America's forgotten minority.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: ElFenix
rove and bush courted hispanics for a decade and the republican party shot them in the face for it.

This is the answer.

I've been reading some interesting theories about how Bush's America's Homeownership Challenge was Rove and Bush going after the Hispanic vote, and this is why the RNC machine is desperate to find a way to pin the housing bust on the Dems.

I think the republicans have a real problem on their hands with the hispanic vote. How does one implement tighter border security and immigration policy without losing their vote?

I think if the republicans are to get back into this for the long term they will need to come up with a real plan for this. The current model of doing nothing simply drowns out the republicans by demographics within the next 2 decades.

Do you have any links to studies to support your claims? Such as how registered Hispanic voters feel?

I remember reading many articles and reports regarding disparities in beliefs between American-born and Foreign-born Hispanics. For example, U.S.-born Latinos: No driver's license for illegals. Perhaps they don't lose that many votes because people are not a simplified, unified demographic but a complex one.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
rove and bush courted hispanics for a decade and the republican party shot them in the face for it.

This is the answer.

I've been reading some interesting theories about how Bush's America's Homeownership Challenge was Rove and Bush going after the Hispanic vote, and this is why the RNC machine is desperate to find a way to pin the housing bust on the Dems.

I think the republicans have a real problem on their hands with the hispanic vote. How does one implement tighter border security and immigration policy without losing their vote?

I think if the republicans are to get back into this for the long term they will need to come up with a real plan for this. The current model of doing nothing simply drowns out the republicans by demographics within the next 2 decades.

Do you have any links to studies to support your claims? Such as how registered Hispanic voters feel?

I remember reading many articles and reports regarding disparities in beliefs between American-born and Foreign-born Hispanics. For example, U.S.-born Latinos: No driver's license for illegals. Perhaps they don't lose that many votes because people are not a simplified, unified demographic but a complex one.

Feel about what? Immigration? I have only read articles here and there.

Don Vito posted a link about a month ago with demographics and voter membership by race. Latino's are flocking to democrats 2:1.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Mursilis
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Why do the Hispanics DESERVE any SPECIAL attention?

Because they're the victims of terrible, terrible racism! You're a lifetime Dem - you should know this!

That is exactly why the Republicans are going to have such problems. The outright animosity of Republicans, most of which just don't like the immigrants who don't look like them, nor speak the same language.
Cool, proved my point.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

Feel about what? Immigration? I have only read articles here and there.

Don Vito posted a link about a month ago with demographics and voter membership by race. Latino's are flocking to democrats 2:1.

Yes, immigration of illegals and border security.

Everyone is flocking to the Democrats right now.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005

This is the answer.

you don't have to look too hard just watch a few videos of Frank and party on youtube.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: daniel49

This is the answer.

you don't have to look too hard just watch a few videos of Frank and party on youtube.

And you can get information about Bush's America's Homeownership Challenge right from WhiteHouse.gov

I'm a mortgage professional for 15 years, so you can't play that partisan BS with me. I actually watched it all go down from a front row seat, and didn't just get woke up about it last month.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

This is the answer.

The only thing that's going to happen is the Tom Tancredo wing of the party is going to be dropped and the GOP will slowly absorb the 'blue dog' Democrats. Things remain in balance.

Immigration reform had to happen somewhere between 1993 and 2008. It didn't, and now its not going to.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Because they're the victims of terrible, terrible racism! You're a lifetime Dem - you should know this!

How about because they're a demographic like any other?

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: techs

That is exactly why the Republicans are going to have such problems. The outright animosity of Republicans, most of which just don't like the immigrants who don't look like them, nor speak the same language.
Cool, proved my point.

Asking them to speak English in order to use certain government services doesn't imply that people don't like them.

Go to any European country without speaking their language. See how you're treated.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
First off, I am only talking about legal ones. I thought that would be plain since we were talking about voters.
And Hispanics DO have needs that are related to their group. Just like Jewish, Irish, German, etc immigrant groups had interests that were unique to their new immigrant status.
For one, Hispanics have the same interests as other ethnic groups in that they frequently want to bring their families to America, and therefore they want laws that make it easier.
They want equal justice, just like other immigrant groups. They want free, quality public education, just like other immigrant groups. etc, etc. These things have been traditional Democratic concerns.

Why do they get special attention? Are they more special than immigrants from China, Ireland, Africa?

Why should they get special breaks to make it easier to bring their families here? The laws should be the same for everyone...

Get rid of the ILLEGAL ones and education expenses would plummet in the states that have a high ILLEGAL immigrant population.

ESL classes should be done away with in public schools. Those should be funded by the immigrant community itself, NO by the general public.

Equal justice? There should be NO "special justice" for any group...but, if the immigrants don't want to be treated like criminals, they should help weed out the criminal elements in their communities. Here, everytime there's a police crackdown on gangs, the Hispanic community cries "RACISM" because their communities get special attention. Why? Because their communities are where at least 70% of the gang activity is, and th gangs are made up primarily of Hispanic youth...Profiling? Perhaps, but for obvious reasons.

Ah gee...another one who thinks that DEMOCRAT equals LIBERAL...:roll

Democrat I may be...Liberal I sure ain't...(there IS a difference)

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: winnar111

This is the answer.

