An article I read said: Romney losing in the polls - not winning a single state

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
So at lunch today I was reading the local newspaper - the one we get on the metro - and noticed a very short article about the upcoming election.

They stated that in recent polls Romney was down by an average of 3 points and was not winning a single state.

I can't find it in their print edition online and the article didn't mention which poll or polls.

An interesting foot note from overseas for you guys.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
So at lunch today I was reading the local newspaper - the one we get on the metro - and noticed a very short article about the upcoming election.

They stated that in recent polls Romney was down by an average of 3 points and was not winning a single state.

I can't find it in their print edition online and the article didn't mention which poll or polls.

An interesting foot note from overseas for you guys.

There are certainly states no democrat ever has a chance of winning - he has to be ahead in states like Texas, along with most of the deep south.

Now...I would find it plausible that he isn't winning in any swing states.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
There are certainly states no democrat ever has a chance of winning - he has to be ahead in states like Texas, along with most of the deep south.

Now...I would find it plausible that he isn't winning in any swing states.

Indeed. Romney had a particularly bad few days of polling.....polls saying he was down (by more than a couple points) in virginia, ohio, and florida and even having obama up in NC.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Well he's not doing so good at 7-11.

Gallup shows Obama up 6% nationally.

Can't find a swing state tracking poll.

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/
It began with a series of polls from The New York Times, CBS News and Quinnipiac University, released early Wednesday morning, which gave President Obama leads of between 9 and 11 points in Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Later in the day, Mr. Romney got polls showing unfavorable numbers for him in Colorado and Iowa.
Unlike many recent days, when Mr. Obama’s national polls were slightly less euphoric than his swing state surveys, Wednesday’s national polls seemed to support the notion that Mr. Obama has a clear lead in the race. The Gallup national tracking poll gave Mr. Obama a six-point lead among registered voters, close to his high mark on the year in that survey. The online tracking poll conducted by Ipsos gave him a six-point lead among likely voters. Another online tracking poll, from the RAND Corporation, put Mr. Obama’s lead at roughly seven and a half percentage points, his largest of the year in that poll. And a national poll for Bloomberg produced by the pollster J. Ann Selzer, who has a strong track record, put Mr. Obama six points ahead.
The exception was the Rasmussen Reports tracking poll, which gave Mitt Romney a two-point lead among likely voters. (This was in the version of the poll that included voters who leaned toward a candidate, which is the one that FiveThirtyEight uses for all surveys.)
What to think of the Rasmussen poll? Their surveys usually have a Republican lean, but it seems to have gotten stronger in the last few weeks. It has also been stronger in some years than others. Rasmussen got reasonably good results in years like 2006 and 2008 when their polls were close to the consensus. However, their polls were the least accurate of the major polling firms in 2010, when they had an especially strong Republican house-effect. The same was true in 2000, when they had a three- or four-point statistical bias toward Republican candidates.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
How did romney ever win the republican ticket?

He won the primary, then people complain that he can not beat obama?

Is the republican party stupid?

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
picture.php

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001

When you know who most of his competition in the primaries were, it was easy to see why he would win them.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
There were other options in the primary, such as Huntsman

And the Republicans decided that him, Buddy Roemer and Gary Johnson were not "conservative" enough for them.
Their loss.
But when you put Romney up against Cain, Bachmann, Perry, Gingrich and Santorum it becomes pretty obvious who would end up winning.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

He didn't "win", it was his for bowing out last election. You don't really think that the parade of loony fringe idiots that was up against him were actual candidates?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
OP: Perhaps you misheard the story and they were only talking about battleground states? Last I knew Romney was only leading in one battleground state, New Hampshire, and even that was pretty close (and pretty insignificant at six electoral votes). It's quite possible New Hampshire has tipped over into the Obama camp by now.

But Romney not leading in any states at all? Nah, not while the South remains what it is.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
He didn't "win", it was his for bowing out last election. You don't really think that the parade of loony fringe idiots that was up against him were actual candidates?
Why not? Lots of politicians are stupid. One of the democrat politicians in Detroit thought it was a good idea to build light rail transit to downtown because that would somehow boost the economy. Romney's opponents are that stupid but on the other side.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Why not? Lots of politicians are stupid. One of the democrat politicians in Detroit thought it was a good idea to build light rail transit to downtown because that would somehow boost the economy. Romney's opponents are that stupid but on the other side.

Yea, there were a few real ones thrown in to mix it up, not completely off their rocker, but they were all window dressing.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
OP: Perhaps you misheard the story and they were only talking about battleground states? Last I knew Romney was only leading in one battleground state, New Hampshire, and even that was pretty close (and pretty insignificant at six electoral votes). It's quite possible New Hampshire has tipped over into the Obama camp by now.

But Romney not leading in any states at all? Nah, not while the South remains what it is.

Must not of clicked on OP link.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Much too sane.

We should rank the following "also rans" on a list of least to most insane.

Rick Perry
Donald Trump
Michelle Bachmann
Herman Cain
Ron Paul
John Huntsman
Rick Santorum

Did I miss anyone? This list is not in order, I think we should come up with one though.