Amerndment 64 and what it means for Colorado and the Nation

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AMDZen, Nov 8, 2012.

1. darkewaffle

darkewaffle Diamond Member

Ok, so Denver was behind the times up until that point :p

In both Philly and Pittsburgh I've had friends smoke extensively with little issue and it's not even decriminalized here. It's just that people don't really care in many 'minor' incidents unless you really press your luck.

2. Squisher

Squisher Lifer

3. Corporate Thug

How is this a state issue? The FDA is a federal administrative organization in charge of drug regulation and the Fed Gov has jurisdiction based on the commerce clause...change has to come from the Feds.

4. SMOGZINN

SMOGZINN Diamond Member

I'm hoping we will also see a few 'me too' like we saw for medical marijuana and concealed carry. Once other states saw that it didn't cause mass havoc and was actually beneficial they went ahead and adopted a similar policy. I think in a few years we will see 3-4 other states follow suit.

5. Ns1

Ns1 No Lifer

the many states with MMJ laws will disagree with you.

6. SunnyD

SunnyD Belgian Waffler

You keep saying that... "You wouldn't know unless you followed it."

Dumbass, we HAVE been following it. This is exactly what the federal government has been waiting for.

Yes, you're absolutely right. The minor possession cases did nothing because the scope of them were meaningless. The difference is now the law enables EVERYONE to be classified as possession with intent to sell a Schedule 1 substance. This is a huge no-no, and you better believe that the DEA is going to be dragging Colorado and Washington to court in no time.

So yes, you're right, the feds can't police every person individually. But they're going to make your state's life a living hell now.

7. zinfamous

zinfamous No Lifer

what do you mean? exactly what SunnyD said has been going on in CA since this state passed medical MJ. Dispensaries have been shut down by the feds--especially under the current Admin--and each one spends years in public litigation and courts just trying to operate regularly.

8. Ns1

Ns1 No Lifer

and for each one being shut down/sued, 5 more pop up.

9. AMDZen

AMDZen Lifer

I agree that this has happened in California, however it hasn't happened in Colorado. California draws the federal attention away from everyone else. They barely have had time to shut down a few dispensaries there. Colorado companies have been left alone

10. Corporate Thug

Ummm, yeah...I've followed closely and been involved in MMJ litigation in CA. There is absolutely NO clarity whatsoever as to what law apply...Los Angeles County is shutting down shops left and right and the Obama administration has made it clear that it will continue to crack down on MMJ in CA, CO and WA.

11. zinfamous

zinfamous No Lifer

not up here.

Berkeley--of all places--now has, officially, ZERO dispensaries. The last and only one was shut down about 6 months ago. :(

Oakland also doesn't reflect the trend in SoCal and especially Denver when their law first passed, and you'd see a dozen of them each week (which was beyond stupid, really).

12. AMDZen

AMDZen Lifer

Well, they haven't yet so...we'll see won't we

13. Ns1

Ns1 No Lifer

Yes, but what I'm saying is change didn't come from the feds. Change came from the voters/states. Feds still classify MJ as Sch1 (aka no valid medical use)

There is no clarity but that doesn't stop me from finding 5 dispensaries within a 1 block radius of my house (true story)

Doesn't Oakland have a couple of city approved dispensaries?

14. Corporate Thug

that's not the point. Dispensaries should not operate in a "quasi - legal" penumbra. The only way they will be able to operate like an other legal business is if the Feds legalize.

15. zinfamous

zinfamous No Lifer

and has been said before--this is an entirely new can of worms. Full on legalization. ...yikes. Just wait. The only thing that helps you guys is that you aren't recognized as a trafficking center. If anything, that's what brings all the attention to CA.

But this is so very different. I'm all for it, mind you (but I still contend that this sort of thing needs to be adopted on a much broader basis, rather than create tiny islands of legality for it to ever become established), but I fully expect the Feds to put all their energy into coming after CO and WA.

16. AMDZen

AMDZen Lifer

They can, will and they are though. Your opinion doesn't reflect that of the average consumer here in Colorado. As long as they can make money they will.

As a consumer, thats all I care about. I don't care if a couple people are "shut down" to try and send a message, I just want to walk into a store and buy a "pack of joints" or something. That would be sweet

17. PricklyPete

PricklyPete Lifer

I don't expect to find marijuana shops down the street (although we have a ton of medical ones)... My purpose for voting for the measure is to get people thinking and hopefully other states following suit. At some point, with enough states backing it, the federal government will lax its laws.

I do not smoke, but I think the ban on marijuana just creates violence and unneeded government opportunities.

18. AMDZen

AMDZen Lifer

As a voter this is the only option I've been given. The only way MJ will be legal is if enough states do it, the feds won't have a choice. Thats how it will happen, mark my words.

19. Ns1

Ns1 No Lifer

no arguments there. but we got to this point cuz of states/voters, not feds.

feds got their heads up their ass - no valid medical use my ass.

20. zinfamous

zinfamous No Lifer

Yes indeed. but even "famed Oaksterdam" has been going through some serious pressure very recently. I'm only saying that up here, you don't see them spreading like cancer as you do in SoCal and Denver. And many of these (LA/Denver) very clearly skirting the state/county-established regulations...so I never have sympathy when these idiots get shut down and boo-hoo about it.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Oaksterdam-University-Raided-by-Feds-145765015.html

21. SunnyD

SunnyD Belgian Waffler

That's called "revolution". Hasn't happened in quite some time. Unfortunately, there's too many stupid people left in the country (including the politicians) that outweigh the amount of people with common sense.

22. zinfamous

zinfamous No Lifer

I agree, and I hope so. I voted for it in 2010 here, but we know what happened with that (legalization squashed by, guess who? yep--the established dispensaries. go figure)

My concern is that when you localize it--you create amsterdam. A pretty seedy and nasty place where, regardless of how this issue truly is harmless, all of the detritus that tends to come with it will certainly sift down and concentrate into these areas (not the traffickers--no profit. Just the scum).

Why not have a nationwide, organized campaign that gets these bills on, say, 15-20 states, all at once in the same election year? Only voters can do it, yeah, but I'd like to see a much higher concentration of support to neutralize the inherent crime and "unseemliness" that one simply as to accept when these laws pass locally.

23. AMDZen

AMDZen Lifer

Agreed on that. The dispensaries that have been shut down here were done so because they can only be "X" distance from a school and things like that

24. 1sikbITCH

1sikbITCH Diamond Member

Not even. For the first time in our nation's history 50% of Americans support full legalization.
    A whopping 70% support medical marijuana use.

Those that oppose? 65 and older. As they die off their voting power disappears and it's game over. Plus the old white people are being replaced by Hispanics, and as far as I can tell Hispanic people do not have the same stigma attached to pot that our society has had.

The snowball is definitely growing and picking up speed. It's already showing up in the 17 states that decriminalized pot and the 2 new states that have now flat out legalized small amounts. Within 10 years I'd bet it will be legal to some extent in most states, and constituent pressure will continue to mount on the officials we are sending to Washington every year.

The old boys club and the religious freaks will scrape and claw and cling to prohibition but in the end they'll die and the laws will change.

Come senators, congressmen
    Please heed the call
    Don't stand in the doorway
    Don't block up the hall
    For he that gets hurt
    Will be he who has stalled
    There's a battle outside
    And it is ragin'
    It'll soon shake your windows
    And rattle your walls
    For the times they are a-changin'.

25. sactoking

sactoking Diamond Member

How is this any different than Alabama declaring the Affordable Care Act to be void in that state?