Amerndment 64 and what it means for Colorado and the Nation

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Well we did it. Prohibition which lasted 70 years has officially taken the next, and very serious step along the road to Marijuana legalization. What will it mean on a federal level? Will they cut funding for our state? Will they prosecute the first company that starts selling joints in your local convenience store / gas station.

I agree with this article, it brings more questions then anything but I for one, cannot wait to find out what happens.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/passage-147015-questions-amendment.html

Go Colorado!!

That means that on Jan. 6, possession and consumption of up to an ounce of marijuana will be legal, and individuals can grow up to six marijuana plants. Amendment 64 supersedes any state or local laws that conflict with it.

But it’s not that simple. Local governments can opt out of the amendment’s directives. And plenty of state lawmakers say the implications of the amendment and its directives will take years to shake out.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
The government could always just sell the state to Pakistan, or Iran, or Mexico. or whatever.

lol

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
What it means is that your state will be spending precious tax dollars better spent elsewhere defending itself in the federal court system for nothing, just to see this law ultimately struck down.

(Note: I am all for the legalization of weed, but I'm just speaking the reality of the situation because politicians are fucking wasteful morons.)

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
What it means is that your state will be spending precious tax dollars better spent elsewhere defending itself in the federal court system for nothing, just to see this law ultimately struck down.

That is what they said when we were one of the 1st state's to legalize medical Marijuana. That was in 2000. You clearly are in no position to pretend that you know or understand what you are talking about.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012

(Note: I am all for the legalization of weed, but I'm just speaking the reality of the situation because politicians are fucking wasteful morons.)

Pretty much. The federal government won't be allowing this anytime soon, unfortunatly.

So basically all this is, is a dummy law for the time being.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
That is what they said when we were one of the 1st state's to legalize medical Marijuana. That was in 2000. You clearly are in no position to pretend that you know or understand what you are talking about.

There is a completely different set of circumstances between medical marijuana and casual possession and sale. The DEA and DOJ has already said they are going to pursue this starting yesterday.

All I can say is "good luck with that". Drug enforcement is big business in Washington. They're not going to let you take away that revenue stream.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Pretty much. The federal government won't be allowing this anytime soon, unfortunatly.

So basically all this is, is a dummy law for the time being.

LOL

You are just echo'ing the exact sentiments of Medicinal Marijuana. As of yesterday, 18 states currently have regulated medical marijuana laws.

Washington has joined Colorado in legalizing its recreational use.

So Washington is clearly dumb too? Colorado and California set the trend on the medicinal use and now 18 stats have it in 12 years. 2 states now have it legalized like alcohol and how long before California and others follow suit?

We'll see. You guys don't know what you're talking about, but it doesn't matter for you since you don't live here or in Washington.

I'm interested to hear the thoughts of those who live in these two states.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
There is a completely different set of circumstances between medical marijuana and casual possession and sale. The DEA and DOJ has already said they are going to pursue this starting yesterday.

All I can say is "good luck with that". Drug enforcement is big business in Washington. They're not going to let you take away that revenue stream.

On a state level they don't have a choice now. The city and states will replace that revenue stream with taxes on the sale of marijuana which will not only replace it entirely but will probably be MUCH larger in number.

Denver had already decriminalized it this way 4 years ago, now its state wide. I've seen people get busted in Denver with it and get a warning or just a misdemeanor. Federal court will not have the time or desire to start prosecuting every case, nor will anything like that happen

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Hopefully this means it becomes a magnet state for stupid people and gets them out of the other states.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Denver had already decriminalized it this way 4 years ago, now its state wide. I've seen people get busted in Denver with it and get a warning or just a misdemeanor. Federal court will not have the time or desire to start prosecuting every case, nor will anything like that happen

It's that way in most areas already, I wouldn't really consider it a barometer. Minor possession isn't what gets you in big trouble, trafficking/selling/possession of extreme quantities is when you're screwed.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I don't think this will actually do anything, but it's a good step in the right direction.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
The government could always just sell the state to Pakistan, or Iran, or Mexico. or whatever.

lol

Actually, if you combine this with adding puerto rico as a state, you'd still have room for one more state to get back to 50 between colorado and washington. Hmmmm....!

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Regardless... expect this to end up in federal courts and struck down anyway. As I said, drug enforcement is one of those domains that the federal government protects zealously, a lot like immigration and such. The medical mj was very limited in scope, but this essentially opens up a huge can 'o whoopass.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Regardless... expect this to end up in federal courts and struck down anyway. As I said, drug enforcement is one of those domains that the federal government protects zealously, a lot like immigration and such. The medical mj was very limited in scope, but this essentially opens up a huge can 'o whoopass.

