Amsterdam Style Restaurant in Colorado - $89 for "Panama Red Pizza"

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
Well, it looks like the mainstream media is becoming more comfortable with reporting on marijuana stuff.

First that article about "Cotton Candy Kush" in the online Sonoma County paper, now this article from myWay (sort of a Drudge Report subsidiary) about a restaurant in Denver. I thought Denver was, like, Colorado Springs, mostly Christians and skiers.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20091217/D9CL1CH00.html

"Ganja Gourmet's menu includes lasagna ("LaGanja"), "Panama Red Pizza" and an olive tapenade called "ganjanade," along with a sweets such as cheesecake, muffins and brownies. Employees wear tie-dyed T-shirts that proclaim, "Our food is so great, you need a license to eat it!!!"

"Ganja Gourmet does offer customers a ride home if they need one. "If someone leaves my place wasted, I'm liable," Horowitz said.

Horowitz's liability worry may be shortlived. Denver's City Council is considering an ordinance banning dispensaries from allowing marijuana to be smoked or eaten on site."

All patrons at the Ganja Gourmet must show a medical marijuana card that proves they have a doctor's permission to use pot for some kind of malady. The place opened last week, and so far, 90 percent of its business has been takeout.

The food isn't cheap. A whole pizza sells for $89, and a dozen sweet treats called Almond Horns cost $120.

"The food is really good," said Jamie Hillyer, a 41-year-old medical marijuana patient who paid $12 for a serving of vegetable LaGanja. Hillyer said that he can't taste the weed in the food and that it gives him a "more mellow" buzz than smoking pot.

Chefs are able to use marijuana in cooking because its key ingredient, the mind-altering drug THC, is fat-soluble, meaning it binds with oils or fats.

Marijuana chefs put leaves or buds in a food processor and grind the marijuana into green flour. Then they add the flour to oil or butter, cook it slowly for up to a couple of days while the THC binds to the fat, and strain out the green flakes.

The result is "cannabutter," or butter that makes a diner high. Chefs say 2 teaspoons of cannabutter typically contain the amount of THC in an ounce of weed.

The pot-infused oils and butters have a greenish tint and an earthy taste, but chefs say the flavor can easily be masked with garlic or other herbs and spices."

I feel a wisecrack about the "Mile High City" coming on, from Letterman or Conan or one of the late night guys.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Only if too much is used. Otherwise it's not much different than Oregano or other Italian spice.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yeah, I had quite a few happy pizzas in Cambodia, they were good. Khmer cooking uses weed in quite a few dishes, mostly I didn't even taste it.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
Yeah, I had quite a few happy pizzas in Cambodia, they were good. Khmer cooking uses weed in quite a few dishes, mostly I didn't even taste it.

i've heard of the Thai version of the "Happy Meal", but it's quite a bit different. (instead of a fresh sorbet to freshen your palette between courses, the hostess provides oral sex for male restaurateurs. which leaves me wondering, what do the women diners get ? )

do the Khmer prepare the dish to manifest the THC in the weed (to get you high), or do they just use it as an herb for taste (like Tarragon - just a tiny bit) ?

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Only if too much is used. Otherwise it's not much different than Oregano or other Italian spice.

You dilute it in oil and it tastes just like the seasoned olive oil to dip your bread it. Or so I hear... ;)

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Well, it looks like the mainstream media is becoming more comfortable with reporting on marijuana stuff.

First that article about "Cotton Candy Kush" in the online Sonoma County paper, now this article from myWay (sort of a Drudge Report subsidiary) about a restaurant in Denver. I thought Denver was, like, Colorado Springs, mostly Christians and skiers.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20091217/D9CL1CH00.html

The result is "cannabutter," or butter that makes a diner high. Chefs say 2 teaspoons of cannabutter typically contain the amount of THC in an ounce of weed.

The pot-infused oils and butters have a greenish tint and an earthy taste, but chefs say the flavor can easily be masked with garlic or other herbs and spices."

I feel a wisecrack about the "Mile High City" coming on, from Letterman or Conan or one of the late night guys.

CS is full of Xians, military people, high tech and hard-core Reps. Boulder is full of hippies, environmentalists, artists, college students, scientists, high tech and hard core Dems. Denver is a mix of both, with an added dash of rednecks, cowboys and suburbanites. Skiers and Mexican immigrants are everywhere in there too.
CO is interesting like that, and evens out to a purple hue. They had one of the first anti-gay laws in Amendment 2, home to Focus on the Family, but also Med MJ and huge organic food industry.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
i've heard of the Thai version of the "Happy Meal", but it's quite a bit different. (instead of a fresh sorbet to freshen your palette between courses, the hostess provides oral sex for male restaurateurs. which leaves me wondering, what do the women diners get ? )

do the Khmer prepare the dish to manifest the THC in the weed (to get you high), or do they just use it as an herb for taste (like Tarragon - just a tiny bit) ?

From my (limited) understanding mostly it's just used as a flavor enhancer. There are BIG exceptions like the happy pizza though. Happy indeed.

Man, I spent a while in Thailand but I didn't run into the happy meal. Damn it. Down in Ko Samui and other places they had some pretty hardcore mushroom drinks though.

scott916

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2005

Uh, no. And if prepared correctly, cannabutter tastes fantastic.

canadageek

Dec 28, 2004
Uh, no. And if prepared correctly, cannabutter tastes fantastic.

well, it's possible, but thats some REALLY potent cannabutter.

28g in an ounce, assuming 15% THC content (definitely possible, but might be +-5%)
4.2g thc in whatever amount of butter they used, two teaspoons of butter weigh about 10g or so. of course, I have n clue what the sauturation point for butter is, I just err on the side of caution and throw in a lil' extra ;)

seriously, though....if I ate those two teaspoons, I'm pretty sure I'd have the greatest 30 minutes of my life and then pass out. for a week.

scott916

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2005
well, it's possible, but thats some REALLY potent cannabutter.

28g in an ounce, assuming 15% THC content (definitely possible, but might be +-5%)
4.2g thc in whatever amount of butter they used, two teaspoons of butter weigh about 10g or so. of course, I have n clue what the sauturation point for butter is, I just err on the side of caution and throw in a lil' extra ;)

seriously, though....if I ate those two teaspoons, I'm pretty sure I'd have the greatest 30 minutes of my life and then pass out. for a week.

It would be impossible for an ounce of shake to be successfully integrated into half a stick of butter, and even if it could, there's no way it would uptake 100% of its THC. And even if they COULD do that, there's no way they WOULD. It's just poor sensationalist journalism, especially the introductory sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.