Amy Winehouse dead

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Alcohol withdrawal is easily researched...most think it's all in the drinkers head.

DTs are common going cold turkey if you were a true alcoholic.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Wow. Obviously she was really trying to clean up. :(

So her body being used to the alcohol/drugs was not able to adjust since she didn't gradually slow down on usage (as advised by doctors), but completely stopped. Looks like she tried, but that could have been a contributing factor to her death. :\

Last edited:

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
The only set of drugs that I know off-hand that can kill you if you dont taper them down are Benzos.....opiates and alcohol are hell to come off, but generally dont kill.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
The only set of drugs that I know off-hand that can kill you if you dont taper them down are Benzos.....opiates and alcohol are hell to come off, but generally dont kill.

... being the key term. If your body is weak enough from years of abuse the withdrawl certainly can kill you.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007

Alcohol withdrawal is actually more dangerous than opiate withdrawal, and can be fatal if not undertaken with professional supervision.

Opiate withdrawal, while extremely uncomfortable, is rarely fatal.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Alcohol withdrawal is actually more dangerous than opiate withdrawal, and can be fatal if not undertaken with professional supervision.

I believe there was a guy on the Island here who was running a rehab centre where they sedated alcoholics while they the DTs and other symptoms of cold turkey withdrawl. He came under fire cause a couple of his patients died, if I remember right.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

Yes, I would bet money that if she died from withdrawal, it was alcohol. I've read some claims that opiate withdrawal is never fatal by itself.

People don't realize just how toxic alcohol is. It's on the same level as heroin, if not moreso.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I haven't seen any confirmed toxicology reports so forgive me for being skeptical, but even if she was trying to sober up it isn't the first time she was trying to get sober. If she was sober, I am surprised this attempt did her in, but I'm betting it wouldn't have been her last need to get sober had she lived. She had some serious problems.

Not sure if this was posted already, it's a few days old:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/25/amy-winehouse-autopsy-inconclusive_n_908743.html
On Sunday, the Mirror reported that Winehouse had been on a weeks-long bender and that friends claimed she died from a cocktail of alcohol and ecstasy; whether that is true remains to be seen. Her mother Janice, who saw Winehouse just the day before she died, said that she seemed out of it and the death seemed sadly inevitable.

Last edited:

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
No illegal drugs in Winehouse toxicology report

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:39am EDT

(Reuters) - Toxicology tests showed there were no illegal substances in British singer Amy Winehouse's system when she died last month aged 27, her spokesman said on Tuesday.

In a statement, he added that alcohol was present, but that it could not be determined what part, if any, it played in her death.

"Toxicology results returned to the Winehouse family by authorities have confirmed that there were no illegal substances in Amy's system at the time of her death," the statement read.

"Results indicate that alcohol was present but it cannot be determined as yet if it played a role in her death."

It added that Winehouse's family were awaiting the outcome of an inquest into the "Rehab" singer's death. The inquest was opened in July and is due to resume on October 26 in London.

The soul singer, famed for her beehive hairstyle and erratic behavior on and off stage, was found dead at her home in north London on July 23.

The Grammy-winning star behind acclaimed album "Back to Black" had a history of drug and alcohol abuse, and it was widely assumed that they played a part in her death.

One report, however, quoted family sources as saying it could have been caused by sudden alcohol withdrawal.

Her father Mitch said at her funeral that Winehouse was "the happiest she had been for years.

"Three years ago, Amy conquered her drug dependency -- the doctors said it was impossible but she really did it," he said in remarks reported by the British media.

"She was trying hard to deal with her drinking and had just completed three weeks of abstinence. She said, 'Dad I've had enough of drinking, I can't stand the look on your and the family's faces anymore.'"

Winehouse's last filmed performance was in Serbia in June, when she was jeered by the crowd as she struggled to perform her songs and stay upright. On some tunes, the audience did most of the singing.
The gig, posted on the YouTube video sharing site, prompted her management to cancel all scheduled performances and give the performer as long as it took to recover.

Mitch Winehouse has announced plans to launch a foundation in his daughter's name to help young people battling addiction.

He said however his efforts had been frustrated by "cyber squatters" who had snapped up possible internet addresses for the charity.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/23/us-amywinehouse-toxicology-idUSTRE77M40U20110823

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Alcohol and barbiturate WD are nearly the same as benzo WD. I imagine meprobamate, phenibut, baclofen, z-drugs, and other drugs related to GABA can also have pretty bad WD's capable of causing real medical problems as well.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Terrelle Pryor's spokesman said he was a first rounder.
Angelo Mozilo's spokesman said he did nothing wrong.
OJ's spokesman said he was looking for the real killer.

People spin the "truth" all of the time.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
No illegal drugs. What about legal ones?

The fact that the report is so clear on "no illegal drugs" speaks volumes, if it was no drugs at all it would say no drugs at all. She probably had enough prescription opiates to bring down a herd of charging rhinos.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Beat me to it Mosh, just saw this on another site/thread.....

She had alcohol in her, but they are unclear about any illegals. It could have also been a really unlucky day (damage already done).

Does this effect my life in any significant way?

Nope.

/me wonders why me even read this/posted.......