The only thing that's going to happen is the Tom Tancredo wing of the party is going to be dropped and the GOP will slowly absorb the 'blue dog' Democrats. Things remain in balance.

Immigration reform had to happen somewhere between 1993 and 2008. It didn't, and now its not going to.

Ah, but after this election just about the only Republicans left in the Senate will be the rabid, right wing, anti-immigrant Senators.
Which is why 2010 and 2012 are looking so good for the Dems.
It takes time for a party to change its stance. Look at how Republicans seem to still think their party is for reduced government spending...

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Cool, proved my point.

Asking them to speak English in order to use certain government services doesn't imply that people don't like them.

Go to any European country without speaking their language. See how you're treated.

Since when did we want to be like any European country?

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

Cool, proved my point.

Since we started talking about government healthcare and worrying about what the UN thought of us?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Cool, proved my point.

Since we started talking about government healthcare and worrying about what the UN thought of us?

So?... this is relevant, how?

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

This is the answer.

Ah, but after this election just about the only Republicans left in the Senate will be the rabid, right wing, anti-immigrant Senators.
Which is why 2010 and 2012 are looking so good for the Dems.
It takes time for a party to change its stance. Look at how Republicans seem to still think their party is for reduced government spending...

Err, what? Amensty McCain is about as pro immigration as anyone; any Republicans you might be referring to are entrenched in places like Idaho and aren't going anywhere.

I have to laugh at you thinking 2010 will be any sort of referendum on the GOP when the Democrats will control everything. Look at how you lefties cried about 'total' control from 2001-2006.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

It's a direct answer to your question, champ. Your hero Obama will be the final conversion of this process.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

Cool, proved my point.

If your point is that you're an idiot, consider it proven. How do you know what I look like, or more importantly, who I "like"? You don't; you just assume. I'll bet my family is a heck of a lot more "diverse" than yours. There's not a major ethnic group in the US that isn't connected to me by blood or marriage.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

Of course there's a difference (or at least their used to be - my parents were *your* kind of Democrats); hence, my sarcasm. Anyway, good luck with all that "deport the illegals" stuff at your local party meetings. That should go over real well.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

It's a direct answer to your question, champ. Your hero Obama will be the final conversion of this process.

A question is a direct answer? More like you just got caught in a contradiction.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Of course there's a difference (or at least their used to be - my parents were *your* kind of Democrats); hence, my sarcasm. Anyway, good luck with all that "deport the illegals" stuff at your local party meetings. That should go over real well.

ROFL! I haven't been to any kind of Democratic Party function since I quit my job as a business agent for my union. (I had never been to one before I took the job either)

My long affiliation with labor unions is probably the main reason I have voted Democrat all my life, even when I haven't always agreed with the policies of the candidates. Voting for a party who has openly voiced their intent to dismantle labor unions seems foolish to me...

A Union Member voting for a Republican is like a chicken voting for Colonel Sanders...

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Well, it's not going well for the Republicans either, which is the topic of this thread.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

ROFL! I haven't been to any kind of Democratic Party function since I quit my job as a business agent for my union. (I had never been to one before I took the job either)

My long affiliation with labor unions is probably the main reason I have voted Democrat all my life, even when I haven't always agreed with the policies of the candidates. Voting for a party who has openly voiced their intent to dismantle labor unions seems foolish to me...

A Union Member voting for a Republican is like a chicken voting for Colonel Sanders...

There are other parties. People really need to shake the self-imposed two party slavery.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

There are other parties. People really need to shake the self-imposed two party slavery.

I couldn't agree more, and now that I'm out of the construction industry, the support of organized labor is less important to me. (even though what's left of my pension is still at risk)

Unfortunately, there are no viable options. None of the other parties espouses ideals that appeal to me any more than the mainstream Democrats do. (I'm greatly at odds with the ultra-left liberals in the party)
I like much of what the Populist Party says, but a vote for them would be like not voting at all...

I've looked at the Libertarian Party, and they don't do anything for me...

OFFascist

Jun 10, 2002
I'm Mexican-American. I'm not voting for Obama.

I think alot of poorer Blacks in America whine too much and always want the government to help them. Instead they should be helping themselves and/or working with family members to help each other. IMO there is too much emotional baggage amongst them.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

I couldn't agree more, and now that I'm out of the construction industry, the support of organized labor is less important to me. (even though what's left of my pension is still at risk)

Unfortunately, there are no viable options. None of the other parties espouses ideals that appeal to me any more than the mainstream Democrats do. (I'm greatly at odds with the ultra-left liberals in the party)
I like much of what the Populist Party says, but a vote for them would be like not voting at all...

I've looked at the Libertarian Party, and they don't do anything for me...

Whatever happened to Perot's Reform Party? I guess they completely flamed out. Too bad - they were the closest thing I've seen to a viable, sustainable third party. Regardless, at this stage of the game, it doesn't really matter what third party you choose; any vote for a party outside the Big 2 sends a warning shot to the Ds and Rs that people are fed up with them and looking elsewhere. I have nothing in common with Nader, but I'd still vote for him before I voted for McCain or Obama, just as a protest vote.