An annoying trend for indie games...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Back in my Quake days I used IJKL because I had more buttons available for my thumb to hit. And I also didn't have the fire button on the mouse. Speed jumping was much easier to do with jump on a mouse button since it was very timing specific to do, especially in Quake World. It got a lot easier in Quake 3.'

But these days I use WASD so I don't have to move my keyboard.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
If anyone out here has any experience in game development, please tell me coding in keybind customization is an incredibly arduous task that leaves you a broken human when you're done because that's about the only way I'd excuse a developer for leaving that feature out of a game these days.
You should look up what game engines the games use and read up on what they offer for input.
My guess would be that the game engine comes with the standard control scheme and if something works then why spend any money or resources on changing it? Indy developers are on a super small budget so even something that simple would eat into their earnings.

It's super simple to code but you would still have to code it, make a menu for it, new graphics blah blah, if the indy dev doesn't care about it for themselves they won't implement it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
You should look up what game engines the games use and read up on what they offer for input.

My guess would be that the game engine comes with the standard control scheme and if something works then why spend any money or resources on changing it? Indy developers are on a super small budget so even something that simple would eat into their earnings.

It's super simple to code but you would still have to code it, make a menu for it, new graphics blah blah, if the indy dev doesn't care about it for themselves they won't implement it.

Unless you're dealing with a heavily specialized game engine such as RPG Maker, I can't imagine that there's any set of default inputs. When you develop a game, you'll typically use a prototype methodology where things are built up gradually. In the beginning, it's likely that you'll use hardcoded definitions to simplify the initial development process. In some cases, you may be trying to find out if your game idea is even worth it in the first place, and spending a while making customizable button mapping just isn't worth it for that sort of endeavor. In the end, you may have made a mistake like not making those hardcoded mappings easy to change (e.g. hardcoding the button in every location vs. a constant definition that is referenced).

Also, you may just not have the time to implement configurable controls. Creating the menu is only part of the problem -- and still a decent portion of it -- as you also need to setup how the information will be stored, how it will be read, and finally, once it's done, you need to test it out to ensure there aren't failures. That might not seem too bad, but you'll need to be able to test not only buttons but button combinations, and even different keyboard layouts (including those from different locales/languages).

The development time aspect is also why some games take the "lazy approach" and put some menus in a launcher that shows up before the game starts. It's simply far easier to add PC-specific options to an easy-to-create windows program than it is to build entirely new menus. Plenty of languages allow for WYSIWYG editing of GUIs and combined with the lack of a need for custom assets, it makes the whole thing much faster. The back-end ends up being the same as it still needs to read and modify the same files as it would if it was integrated.

I don't blame someone for disliking the lack of configurable controls. Honestly, I can't bring myself to play Kingdom Hearts because I keep trying to press 'X' to jump, and I just wish that I could remap the buttons!

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just had to rant a little since I've been trying to clear my backlog and in the past year and a half (since I started specifically knocking games off the backlog), I've come across at least six indie games that have hard-bound controls or simply lack any control customization. ...
The fact that changing keybinds have been in PC gaming since the 90s makes it that much more infuriating when I come across an indie game that looks like it has a ton of potential and I could easily sink 20 hours into, only to find that the developers require us to use WASD or their wonky-ass controller buttons.

If anyone out here has any experience in game development, please tell me coding in keybind customization is an incredibly arduous task that leaves you a broken human when you're done because that's about the only way I'd excuse a developer for leaving that feature out of a game these days.
This is why I love my keyboard since all the keys can be changed however I like it (every key can be remapped and/or made into a macro, and not only that, but they are stored IN the keyboard, so if I take it and plug it into a new system, or upgrade my old system/reformat/rebuild, everything is still there with the keyboard).

Reactions: Pohemi

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
GRFV for me. I rotate my left hand around with middle finger on G (forward) and that leaves my pinky free to scroll through the number row.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I used the Belkin Nostromo N52/N52te/Razer Tartarus. I'd set each and every key where I wanted it, and typically use the thumb placement D-pad for movement and/or strafing. I never needed to move my hand (to reach other keys). Once I'd start a game, I'd only need the regular KB if I was typing text.

Ergo was just far better than a KB, and would prevent my hands cramping after hours of continuous play.