America's forgotten minority.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Can someone point me to polls that breakdown the race by, well, race?
Hispanics were considered to be hostile to African Americans before the race started, but I just heard that they have been breaking overwhelmingly for Obama.

I wonder if the overt racism of the Republicans this year will push many Hispanics over to the Dems for quite awhile? I think many Hispanics must be shocked at what's been happening.
And with Hispanics the fastest growing minority, I am surprised that we don't hear almost ANYTHING about them this year.

Could the Republicans be committing future suicide by their tactics this year?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
rove and bush courted hispanics for a decade and the republican party shot them in the face for it.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Maybe you missed it, but as far as racism, they are Repubs and Dems are about equal on this one.

Gallup.
You're link equals the fail.

Anyone got a link at how Hispanics are polling this year?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: techs
Maybe you missed it, but as far as racism, they are Repubs and Dems are about equal on this one.

Gallup.

Well, thats a good enough rebuttal for me! I stand corrected.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Gallup.

Anyone got a link at how Hispanics are polling this year?

Your rebuttal equals the fail. It answers the question.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

Gallup.

Yeah, I ask if anyone has a link as to how Hispanics are polling and you show me a poll that asks non-whites if they are racist when they vote?
Who the f*ck would say they vote racist?
And you clearly don't understand that both African Americans and Hispanics are considered non-white.
So I appreciate you trying, but its like you were asked what type of apple is best and you said sneakers.

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004

Gallup.

Yeah, I ask if anyone has a link as to how Hispanics are polling and you show me a poll that asks non-whites if they are racist when they vote?
And you clearly don't understand that both African Americans and Hispanics are considered non-white.
So I appreciate you trying, but its like you were asked what type of apple is best and you said sneakers.

it's not your argument, just your use of contractions. reminds me of hiromizu here.:laugh:

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

I wish it had gone back further (as it only goes back to about the Repub. convention), but Obama is approaching a 2/3 to 1/3 superiority over McCain among Hispanics.
Thats ASTOUNDING. When the rapid growth of the Hispanic population is considered, that could very well add a couple of percentage points swing 4 years from now and 3-6 point swing in 2016 towards the Dems, if this shows long term party loyalty.

thanks for the links, bamacre

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
rove and bush courted hispanics for a decade and the republican party shot them in the face for it.

This is the answer.

I've been reading some interesting theories about how Bush's America's Homeownership Challenge was Rove and Bush going after the Hispanic vote, and this is why the RNC machine is desperate to find a way to pin the housing bust on the Dems.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Can someone point me to polls that breakdown the race by, well, race?
Hispanics were considered to be hostile to African Americans before the race started, but I just heard that they have been breaking overwhelmingly for Obama.

I wonder if the overt racism of the Republicans this year will push many Hispanics over to the Dems for quite awhile? I think many Hispanics must be shocked at what's been happening.
And with Hispanics the fastest growing minority, I am surprised that we don't hear almost ANYTHING about them this year.

Could the Republicans be committing future suicide by their tactics this year?

I don't know about that. The Dems have been promising to lift the black segment of our population out of poverty for 50 years. Last census shows from 25% to 49% still in poverty levels depending upon marital status. This overt racism on the part of the dems hasn't driven away the black vote.:Q

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Hispanics are too smart for that. They are more for earning their way up society rather than taking what politicians "spread the wealth."

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
I doubt it. Most of the accusations of racism are stupid and made up for political points. People are just following their worshiped political party.

I remember when Rice was selected for Secretary of State. Many people were accused of racism by the Republicans. Now these people are dismissing anything towards Obama. And the people who dismissed everything against Rice are now screaming racism in favor of Obama. People on this forum are perfect examples of this.

Clinton supporters on this forum were in a similar position. Now some who support Obama switched roles from dismissing to constantly attributing.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: rdubbz420

Gallup.

it's not your argument, just your use of contractions. reminds me of hiromizu here.:laugh:

I love how it flies right over his head.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
I doubt it. Most of the accusations of racism are stupid and made up for political points. People are just following their worshiped political party.

I remember when Rice was selected for Secretary of State. Many people were accused of racism by the Republicans. Now these people are dismissing anything towards Obama. And the people who dismissed everything against Rice are now screaming racism in favor of Obama. People on this forum are perfect examples of this.
For once I agree with you.

The racism thing is totally out of control.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Vic

This is the answer.

I've been reading some interesting theories about how Bush's America's Homeownership Challenge was Rove and Bush going after the Hispanic vote, and this is why the RNC machine is desperate to find a way to pin the housing bust on the Dems.

I think the republicans have a real problem on their hands with the hispanic vote. How does one implement tighter border security and immigration policy without losing their vote?

I think if the republicans are to get back into this for the long term they will need to come up with a real plan for this. The current model of doing nothing simply drowns out the republicans by demographics within the next 2 decades.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: Vic

This is the answer.

I think the republicans have a real problem on their hands with the hispanic vote. How does one implement tighter border security and immigration policy without losing their vote?

I think if the republicans are to get back into this for the long term they will need to come up with a real plan for this. The current model of doing nothing simply drowns out the republicans by demographics within the next 2 decades.

Yes, exactly my point. The demographics are very much in favor of the Dems at this point, and the Republicans need to do something over the next 8 years, I think.
Perhaps what is really striking is the lack of attention Hispanics are getting as group this election.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Why do the Hispanics DESERVE any SPECIAL attention? If they're American citizens, they're deserving of the same kind of attention the rest of us get.

If they're LEGAL immigrants, they're not deserving of any special attention other than to be sure they're treated fairly.

If they're ILLEGAL immigrants, the only special attention they deserve is to be deported immediately.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Why do the Hispanics DESERVE any SPECIAL attention? If they're American citizens, they're deserving of the same kind of attention the rest of us get.

If they're LEGAL immigrants, they're not deserving of any special attention other than to be sure they're treated fairly.

If they're ILLEGAL immigrants, the only special attention they deserve is to be deported immediately.

First off, I am only talking about legal ones. I thought that would be plain since we were talking about voters.
And Hispanics DO have needs that are related to their group. Just like Jewish, Irish, German, etc immigrant groups had interests that were unique to their new immigrant status.
For one, Hispanics have the same interests as other ethnic groups in that they frequently want to bring their families to America, and therefore they want laws that make it easier.
They want equal justice, just like other immigrant groups. They want free, quality public education, just like other immigrant groups. etc, etc. These things have been traditional Democratic concerns.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Why do the Hispanics DESERVE any SPECIAL attention?

Because they're the victims of terrible, terrible racism! You're a lifetime Dem - you should know this!