100% agreed, but this is a statement IMHO. It means support for recreational use of MJ and gay marriage has increased over the years.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Actually, if you combine this with adding puerto rico as a state, you'd still have room for one more state to get back to 50 between colorado and washington. Hmmmm....!

Oh god... it all makes sense now.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004

Medical MJ has never been limited in scope in Colorado. But again, you wouldn't know that or anything about us. The number of people with medicinal cards is staggering, something over 30% of adults.

Which is why this amendment passed at 72% for it. And why we are leading the way once again.

We'll see it decriminalized federally soon enough

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Can local police make arrests for federal laws?
If a person smokes a joint in public in Colorado, can a local police officer arrest him?
Would it take a federal agent to make the arrest?

Interdasting...

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
It's that way in most areas already, I wouldn't really consider it a barometer. Minor possession isn't what gets you in big trouble, trafficking/selling/possession of extreme quantities is when you're screwed.

Bullshit, prior to the decriminalization in Denver you could go to jail for having a joint on you, after it the cops didn't do anything because they simply didn't have the power to do so without getting State or Federal authorities involved. So unless you were busted by a state trooper in Denver you were good to go.

Now its state wide. Very big difference. Those of us in Denver know what I'm talking about.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
LOL

You are just echo'ing the exact sentiments of Medicinal Marijuana. As of yesterday, 18 states currently have regulated medical marijuana laws.

Washington has joined Colorado in legalizing its recreational use.

So Washington is clearly dumb too? Colorado and California set the trend on the medicinal use and now 18 stats have it in 12 years. 2 states now have it legalized like alcohol and how long before California and others follow suit?

We'll see. You guys don't know what you're talking about, but it doesn't matter for you since you don't live here or in Washington.

I'm interested to hear the thoughts of those who live in these two states.

Sure I do. Federal law trumps state laws on same issues.

Therefore, the state law is nothing more than a statement for the time being. The federal government is also HUGE on this issue still, and will try and stop it.

Which means it will be a while before the federal government steps in and looks at it as a whole for the country for legalization.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The most important thing this will do is force a national conversation on the topic. Until now this has been a subject that politicians avoided as to risky. Now it is likely to be a wedge topic in the next election cycle.
I would love to see one of the parties (lets face it, only the Democrats would even considers it) take it on as a states rights issue.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Can local police make arrests for federal laws?
If a person smokes a joint in public in Colorado, can a local police officer arrest him?
Would it take a federal agent to make the arrest?

Interdasting...

Yes, because local enforcement are required to hold up federal law too. Otherwise state-wide you could get a way with a lot...

However, it would have to go through a judge at a federal level and not state level as that is where the law was broken.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Sure I do. Federal law trumps state laws on same issues.

Therefore, the state law is nothing more than a statement for the time being. The federal government is also HUGE on this issue still, and will try and stop it.

Which means it will be a while before the federal government steps in and looks at it as a whole for the country for legalization.

If they choose to prosecute you at the federal level, which means federal court, yes. Federal court will throw out the case saying its a state / city issue that the city / state needs to deal with. Federal courts have their own REAL matters to resolve, not minor possession of a harmless substance.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Yes, because local enforcement are required to hold up federal law too. Otherwise state-wide you could get a way with a lot...

However, it would have to go through a judge at a federal level and not state level as that is where the law was broken.

Which is why it doesn't happen. Again, you wouldn't know that unless you followed it. There are stories in the news all the time, in 2008 when it was first legalized in Denver several stories of minor possession charges were tried in Federal court and thrown out. They have better things to deal with

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
The most important thing this will do is force a national conversation on the topic. Until now this has been a subject that politicians avoided as to risky. Now it is likely to be a wedge topic in the next election cycle.
I would love to see one of the parties (lets face it, only the Democrats would even considers it) take it on as a states rights issue.

Agreed. Others in this thread are still way off base when discussing the changes that will be made locally. I think we'll see quite a few changes and soon

Apr 17, 2003
If they choose to prosecute you at the federal level, which means federal court, yes. Federal court will throw out the case saying its a state / city issue that the city / state needs to deal with. Federal courts have their own REAL matters to resolve, not minor possession of a harmless substance.

It's not a state issue if there is a conflicting federal law...a federal judge cannot just throw out a case on jurisdicitional grounds just because he thinks it's a waste of time. The Federal Courts have subject matter jurisdiction over this issue - plain and simple.

Also, the cases that will be brought in Federal Court will NOT be the petty one ouncers...it will be the dispensary owners.