America's godfather

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I read a New York Times article yesterday about the Trump family business. It makes them look like something out of a Mario Puzo novel (he's the guy who wrote The Godfather). Trump is just like an Italian or Sicilian godfather. The relationships that Trump develops with people over long periods of time involving great loyalty are just like the kinds of relationships described by Puzo in The Godfather. Very often these people have little or no expertise when he draws them into his business. He sees something in them, but paramount is that they will be loyal to a fault. Trump's position in the business is exactly like The Godfather. He maintains the central position, has authority on all important decisions, makes sure to personally sign the big checks, etc. etc.

Inside the Trump Organization, the Company That Has Run Trump’s Big World

Last edited:

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
I read a New York Times article yesterday about the Trump family business. It makes them look like something out of a Mario Puzo novel (he's the guy who wrote The Godfather). Trump is just like an Italian or Sicilian godfather. The relationships that Trump develops with people over long periods of time involving great loyalty are just like the kinds of relationships described by Puzo in The Godfather. Very often these people have little or no expertise when he draws them into his business. He sees something in them, but paramount is that they will be loyal to a fault. Trump's position in the business is exactly like The Godfather. He maintains the central position, has authority on all important decisions, makes sure to personally sign the big checks, etc. etc.

Inside the Trump Organization, the Company That Has Run Trump’s Big World

A lot of people prefer this to rule of law because kissing that sphincter ring gets them further than virtue/merit.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
A lot of people prefer this to rule of law because kissing that sphincter ring gets them further than virtue/merit.
But that isn't legitimate 21st century government. It's monarchy or fascism, depending on the flavor of the sphincter, which might depend on the disposition, the mood of His Highness on any particular day.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
But that isn't legitimate 21st century government, it's monarchy.

It seems to me a natural outcome of top-down hierarchies, like corp life. Those with loyalists simply outcompete those outside that mutually agreeable relationship.

Also interesting that we reflect fondly on early advocated of liberal democracy who wrote poetically about freedom & such, who somewhat avoided the more cynical truth that it was freedom from the tyranny of those fellow men.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It seems to me a natural outcome of top-down hierarchies, like corp life. Those with loyalists simply outcompete those outside that mutually agreeable relationship.

Also interesting that we reflect fondly on early advocated of liberal democracy who wrote poetically about freedom & such, who somewhat avoided the more cynical truth that it was freedom from the tyranny of those fellow men.
I continue to be enthralled by those poetic declarations when the country was founded and, of course, the Gettysberg Address. That's not to say I'm a conservative who thinks we should put ourselves in the shoes and wigs of the gentlemen who wrote the constitution every time we need to look at today's legal issues in the mirror of constitutional law. Those guys didn't have the benefit of being informed by future events. Reason has its proper uses. Misused, reason becomes tyranny. Particularly when reason is misinformed or uninformed and motivated by selfish purposes.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
I continue to be enthralled by those poetic declarations when the country was founded and, of course, the Gettysberg Address. That's not to say I'm a conservative who thinks we should put ourselves in the shoes and wigs of the gentlemen who wrote the constitution every time we need to look at today's legal issues in the mirror of constitutional law. Those guys didn't have the benefit of being informed by future events. Reason has its proper uses. Misused, reason becomes tyranny. Particularly when reason is misinformed or uninformed.

Tyranny is rationalized, not reasoned, ie "we're the good guys". Can be difficult to perceived the difference since humans were arguable designed to present our rationalizations as good reason.

Feb 16, 2005
sorry, but a godfather isn't normally a whiny, little bitch, and that's exactly what drumpf is. A thin skinned, whiny little bitch