America's REAL addiciton.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Forget oil. What America is REALLY addicted to is short term thinking.

With our bridges falling down we spend just enough to keep them up. Not enough to really fix them.

With our electrical grid stretched to its limit, we spend just enough to get thru another year or two.

We institute tax policies that encourage our corporations to pay dividends instead of investing in research or building new plants.

We fix our porous borders by raiding a plant and deporting 300 workers.

We pump up our economy on borowed money and pat ourselves on our back.

We outsource our jobs to get lower prices and ignore the drawbacks.

We fight terrorists by killing a bunch of people, of whom only some are terrorists, and say we are winning the war, and ignore the consequences of killing innocents.

I could go on and on. Want to be better ballplayer? Take steroids. Ignore the long term consequences.
Is the price of gas low this month? Buy a Hummer.
etc, etc.

Seriously, is there any problem we don't choose the short term fix for?

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: techs

I'm not so sure about that?

How do you explain keep voting for Republican?

I can explain it.

- Just picture in your mind how stupid the average person is... Now think, half of everyone is stupider than that guy! - George Carlin.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: bbdub333
War not going exactly as was planned? Pull out immediately.

Yeah, you're right.

Or, ya know, rushing into the war based on shoddy and fabricated intelligence without letting the UN continue its inspections and/or having a plan to stabilize Iraq after the invasion.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Blame me. I voted for Nader because he's pure. I wanted to teach the Democrats a lesson.

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Balt

Yeah, you're right.

Or, ya know, rushing into the war based on shoddy and fabricated intelligence without letting the UN continue its inspections and/or having a plan to stabilize Iraq after the invasion.

So you are saying that poor short term thinking should beget more poor short term thinking?

g8wayrebel

Nov 15, 2004
LOL , the Dem's always want to blame politics rather than accepting it is the very fabric of the country.
Amen to the OP.
As far as voting Republican goes , all you Dem's turn in your man cards give 90% of your wages to the Democrats and let them run your lives for you.
They can negotiate with all the morons and radicals in the world to regain favor and bribe and buy our way back to popularity in the world.
They will be happy change your TV stations and set your air conditioner temperatures among other things.
After all it is they , not you, who knows whats best for you.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
It would be nice if we poured money into this country to improve infrastructure. Its kind of sad that countries are starting to pass us up.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Balt

Yeah, you're right.

So you are saying that poor short term thinking should beget more poor short term thinking?

Nope. Just trying to point out to you how fruitless it is to try to immediately politicize this issue as if your side is superior at long-term thinking. We could quibble all day long about examples if you want.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
The late Frank Zappa said, "It is not getting any smarter out there, you need to come to terms with stupidity and make it work for you."

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: g8wayrebel
LOL , the Dem's always want to blame politics rather than accepting it is the very fabric of the country.
Amen to the OP.
As far as voting Republican goes , all you Dem's turn in your man cards give 90% of your wages to the Democrats and let them run your lives for you.
They can negotiate with all the morons and radicals in the world to regain favor and bribe and buy our way back to popularity in the world.
They will be happy change your TV stations and set your air conditioner temperatures among other things.

LOL @ conservative talk radio brainwashing

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Amen to the OP.
As if you'd have a clue about a Man Card or Manhood in general.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Blame me. I voted for Nader because he's pure. I wanted to teach the Democrats a lesson.

what is your deal lately?

its one thing if you think that voting for the lesser evil is better than voting for the seemingly impossible, but I think its a little unfair to be so insulting towards those who just want a significant change in the way our political system runs...

how do you think that new countries start? i mean the biggest changes in history have often come from radical departures from a "current" system

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
Originally posted by: LumbergTech
Read Moonie's Sig before commenting on his posts.

ive seen him commenting in other threads and attacking libertarians..i wont pretend to always know when he is or isnt being serious though..

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Amen to the OP.

Wow... this really proves how dumb you right wing nutjobs are... You say all of this outrageous untrue stuff attacking dems (that you no doubt hear on conservative talk shows) and praise the OP...

Guess what ? The OP lists a bunch of crap caused by the conservative admin.

Get some understanding and perspective and Please, PLEASE dont have any children.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
Originally posted by: LumbergTech
Read Moonie's Sig before commenting on his posts.

ive seen him commenting in other threads and attacking libertarians..i wont pretend to always know when he is or isnt being serious though..

I don't know what a libertarian really is but I think I more or less am one so I'm not really interested in attacking anybody. I am, however, not fond of fanatics of any stripe and anybody who thinks wasting a vote at a time when, as is my opinion, it is critical we wrest control of this country from Republicans, is doing something I think is quite irresponsible. I find the defense that those who don't think like them are all the same is blindness and denial and ideological drivel and I think, also, that libertarians are more interested in carping about what is wrong with everybody else than being serious about being elected and making real changes.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Amen to the OP.

I thought it was the Conservatives that wanted to control what was on TV and the radio? Nothing like a daily thump on the head from a Bible whether you need it or not.

I don't understand why people need to have their AC temp @ 72 degrees. Buy a ceiling fan and stop being a bunch of babies.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001

..the democrats are extinct. secular progressives and eco-KOOKS took their place.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Is there any thread you won't throw your temper tantrum's little boy? I think you need to go sit in the corner and think about your behavior.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: techs

With our bridges falling down we spend just enough to keep them up. Not enough to really fix them.

With our electrical grid stretched to its limit, we spend just enough to get thru another year or two.

We institute tax policies that encourage our corporations to pay dividends instead of investing in research or building new plants.

We fix our porous borders by raiding a plant and deporting 300 workers.

We pump up our economy on borowed money and pat ourselves on our back.

We outsource our jobs to get lower prices and ignore the drawbacks.

We fight terrorists by killing a bunch of people, of whom only some are terrorists, and say we are winning the war, and ignore the consequences of killing innocents.

I could go on and on. Want to be better ballplayer? Take steroids. Ignore the long term consequences.
Is the price of gas low this month? Buy a Hummer.
etc, etc.

Seriously, is there any problem we don't choose the short term fix for?

For once you're 100% correct, techs. Unfortunately neither the Republicans or Democrats have any intention of changing short term thinking. Stimulus checks and gas tax holidays are the only answers those two groups of losers can give us.

Until both of those parties are voted out of office, nothing will change. Voting for the lesser evil is still evil.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: BoberFett

Is there any thread you won't throw your temper tantrum's little boy? I think you need to go sit in the corner and think about your behavior.

I'm furiously enraged they are not more progressive and I just can't control my temper. The fing b-tards need to get more pure. I can't vote for the lesser of two evils and rage in the cause of purity is not a vice, it's the wrath of God. Where the hell have you been?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
This is a human problem. I study the west because I live here. I do know that Americans in general are extremely shortsighted on the macro and micro scale. The current marches headstrong toward continued, long-term economic weakness and realiance on foreign energy and on the micro scale the average person has poor finances with little consideratoin for the future a few decades down the line and they live unhealthful lives, quite content to let that heart attack at 63 hit them as it will if they keep living like indolent slobs.
The late Frank Zappa said, "It is not getting any smarter out there, you need to come to terms with stupidity and make it work for you."
Damn, this is a philosophy I have come to myself. Good for him, I like it.