American flag banned in Iraq?

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
This disturbs me. The order has gone out to our troops that there will not be the display of the stars and bars on any statue, flag pole, building, vehicle, anything! The American flag cannot be displayed in this country.

To me, that is over the top. Our soldiers liberated those people from Saddam, and from what I can see, they are damn happy about it. I believe they are grateful and know that we are not there to occupy their country, but to help them make the changes necessary to become a good neighbor in the world community. Some airhead general capitualting to pressure from some freakin' buarocrat has now sent the message to our brave miltary that they must stand down display of our Flag in Iraq.

That is pure crap. I am proud of the job they have done. They deserve the right to show who they are.

Americans!

:disgust:

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Tripleshot
This disturbs me. The order has gone out to our troops that there will not be the display of the stars and bars on any statue, flag pole, building, vehicle, anything! The American flag cannot be displayed in this country.

To me, that is over the top. Our soldiers liberated those people from Saddam, and from what I can see, they are damn happy about it. I believe they are grateful and know that we are not there t ooccupy their country, but to help them make the changes neccesary to become a good neighbor in the world community. Some airhead general capitualting to pressure from some freakin buarocrat has now sent the message to our brave miltary thatthey must stand down display of our Flag in Iraq.

That is pure crap. I am proud of the job they have done. They deserve the right to show who they are.

Americans!

:disgust:

I agree, it should be proudly displayed on our vehicles. I have no problem with our flag flying with the Iraq flag.

Tates

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2000
The rationale behind the order is to avoid the impression that we are a conquering army vs. a liberating army.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Seeing that flag raised in ON ARAB SOIL fuels EVERY Terrorist and even Terrorist Wannabes...

We are not there to own-occupy Iraq....

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
I believe they are grateful and know that we are not there t ooccupy their country
Bold assumption. Besides, it's not just the Iraqis we should be concerned with. The whole Arab world will be watching everything we do there.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Tates
The rationale behind the order is to avoid the impression that we are a conquering army vs. a liberating army.

Its a bull crap knee jerk response. The Iraqi people have been told on their radio, TV and pamphlets dropped by our Air power that we are not their to "Occupy" Iraq. They know the score. Watch the news. They are kissing the american flag. Iraqi people know they need US help. We are there to assist them and help rebuild Iraq. I want my flag proudly displayed during that process.

Screw political correctness. :|

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Originally posted by: sward666
I believe they are grateful and know that we are not there t ooccupy their country
Bold assumption. Besides, it's not just the Iraqis we should be concerned with. The whole Arab world will be watching everything we do there.

Let them watch. I want them to see who is there. I want them to remember who is there and why. Having an order like this is crap, and you know it.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
al (qaeda)-jazeera HAD A FIELD DAY with the latest raising of the flag... :(

They were showing it on TV every 10 minutes OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND..........................................................................................................

HappyGamer2

Banned
Jun 12, 2000
many arabs (goverment and common people) have a fear that we will take over all there countries, who is next? is in there mind set. part of the reason they feel this way is becuase for the last how many years (200 , 300 , 400?) the west has come and conquered and left only to return again etc

I think it is a bad idea to hanging our flag on there flag poles and buildings etc, but we should be able to put them on are trucks/tanks etc

example: "We believe that Syria, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries are dream targets for certain neo-conservative intellectuals here in the United States that are strong allies of the extremist Likudist and Sharonist factions in Israel," he said

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
>>>>I think it is a bad idea to hanging our flag on there flag poles and buildings etc, but we should be able to put them on are trucks/tanks etc <<<<<

That makes perfect sense, but that is not what they did. The american flag insignia has to be removed from vehicles, APC's, tanks, uniforms.

I want somebody's head to roll for this order. This is over the top. Let's see Arie Flescher spin this one.:disgust:

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
>>>>The american flag insignia has to be removed from vehicles, APC's, tanks, uniforms.

What the hell?

OK.. Now that is complete Bullsh!t and I am with you hoping that heads roll and bounce and roll and bounce..

NEVER take away a soldiers pride. dirty bastards... little sissy punks.. who called for this to happen?

BaDaBooM

Golden Member
May 3, 2000
Ok, I get the not putting it on flagpoles and buildings. But I see no reason why they couldn't put it on their vehicle or wave it. Tripleshot is right, it just a knee-jerk response. If they thought about it at all, they should put the American flag on themselves and then the Pre-Saddam flag on anything in the country.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Tates

Its a bull crap knee jerk response. The Iraqi people have been told on their radio, TV and pamphlets dropped by our Air power that we are not their to "Occupy" Iraq. They know the score. Watch the news.

Actions speak louder than words. Of course we say we're not conquerors? The issue is do we act like conquerors. By intentionally refraining from displaying our flag, we show that we are noble enough to respect the dignity of the Iraqi people even if it is a minor slight to us. We're big boys, we can take it. It's worth it if it helps make this transition easier.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: BaDaBooM
Ok, I get the not putting it on flagpoles and buildings. But I see no reason why they couldn't put it on their vehicle or wave it. Tripleshot is right, it just a knee-jerk response. If they thought about it at all, they should put the American flag on themselves and then the Pre-Saddam flag on anything in the country.

I agree, and I also believe it should be ok to fly the pre-Saddam flag along with the American flag in some locations, as a show of solidarity. As they say, Political Correctness != common sense.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Just wait till they become the 51st state. Then they can fly the flag till their hearts content.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: BaDaBooM

If I remember right, this rule was imposed before the war, while we were still massing our forces in Kuwait. From the beginning, the Pentagon wanted to make it clear that we were not there as conquerors. It caused an uproar amongst some of our troops.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
I don't see a problem with them putting the flags on their uniforms (on the side of their arm), but it has no place on buildings, statues, flagpoles etc.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Maybe our troops should hand the flags over to the Iraqis and see if they are interested in flying it?

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
I'm as proud a soldier as they come and I love our Stars and Stripes as much as anyone, but I think this truly is in our best interests. Now, I DO NOT agree with having our troops remove it from their uniforms, however. I think they should also be able to display it on our vehicles, but I think in this instance, considering the circumstances and the climate of the Middle East right now, I think it's questionable for our troops to place our flag on Iraqi property. If the Iraqi people want a flag to fly on their own accord, by all means, we should provide them with one, but to plant our own flag all over Iraq does symbolize to me that we are a conquering nation, not a liberating one. Besides, our boys will have more Stars and Stripes than they can handle when they come home from this engagement anyway. Let them see some war protesting puke burn a flag publicly when they come home. It's all symantics gentlemen.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Wher did you get the uniform part from? I'm looking at two NY Times articles and they don't say anything about uniforms. From one:
Today, the Army, seeking to demonstrate that its troops in Iraq are liberators and not conquerors, barred any display of the American flag on vehicles, buildings, statues and command posts.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Oh man, Rogue, this place is full of Republican politically correct Hippies. Whatever happened to good old shove it in your face Americanism. This is pathetic.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Today, the Army, seeking to demonstrate that its troops in Iraq are liberators and not conquerors, barred any display of the American flag on vehicles, buildings, statues and command posts.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
They should fly the Jolly Roger instead I guess. Geez!