Question 'Ampere'/Next-gen gaming uarch speculation thread

Page 159 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
How much is the Samsung 7nm EUV process expected to provide in terms of gains?
How will the RTX components be scaled/developed?
Any major architectural enhancements expected?
Will VRAM be bumped to 16/12/12 for the top three?
Will there be further fragmentation in the lineup? (Keeping turing at cheaper prices, while offering 'beefed up RTX' options at the top?)
Will the top card be capable of >4K60, at least 90?
Would Nvidia ever consider an HBM implementation in the gaming lineup?
Will Nvidia introduce new proprietary technologies again?

Sorry if imprudent/uncalled for, just interested in the forum member's thoughts.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
So when will benchmarks be out?

No idea, but I'd imagine they'll be out before the 1st batch of cards sell out.

I think being under NDA technically your not allowed to even say your under NDA let alone when it lifts. I guess you'd have the option to say when your reviews will ready....Probably somewhat of a loophole depending on wording.

LFCNZ

Sep 4, 2011
No idea, but I'd imagine they'll be out before the 1st batch of cards sell out.

I think being under NDA technically your not allowed to even say your under NDA let alone when it lifts. I guess you'd have the option to say when your reviews will ready....Probably somewhat of a loophole depending on wording.
Right, surely NDA must lift when they go on sale, on the 17th Sept?

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Console hardware have always been sold at a lost because that's how the business work. Just like razors, you make your money on the blades. MS/Sony/Nintendo make money on every game that get sold. I don't know why people keep comparing price of consoles to PC hardware, they're not comparable.
Consoles haven't been sold at a loss in a very long time.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Kuiva maa

May 1, 2014

The video got pulled down too. I leaning towards more fakery and guessing due to the history of the channel doing it before where they have been caught out. So really a non-story.

Rogame says it is legit i think. What was his ampere leaks track record?

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
This one, just like NV's promotion material, is also lacking 2080Ti comparison in actual games? That makes it less credible if they have the actual card, you wouldn't just 'miss' the same data.

DJinPrime

Sep 9, 2020
Consoles haven't been sold at a loss in a very long time.
Are you talking about at launch or later in the life of the console? Obviously now, it's cheap to build xbox one and ps4, just like it's cheap to get equivalent cpu and gpu from that period.
So, just going by the parts mentioned for the new xbox; 8 core zen 2 $300, 16GB $50, 1TB SSD $100, that's already roughly $450 for just those components. What about the custom MB, custom cooling solution, PS, case, OS, controller, cables, packaging, marketing, and the new GPU?
Also the RAM are GDDR6, so much higher than $50.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
In regard to hashing performance, didn't the GDDR5X in the 1080 hurt performance in algorithms for altcoins like Ethereum? Does GDDR6X suffer the same problem?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i am expecting to see aa 50-100% markup on these cards at launch...
Lucky for me i am waiting for the FTW3 edition with waterblock, so i won't be seeing my card for a while.

Reactions: blckgrffn

Krteq

May 22, 2015
Pretty good actually! I think a 30 to 40% increase over 2080 TI would be quite good
So.. still the same story. About 30 - 40% performance increase for cca. 30% power consumption increase :oops:

Those comparisons in games against 2080S are way too disturbing

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
In regard to hashing performance, didn't the GDDR5X in the 1080 hurt performance in algorithms for altcoins like Ethereum? Does GDDR6X suffer the same problem?
That was until people discovered how to adjust the timings for GDDR5X. GDDR6 doesn't seem to be too bad based on the performance of the RX 5700s but GDDR6X is as of yet unknown.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Are you talking about at launch or later in the life of the console? Obviously now, it's cheap to build xbox one and ps4, just like it's cheap to get equivalent cpu and gpu from that period.
So, just going by the parts mentioned for the new xbox; 8 core zen 2 $300, 16GB $50, 1TB SSD $100, that's already roughly $450 for just those components. What about the custom MB, custom cooling solution, PS, case, OS, controller, cables, packaging, marketing, and the new GPU?
PS4 and XBO were not sold at a loss in their entire run (discounting BF sales). You have to go back to like 2008/2009ish (I don't remember the exact year) to find the last time either one sold a console at a loss. Nintendo, actually, is the most recent company to sell a console at a loss, with the WiiU thanks to the expensive controller.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

Well, it depends on the definition of "loss".

The PS4 and XBO were sold for roughly the cost to build them at launch. But, if one it includes R&D, marketing, shipping, they were sold for a loss.

DJinPrime

Sep 9, 2020
Well, it depends on the definition of "loss".

The PS4 and XBO were sold for roughly the cost to build them at launch. But, if one it includes R&D, marketing, shipping, they were sold for a loss.
R&D, marketing, and logistics are definitely priced into any product, other wise, you'll lose money. Regardless, my point was that comparing the price of a video card against a console is pointless and wrong. There are many reason why the console is cheaper, the main one I pointed out is that they can make the money back in selling the software and services. Heck, with micro transactions and their membership services, they can make money giving the console away for free.

Veradun

Jul 29, 2016
No,
Understand that there is a difference between
Data paths
Execution units
Instruction dispatch /retire

Ampere has all the execution units claimed 128 fp and 64 int but not the other resources to sustain them every cycle.
Well...

There is a difference between having 4gigs of memory on board and using them. Nevertheless they got sued and had to pay consumers because they said GTX970 had 4 gigs, which was true.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
IIRC, AMD buys more wafers. Apple is a priority customer. They buy risk production (essentially subsidizing node refinement), and pay more per wafer so that they are first in line.
Yeah, the only thing I've heard about AMD and 5nm is a rumor article months ago and whatever Nostril babbles on about on here. You're right about Apple though. It's also what fuels TSMC to make sure everything works.

Though I'm more keen to find out how Samsung is doing outside of their peppy PR BS.

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
Well...

There is a difference between having 4gigs of memory on board and using them. Nevertheless they got sued and had to pay consumers because they said GTX970 had 4 gigs, which was true.
GTX 970 could use all that VRAM too. Last 512MB was slow though.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
What a disaster this would be if true...
Fake news re miners and 3080.
EhiRbrBXYAAG61w.png:large

Reactions: lightmanek