An Ad for Hitman

j@cko

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2000
I was bored surfing last night and bumped into this that I thought was quite disturbing. An ad for Hitman on this blog. If it wasn't for the text on the ad, I would've suspected that the ad was for a movie. Now, do you think this is a part of the reasons that today's youth is so much more violent and outspoken...?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: j@cko
I was bored surfing last night and bumped into this that I thought was quite disturbing. An ad for Hitman on this blog. If it wasn't for the text on the ad, I would've suspect this was a movie ad. Now, do you think this is a part of the reasons that today's youth is so much more violent and outspoke...?

Are they much more violent and outspoken? Or is it that it's reported to police more? Or is it that it's reported in the media more? Or is it that, when a population grows, as a % the offender's stay the same, but the absolute number of offenders increases since there are more of them?

For example, if we had a population of 100 with 1% offenders, then there'd only be 1 offense reported. However, if our population doubles but the % stays the same, then there'd be 2 offenders. The media cases reported would double and be sensationalized, but in reality nothing has changed.

j@cko

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
I was bored surfing last night and bumped into this that I thought was quite disturbing. An ad for Hitman on this blog. If it wasn't for the text on the ad, I would've suspect this was a movie ad. Now, do you think this is a part of the reasons that today's youth is so much more violent and outspoke...?

Are they much more violent and outspoken? Or is it that it's reported to police more? Or is it that it's reported in the media more? Or is it that, when a population grows, as a % the offender's stay the same, but the absolute number of offenders increases since there are more of them?

For example, if we had a population of 100 with 1% offenders, then there'd only be 1 offense reported. However, if our population doubles but the % stays the same, then there'd be 2 offenders. The media cases reported would double and be sensationalized, but in reality nothing has changed.

just like the gay population and certain diseases? (sry... didn't mean to equate gay and disease together)

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

just like the gay population and certain diseases? (sry... didn't mean to equate gay and disease together)

Another example is thyroid cancer. They say the cases of it are increasing dramatically. What are the causes for that? Increased reporting and diagnostic because of added attention? There are multiple instances of thyroid disease and/or cancer in history, yet it was chalked up to "women problems" or some such stupidity that men had, leading to worse diagnosis rates.

When my wife was diagnosed with aggressive thyroid cancer we were told by one of the foremost experts in the area that a high percentage of women and men have growths on their thyroids when they die, yet they don't die because of that.

Of course, most people ignore that and say it's because radiation, or chemicals, or other conspiracies (nuclear tests).

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Hitman looks pretty slick, but I don't like the lead actor. He doesn't look ruthless enough, or bald enough.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Now, do you think this is a part of the reasons that today's youth is so much more violent and outspoke...?

Not even in the slightest. People should be responsible enough to be able to decipher the differences between fiction and reality and apply that knowledge to their daily lives including teenagers and children. This is especially true when the fact that something is fictional is obvious. No one tries to hide the fact that a movie is a movie and that a video game is a video game. You can't get more obvious than that no matter real it may look on the big screen.

Heck, I have a 4 year old who has been exposed to different forms of fictional violence which is quite taboo. Granted, I am not talking about Hitman or GTA here but it's still violence and he is very young. His mother and I simply taught him that what he is seeing is not real and not acceptable in real life. He has responded very well to our teachings. I expect nothing less from him in the future. If my 4 year old can do it then everyone can do it.

Now, would I expect my 4 year old to behave differently if he were exposed to such things without our guidance? I'd say it is possible, but not guaranteed at all. In short, if people want to blame something for violence, blame the child's parents. I know that is cliche, but it makes all difference. Believe me.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I don't get it. Are you disturbed because the ad is about a video game, or just about the ad itself? I ask because it seems that you feel that there's something wrong because the ad is for a video game, yet by what you state, one could infer that you wouldn't have that feeling if it were for a movie. If that's the case, I'd ask, what's the difference?

j@cko

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: jjones
I don't get it. Are you disturbed because the ad is about a video game, or just about the ad itself? I ask because it seems that you feel that there's something wrong because the ad is for a video game, yet by what you state, one could infer that you wouldn't have that feeling if it were for a movie. If that's the case, I'd ask, what's the difference?

I don't know the answer. Maybe partly due to the fact that most of the ads i've seen consisted of rendered cut scenes in it. I've seen game ads like this before, but they weren't so provocative. I made that statement instinctively without any logic to it.

j@cko

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Safeway
Hitman looks pretty slick, but I don't like the lead actor. He doesn't look ruthless enough, or bald enough.

completely agree with ya and this dude was also the villan in Die Hard 4.0

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Yeah, they had a good...10 min preview of the movie during Die Hard 4. With that classical opera music they had in the game, and then explosions and bullets everywhere.

I also agree that the lead actor does not look well for the part. Hit man had a more retangular head than round. He just looks like some crazy kid who snapped in .. n/m.

Jean Reno from "The Professional" looked better as a hitman. To bad he is just a tad too old now.

At least it's not Val Kilmar.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
I honestly don't see anything wrong with that. There's no blood, there's no depictions of gruesome violence.

Remember, video games came out to exploit their market, they didn't predate any perceived "trend" or rise in violent youth and they certainly didn't cause it.

nova2

Feb 3, 2006
spoken like a true red face. :)

Originally posted by: mobobuff
I honestly don't see anything wrong with that. There's no blood, there's no depictions of gruesome violence.

Remember, video games came out to exploit their market, they didn't predate any perceived "trend" or rise in violent youth and they certainly didn't cause it.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Now, do you think this is a part of the reasons that today's youth is so much more violent and outspoke...?

Not even in the slightest. People should be responsible enough to be able to decipher the differences between fiction and reality and apply that knowledge to their daily lives including teenagers and children. This is especially true when the fact that something is fictional is obvious. No one tries to hide the fact that a movie is a movie and that a video game is a video game. You can't get more obvious than that no matter real it may look on the big screen.

Heck, I have a 4 year old who has been exposed to different forms of fictional violence which is quite taboo. Granted, I am not talking about Hitman or GTA here but it's still violence and he is very young. His mother and I simply taught him that what he is seeing is not real and not acceptable in real life. He has responded very well to our teachings. I expect nothing less from him in the future. If my 4 year old can do it then everyone can do it.

Now, would I expect my 4 year old to behave differently if he were exposed to such things without our guidance? I'd say it is possible, but not guaranteed at all. In short, if people want to blame something for violence, blame the child's parents. I know that is cliche, but it makes all difference. Believe me.

Parenting definitely plays a large part (quite possibly the largest part), yes. However, even after the explanation, it's quite possible that your son didn't fully grasp the difference between fiction and reality. At four years old, the capacity for that type of thought just isn't completely developed.

j@cko

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Whisper
Originally posted by: Xavier434

Parenting definitely plays a large part (quite possibly the largest part), yes. However, even after the explanation, it's quite possible that your son didn't fully grasp the difference between fiction and reality. At four years old, the capacity for that type of thought just isn't completely developed.

as long as he is not constantly exposed to violent content, it's safe to say... his son is not turning into a maniac any time soon