Among the budget student laptops which do you think are the best?

Coyle

May 15, 2020
I see many student laptops in the $100-$200 range; which one/s do you think are best value for the price--staying under $200 and closer to $100 as possible--for younger child so doesn't need any fancy features, just be able to browse internet, etc; basic stuff.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Does it need to be compatible with their school? Find out if a Win10/Win11 laptop is suitable, or if they should get a Chromebook. I'm not much of a fan of Chromebooks myself, but the decent ones are often no cheaper than a low-end Windows laptop.

Jul 27, 2020
opOP
Honestly, OP needs to snag that deal ASAP. That is refurbished price for a new pretty snappy laptop!

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Honestly, OP needs to snag that deal ASAP. That is refurbished price for a new pretty snappy laptop!
If not that one (and it is New), then look up HP Elitebook G2 and G3 on Newegg, you can get them for under $200 refurb because there's so many of them off-lease. I've seen lower-grade refurbs for as low as $116. YMMV with refurbs though.

Coyle

May 15, 2020
Does it need to be compatible with their school? Find out if a Win10/Win11 laptop is suitable, or if they should get a Chromebook. I'm not much of a fan of Chromebooks myself, but the decent ones are often no cheaper than a low-end Windows laptop.
Yes, Win10/11 is fine, doesn't need to be a chromebook.

matthias87

Aug 15, 2022
Get a laptop with a longer warranty period if it is for a very young child. They tend to break gadgets easily. ;)

Have a Dell laptop for more than three years. Recently I face problems while typing. The laptop keyboard is showing problems. Sometimes characters print automatically, sometimes no response. It is over the warranty period and I am thinking about go for an external keyboard that supports my Dell version.

Check the keyboard carefully. Can you see a key stuck? If so, try to release it. Getting an external keyboard is a good choice too.
https://www.systosys.com/p/fix-dell-laptop-keyboard-complaints.html

Last edited: