Question 'Ampere'/Next-gen gaming uarch speculation thread

Page 119 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
How much is the Samsung 7nm EUV process expected to provide in terms of gains?
How will the RTX components be scaled/developed?
Any major architectural enhancements expected?
Will VRAM be bumped to 16/12/12 for the top three?
Will there be further fragmentation in the lineup? (Keeping turing at cheaper prices, while offering 'beefed up RTX' options at the top?)
Will the top card be capable of >4K60, at least 90?
Would Nvidia ever consider an HBM implementation in the gaming lineup?
Will Nvidia introduce new proprietary technologies again?

Sorry if imprudent/uncalled for, just interested in the forum member's thoughts.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Don't worry guys/gals it's Sunday. I got the crow on the smoker and if my estimate is correct it should be ready to serve just after the reviews drop.

500w's? Gotta be Big Navi /s

Not sure if the 500w's is FUD or possibly reality.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
So much of this seems unbelievable. The incredibly high density for such a massive die, the power draw figures that put even Intel to shame, the prices that are getting into financing territory. All of it just seems to be too wild to possibly be true.

Yet the weirdest part is that all of them make more sense if all of the rumors are true. Of course a densely packed monster die is going to have a heat problem and chew through power, and it's going to be expensive to produce.

Regardless of how it all turns out, this is the most excited I've been for a new GPU (or even a technology product in general) for a while. This is like being a little kid and having to wait a few more days for Christmas all over again.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
475W can still be "about 500W", and on water cooled GPUs.

No way in hell they are able to cool this down using anything else than liquid Cooling. So those may be very special SKUs with clocks completely unlocked.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Regardless of how it all turns out, this is the most excited I've been for a new GPU (or even a technology product in general) for a while. This is like being a little kid and having to wait a few more days for Christmas all over again.
Me too. HOWEVER, nothing leaks about sub 400$ price target.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I can believe 500W for some AIB cards. The higher speed AIB cards tend to use 30-50W more than the stock ones by default, and more like 50-100W if you increase the power limit.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Me too. HOWEVER, nothing leaks about sub 400$ price target.

Nothing leaking about it all being based on Alien technology from the crash landing at Roswell either. :p

I suspect that some rumors don't exist simply because there's no basis for them to exist. It's likely that NVidia will eventually have some products below $400, but those might not be the focus of this event.

I'm sure that the people who want a new card for $300 are fine with waiting.

kurosaki

Feb 7, 2019
Nothing leaking about it all being based on Alien technology from the crash landing at Roswell either. :p

I suspect that some rumors don't exist simply because there's no basis for them to exist. It's likely that NVidia will eventually have some products below $400, but those might not be the focus of this event.

I'm sure that the people who want a new card for $300 are fine with waiting.
And when the new 300 dollar cards arrive, they will performe just the same as the old ones...

DXDiag

Nov 12, 2017
Given your post history here, I understand why you would know so much about digging holes.
What a pathetic post, Am I the one who insisted NVIDIA gaming cards are not coming this year? Am I the one who claimed they are 8nm? Am I the one who claimed so many other FUD and worthless posts and arguments that are devoid of any facts?!

The audacity of some of the members here who times and times again claim certain things to be absolute facts and then when they are proven wrong have no shame to show their faces again with yet another set of pathetic claims.

And then you dare talk to me about my post history!! LOL that's not even funny.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
You could cool the die at 500W with air, you just wouldn't enjoy it that much. It would take some pretty beastly fans on the cooler itself, and good case airflow. 500W on air isn't going to be quiet.

DDH

May 30, 2015
Couldn't Vega pull upwards of 450 with unlocked power? 500 W is believable with ocing. Not sure if an AIB would release a card with 500w tdp though

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
What a pathetic post, Am I the one who insisted NVIDIA gaming cards are not coming this year? Am I the one who claimed they are 8nm? Am I the one who claimed so many other FUD and worthless posts and arguments that are devoid of any facts?!

The audacity of some of the members here who times and times again claim certain things to be absolute facts and then when they are proven wrong have no shame to show their faces again with yet another set of pathetic claims.

And then you dare talk to me about my post history!! LOL that's not even funny.
It appears that only you believe that that 7 nm is TSMC, when everything points to it being a custom version of 8 nm LPP from Samsung.

So why cope?

Reactions: spursindonesia

DXDiag

Nov 12, 2017
It appears that only you believe that that 7 nm is TSMC, when everything points to it being a custom version of 8 nm LPP from Samsung.
Everything being your consistent past history of rumor mongering.

The density alone destroys your theory and the fact that NVIDIA would need to split their design across two foundries for no obvious reasons.

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017

So why cope?

I think if it is based on Samsung 8nm, they will say it is 8mm. If it is completely custom variant of 8nm and they decided to call it something else, most likely they won't call it 7nm. Samsung actually has 7nm node which is completely different from their 8nm and will only create unnecessary confusion.
There is still a good chance it is actually based on TSMC 7nm so I wouldn't say what you said for sure without knowing the architecture details.