American Truck Simulator

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 19, 2009
I'll wait for someone to make a real truck simulator, with real to scale highways, cities.. would be epic, 6 hours to the next pitstop and a toilet break!!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The merging is a big issue. The on ramp dumps you directly on the interstate. Every interstate has a merging lane that goes on for at least 800ft or so. Not in this.

However, I'm having a good time so far. Finally got two other drivers working for me and I got a much better semi. It is no longer a dog that can barely get to the speed limit.

Ya. I always figured in Euro Truck they didn't make authentic On/Off ramps either.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Ya. I always figured in Euro Truck they didn't make authentic On/Off ramps either.

The inside lane always exited, and then on the other side of the overpass or whatever the lane would be re-added in the merge. I hated it, for obvious reasons. It always struck me as a technical limitation, i.e. that it made routing easier or something, but that's just a guess. It's better in ATS but they still need longer merge lanes. I mean, it's tough to get the scale right.

microAmp

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2000
Is there any info out there for differences between the 10 gear, 13 and 18 gear setup? My google-fu isn't working well.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The inside lane always exited, and then on the other side of the overpass or whatever the lane would be re-added in the merge. I hated it, for obvious reasons. It always struck me as a technical limitation, i.e. that it made routing easier or something, but that's just a guess. It's better in ATS but they still need longer merge lanes. I mean, it's tough to get the scale right.

What I disliked the most was how narrow some Onramps were. It's like threading a needle. Learned pretty quick not to worry about taking out signs or using the shoulder to merge.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
We're big fans of ETS2 in this house... got the wheel controllers ready for this one! Glad to hear some positive reviews here as well! :D

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Euro Truck Sim 2 was pretty good actually, I don't normally like these kind of Sim games but i found it strangely relaxing to do these long haul drives carefully but without having to concentrait too hard. I ended up watching all the 24 episodes all the way through on one monitor while driving on the other and racked up a lot of hours in the game. I'll be in for this when the price drops.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Or maybe that was a small town speed trap :).

I know there are plans for another state as a free upgrade, and I would hope they add additional truck models too.

Anyway, picked it up today so I will be checking it out for myself tonight. Need a break from Fallout.

LOL! I see these IRL all the time around town. :)

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Is there any info out there for differences between the 10 gear, 13 and 18 gear setup? My google-fu isn't working well.

More gears = more shifting. Helps keep you in the ideal RPM for efficiency.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I am so happy they made this. The 18 Wheels of Steel series is one of my favorite series of games.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I played a couple of hours the other night, and I think they did a really nice job. I love the slightly wider, more open roads. The graphics are a big improvement and not just in terms of polygon density or texture size. They just chose more realistic textures than ETS2. I love that there are actual exit lanes, even though they seem barely longer than my truck. For some reason I am not digging the sound. My hearing isn't what it used to be, but it seems to me the engine noise is rather muted and I am not getting the feedback on RPM that I would like. It also feels like the steering is slightly twitchier but I may not have the mouse dialed in.

One thing I miss, or have missed in the UI, is how to get that outside, looking back over the cab view from ETS2 that was so useful when backing a trailer.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
The sounds aren't the best, but I've seen people linking to sound mods that are supposed to be great. I've had a hard time finding the right camera for backing up, I usually have to switch between quite a few to get the angle I need throughout a back up session. I try not to use the bird's eye because that is cheating :)

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
Been playing this off and on since Saturday with a lot of frustration. Drive control on the Xbox 360 controller really is hard. I finally completed a Vegas to LA run.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Been playing this off and on since Saturday with a lot of frustration. Drive control on the Xbox 360 controller really is hard. I finally completed a Vegas to LA run.

Try using keyboard. I have a G27, but most of my ET2 play was with keyboard and it worked very well.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I use a G27 with TrackIR. I don't think the game would keep my attention for long without playing with a wheel. Rowing through the gears and feeling the wheel stutter when the engine goes under-load is the best part of the game :)

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
You guys drive a semi truck for hours along the freeway?

If you enjoy driving at all, it's a strangely satisfying experience that's different from any race or battle. Manually backing a trailer into its parking stall takes skill and and gives a real "ahh - job's done" feeling of reward. I'm going to have to buy a couple copies the first time it goes on sale.