Rant An African American security guard asked a student to not call him the n-word. That request got him fired

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
repurposing this from a repost I made about this:

now just because he said n----- while telling kid not to call him that he gets canned, these 0-tolerance rules have got to go, it removes all accountability and thinking on the part of the school administration.

Last edited:

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If this story is actually as uncomplicated as it is written, then I find this firing horrible.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
That magic zero tolerance strikes again. It should be pointed out that the race of the student was never identified. This very well could have been a black kid saying it.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
That magic zero tolerance strikes again. It should be pointed out that the race of the student was never identified. This very well could have been a black kid saying it.
in a different article stated he was black, can't find it.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
I live in Madison, local word that I've heard is that not even the students at the school are happy about him being fired. I would certainly hope that the school board review reverses the decision.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Zero Intelligence policies have always been the worst. They are designed to limit the school's legal liabilities, not help kids, parents OR staff.

Hell, I remember a girl in my high school getting expelled for having a butter knife in the trunk of her car because Zero Intelligence called it a weapon, and that was over 20 years ago.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
repurposing this from a repost I made about this:

now just because he said n----- while telling kid not to call him that he gets canned, these 0-tolerance rules have got to go, it removes all accountability and thinking on the part of the school administration.
Not quid pro quo!Not quid pro quo!Not quid pro quo!...…………………………….

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Zero Intelligence policies have always been the worst. They are designed to limit the school's legal liabilities, not help kids, parents OR staff.

Hell, I remember a girl in my high school getting expelled for having a butter knife in the trunk of her car because Zero Intelligence called it a weapon, and that was over 20 years ago.

It seemed like after Columbine that’s when schools really started to go insane with it. My opinion is we should have zero tolerance for zero tolerance.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000

The student was black. I wonder if he was suspended/expelled.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
Sounds like he is getting his job back. He is on administrative leave with full pay and benefits while they work on a "transition plan" for his return. They also are saying they will review their policies.

Nov 8, 2012
So wait, is the reason he was fired was for LITERALLY using the n-word? or because he said the term "n-word" ?

I mean, either way it's fucking silly but just trying to understand the argument that the school is saying.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
So wait, is the reason he was fired was for LITERALLY using the n-word? or because he said the term "n-word" ?

I mean, either way it's fucking silly but just trying to understand the argument that the school is saying.

He used the actual n word. The student used it multiple times and the security guard asked the student not to call him that without saying it multiple times. Then the security guard said something to the effect of "I'm not your n-word, please don't call me that" or something similar to that. He was fired due to a zero tolerance policy that didn't take into account context. It sounds like the school board is taking the correct action of giving him his job back and reviewing the policy.

Reactions: Meghan54

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
"I'm not your n-word, please don't call me that"

Damn, sounds like he didn't even use a hard R and got fired. lol