chance.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Are you looking for a serious answer to that question? :p

<snip>

On the other hand, that's exactly why Santorum didn't have a snowball's chance.

Yes, I would like a serious answer to that question.

While you bring up valid points, a lot of the christian right see Mormons as "way" out there. With examples like Warren Jeffs, the Mormons have not been in a very good light lately.

If the christian right played a major factor, then why wasn't someone from a main stream christian denomination nominated, such as a Baptist?

Its as if the republican party wants to continue on with business as usual instead of looking for real change.

How many times will Cain and Gingrich run before they realize they are not wanted? And Perry? His own state does not want him, much less the nation.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The point is that Romney is the GOP nominee and it way too late to change that.

I very much doubt any poll that says Romney will not win a single solid Red State in 11/2012. As I predict, Romney will win the electorial vote in the bulk of those solid Red States.

The problem for Romney is, Obama is likely to win all the electoral votes in solid blue States, and also win too many swing States Romney needs to have chance to win the electorial vote or popular vote majority in 2012.

As I also note, after the Romney campaign laid an egg regarding the 47% comment, the Romney campaign has launched a counter attack barrage of political ads seeking to portray Mitt as a tireless defender of the 47% family that lacks wealth.

Which is going to go over like a lead Balloon for the incredible plastic man Romney campaign, simply because Romney has no past credentials to match a new image with Romney past substance.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
The point is that Romney is the GOP nominee and it way too late to change that.

Sadly yes, it is too late to change.

Romney has nothing to help swing a blue state. His riches, and overseas investments alienates him from working class people.

I mainly vote Libertarian, when I vote for a major party, I vote republican. There is nothing about romney that appeals to me, absolutely nothing.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
I just reported the OP for a misleading title with no source. Lets see what the mods think.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I'm going out on a limb and guessing that the 7-eleven poll is probably pretty accurate.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
How did romney ever win the republican ticket?

He won the primary, then people complain that he can not beat obama?

Is the republican party stupid?
Yes, yes it is.

Romney will win some states, just not enough of them.

Good job, Republicans. Congrats on throwing away an election by nominating that total douche bag. You have yourselves to blame.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Yes, I would like a serious answer to that question.

While you bring up valid points, a lot of the christian right see Mormons as "way" out there. With examples like Warren Jeffs, the Mormons have not been in a very good light lately.

If the christian right played a major factor, then why wasn't someone from a main stream christian denomination nominated, such as a Baptist?

Its as if the republican party wants to continue on with business as usual instead of looking for real change.

How many times will Cain and Gingrich run before they realize they are not wanted? And Perry? His own state does not want him, much less the nation.

Short answer: it's because the further right and more religious primary candidates split the hard right/religious vote and Romney got all the rest. This isn't "the republican party" we're talking about. It was a collection of republican voters.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Samuel L. Jackson says that's not enough

http://link.brightcove.com/services...VFdaJIzYKy89VGoV1YDwX27HO&bctid=1863398043001

"Paid for by the Jewish Council for Education and Research."

That is a truely great politcal commercial. They should run the cleaned up version on TV.

BTW, it seems like a lot of people here have forgotten that year long, godless number of debates reality show that was the GOP primaries. Admittedly, except for Romney and Huntsman the field were universally midgets, but blame that on the stock available to the GOP not the process. That was the widest open primary for either party in many a year and buyer's remorse will not change that fact.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Anywho... Polling has been very accurate in the past several elections.
They seem to have gotten that figured out, pretty much.
And people are finally paying attention, so it's natural polling would reflect a more realistic snap shot in these final weeks.
What hit me is that republicans realize Mitt will fall short. Just as they feared.
Why do we know this?
Republican biased media has already started the blame game.
Even Rush is on board with that.
So this tells me they already know how this is going to end....
I wouldn't be surprised if Mitt has already reserved his tickets and flight to the islands.
When you feel blue, there is no better place to be than with your money. Lovie.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Well one thing for sure, Rush Limbaugh can be counted on to come up with some bogus answer why Romney lost the election, and Limbaughs imaginary whipping boy in Snurdley will be in a heap of trouble. For buying dimocratic bullshit.

But still, assuming Obama wins POTUS big in 2012, dare we hope the GOP learns its lesson. As bad as Romney is proving to be, we can learn more about the GOP Potus also rans. As the biggest Loser may be the over inflating ego of Newt Gingrich. Who resigned from Congress in 1998 in disgrace, and then went on to run a wacky lobbying organization where he made a chump change ten million or so. While Newt, ego never deflated, kept threatening to run for Potus and never did. But finally in 2012, Newt could't resist offering himself up to save the nation, with universal American support dancing in his head. And instead found his ego totally deflated when even his GOP support was near zero. The same might be said about Michelle Backmann, Perry, Cain, and the other total ultra GOP right wing candidates that the GOP ultra right wing had said wre the only acceptable GOP POTUS candidates. As Romney won as the least nutty GOP candidate but was still a ultra right wing nut in his own merits.

But still if Mitt goes down in defeat, if the GOP even retain on branch of congress, its not rocket science to predict, come next groundhogs day, Phil need not even look at any shadows before predicting at least 2 more years of grid lock.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Thread title change is fair to the guy who reported me. Wasn't trolling. Just thought it was interesting. Was a short article and worth discussion in my opinion.

As far as the article there was not a new one today (I think we get American politics once a week) and the lunch room threw out yesterday's papers.

However I'm going to guess it was referring to swing states and it looks like they were simply ahead of the American press due to the time difference.

Swing states are thought to be: Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin right?

Well I see new poll numbers in the American press today showing the lead growing.

10 point lead in Ohio.
9 in Florida.
12 points in Pennsylvania.
7 points in New Hampshire.
2 points in Nevada (within margin of error)
2 points in North Carolina (within margin of error)
10 points in Michigan (not a new poll)
6-14 points in Wisconsin (not a new poll)

Anyways you get the point.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Anywho... Polling has been very accurate in the past several elections.
They seem to have gotten that figured out, pretty much.
And people are finally paying attention, so it's natural polling would reflect a more realistic snap shot in these final weeks.
What hit me is that republicans realize Mitt will fall short. Just as they feared.
Why do we know this?
Republican biased media has already started the blame game.
Even Rush is on board with that.
So this tells me they already know how this is going to end....
I wouldn't be surprised if Mitt has already reserved his tickets and flight to the islands.
When you feel blue, there is no better place to be than with your money. Lovie.

Rush has sent out his warnings! The election is being stolen by ALL of the poles! :rolleyes: