American Democracy Will Die in 100 Days

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Not long ago, I would have written this off as hysteria.

Not anymore. Not at all. I sense it coming and if we don't do something, this will be it for the United States we knew.

American Democracy Will Die in 100 Days
…Unless Americans Start Understanding How to Fight Nazism — Now

Americans being abducted off the streets. A mayor being attacked with chemical agents. Secret Police, otherwise known as “Homeland Security,” occupying cities. And an aspiring dictator behind it all. Here’s a bitter truth, made of five smaller ones. America now has 100 days to save its democracy.

Even if, at this late juncture, Americans begin to fight for their democracy, there’s no guarantee of success. Nonetheless. This upcoming election is America’s last chance.

To those of us who lived through authoritarian collapses — and survived them — what’s going to happen in America over the next six months is as simple as it is predictable. That’s not to be a know-it-all blowhard. It’s to warn you.

Fact one. Trump is going to try to steal the election. If this were any other President, I myself would dismiss such an idea as crackpot conspiratorialism. But Trumps not any other President. He’s a man who’s checked every item off the list of Nazi politics, from camps to bans to raids to purges. He’s announced proudly that he doesn’t believe in democracy, or the Constitution, and wants to keep power for as long as he can.

When authoritarians tell you what they are going to do, believe them. They’re like mafiosi: they have to follow through on their threats or they lose all credibility. So when Trump says he’s not going to accede to a peaceful transfer of power, believe him. Americans have spent too long playing dumb, not believing Trump at any stage of collapse so far, from camps to bans to purges — and now it’s almost too late.

Fact two. Trump is still within striking distance of being able to steal the election. Don’t count him out yet, just because he’s sunk a little in the polls. He’s still got an Army of American Idiots behind him — about 40% or so of Americans. That number, it seems, is a hard floor — it doesn’t budge, no matter what. The whys and wherefores — these are mentally broken people regressed to infantile psychologies, who regard Trump as an unconscious omnipotent father figure — are now irrelevant. What is relevant is that thanks to the vagaries of America’s electoral college, Trump can still squeeze out a narrow victory, especially with a little help from Zuck and the Kremlin. Or a narrow enough loss that it can be contested to high heaven — and then turned into a victory thanks to a stacked Supreme Court and a supine Senate.

Don’t count Trump out.

Fact three. This is how authoritarians steal elections: with creeping martial law. Those storm troopers on Portland’s streets, abducting people, beating moms, gassing the mayor? That’s exactly — exactly — how authoritarians institute martial law. Not like in the movies — suddenly. But slowly, one step at a time. One city, town, set of shock troops at a time. Their power are expanded. Your rights are eroded. And before anyone knows it — you’re living in a police state, a place where people feel afraid to express themselves, organize, protest, dissent, vote.

Trump is instituting martial law right before a crucial election that will decide the fate of democracy in America for at least a generation. Probably longer. That’s not a coincidence. It’s a culmination. Of what? Of Trump’s Nazi politics. Camps, bans, raids, purges, institutionalized hate, paramilitaries and secret police — all that’s a pattern. What does it culminate in? The next step of the sequence of implosion. The final seizure of power.

That is what this pattern has been leading up to for four solid years now. It’s what those of us who’ve lived through authoritarian collapses have been trying to warn you of — and failing, because we’ve been dismissed as “alarmists” by mainstream pundits. But by now, I’d bet, you’re pretty goddamned alarmed. You should be, because this is all very real. Those of us who know know because we’ve lived it, and what we know is that collapse proceeds according to a predictable and time-honored pattern. In America, it couldn’t have been any clearer, which is why us survivors of authoritarianism have been trying to warn you as loudly as we can — even if it cost us personally.

That brings me to fact four.

Fact four. Americans have been in denial about what Trumpism really is. What kind of people build…actual concentration camps? Put kids in them? Rip them from their mothers? Set up Gestapos to hunt them in the streets?

There’s only one word for such people. Nazis. That’s one of history’s great lessons — and Americans are the world’s laughingstocks at this point because they’re the only people left in the world who don’t get that this is Nazism reborn. The only people. Like I say, every single person I know asks me why Americans don’t get it every single day now. I’m not exaggerating when I say that. What the? By now, you can see openly and in shocking, weird, and frightening ways that Trumpists really are Nazis. For example, they call slavery a “necessary evil.” For example, they wear swastika masks to Walmart. For example, their Gestapo destroys medical supplies during a pandemic — which is a literal war crime.

Trumpism is American Nazism. Maybe not all Trumpists think of themselves that way — but so what? If you’re happy with Gestapos beating moms and gassing mayors, and kids in concentration camps, guess what…you’re a Nazi. The good American — the non-Trumpist, the one who still believes in democracy and freedom — now has just 100 days to emerge from their foxholes of denial, and begin acting like they finally get that this is America’s final showdown with American Nazism.

If Americans really understood that — and they don’t — what would they do?

That brings me to my fifth fact. Americans aren’t fighting authoritarianism yet — not the way it needs to be fought. And that is a consequence of four long, terrible, painful years of denial.

Look, in any sane nation, Trump would not be the head of state anymore. If Justin Trudeau had gassed mayors…he’d have had to resign tomorrow. If Emanuel Macron had let 150,000 people die of Covid — he’d have been thrown out of office swiftly. If Angela Merkel had ripped kids from their parents and put them in concentration camps, she’d have been tried in German courts for fascism.

People would have lined the streets of Paris, Berlin, and Toronto, day after day — until these leaders resigned.

If Americans really understood that this was their final showdown with Nazism — they’d demand scalps. That Trump resign. That all his white supremacist advisors be thrown out of office — and never find work or friends in society again. They’d line the streets of every major American city. There would be a mass movement calling for the end of American Nazism — politically, culturally, and socially. Millions would park themselves in front of the White House, and not leave until the job was done.

There are stirrings of that, in protest growing across the nation. But so far, they aren’t calling for Trump to resign. What the? Why not? But that’s the point.

The best way to defeat Trump in the upcoming election is to checkmate him — not to have him in one.

That’s how you play this game — because it’s the precise opposite of what he wants, after all. What does he really want? Not to have an election at all, or to postpone it. Maybe Covid will be the pretext. Or maybe it’s the way he’s amping up tensions with China. Maybe it will just be “law and order.” Would you be surprised if Trump tried to cancel the election? Of course not. Nobody sane would be. He’s said he doesn’t want one, more or less, over and over again. That’s how authoritarians usually make their final seizure of power — they don’t win elections, they steal them, thwart them, or destroy them.

Trump is trying to checkmate American democracy. Why else is he sending storm troopers nationwide just before a crucial election? So that — if he can get away with it — there isn’t one, and if he can’t get away with that, so he can terrorize people into not voting.

What’s the best way to deal with that? One way is to encourage people to vote and so forth — to mobilize. But that’s a weak strategy at best, because Trump holds all the cards. He’s the one with the storm troopers and the terror tactics.

The best strategy Americans have right now is to make it impossible for Trump to contest the next election at all, by calling for his resignation — now. That should have happened long ago. Like I said, no other rich nation, and not even most poor ones, would have tolerated what Trump’s gotten away with to date, and I don’t mean the small abuses of power, like bribery and playing golf while the nation burns, I mean the big ones, like camps, Gestapos, storm troopers, and mass death.

“How is this lunatic still in power?!,” the entire world asks, baffled. “Why don’t Americans remove him?” What the world doesn’t understand about Americans is that they’ve been abused by their leaders so long they’ve forgotten how to take power back from failed elites. You don’t have to wait for an election that’s going to be rigged, manipulated, terrorized, and hijacked. You can demand a failed President resign now.

Maybe I’m being optimistic. Still, don’t imagine that I’m telling Americans what to do. Rather, I’m pointing out what a saner nation would have already done. And I’m pointing out the best way to save a democracy that’s in deep, deep peril.

If Americans don’t begin calling for Trump to resign, in a powerful mass movement, then the next six months, after all, are eminently predictable. Those storm troopers being abducting people and beating moms and gassing mayors across the nation. Opponents and critics and dissidents begin getting disappeared to God-knows-where, under the pretext of “homeland security.” Meanwhile, Trump’s buddies in the Kremlin flood social media with disinformation — while Zuck grins and checks his bank account. The Trumpists — the American Nazis — simmer with rage, anticipating the sweet taste of total power.

In the lead-up to election day, the nation’s on fire. Beatings and disappearances and abductions and gassings are now everyday events. Nobody knows what to do, and an atmosphere of frustration, bewilderment, and anger reign. Trump’s tricks have worked. People have been terrorized. Trumpists join storm troopers in intimidating and frightening everyone else. It’s open season, and “law and order” now means the right to abuse and terrorize anyone who’s not part of America’s Nazi movement.

America’s spirit has been broken.

And when election day finally comes, Trump knows his storm troopers, his propagandists, his Idiot Army — all that can eke out enough of a margin for him to steal the election, if not win it outright.

Bang! And then there is no more American democracy for a generation. Trump is America’s Saddam, it’s Gaddafi, and after him come a long retinue of kids and advisors, even more demented and bloodthirsty than him.

That’s how it works.

That’s what us survivors of authoritarian collapse have to warn you of. If any of that sounds outlandish, to you, still, then let me ask you. Did you think, five years ago, that America would be here? That Donald Trump would be sending his…shock troops…to gas American mayors…while mass death surged? What the?

Your rational side is not your ally right now, because you haven’t lived through this. It’s not helping you to overthink what’s about to happen — because Trump and his army of American Nazis aren’t exactly logical. Your rational side has underestimated American Nazism over the last four years for exactly that reason. But there is no more room for mistakes now.

Those of us who’ve survived all this before — we are trying to share our experience with you. Because we need to, because it’s what decent and sane people must do. And that experience can be summed up in three short principles. It’s always worse — much worse — than your rational side thinks. It’s always as bad as — or worse than — your worst, hidden fears. And when you put those two things together, the only conclusion is: you’d better act like this is your last chance to remain a functioning and free society.

Because it is.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Whats really funny is 4 years ago I would have believed this. I saw what kind asshole Donald was back then and I knew it was all gonna be shit.
I did not know it would be lit off with a deadly global virus, but I knew it was gonna happen somehow.

Feb 4, 2009
Calm down guys.
Step One:
Show up and vote
Step Two:
Win
Step Three:
Don’t do anything until steps One & Two are completed.

However it would be funny if hundreds of thousand of liberals started buying guns since we know our current militias are inept.

Nov 8, 2012
WE HAVE TO KILL THE NAZIS!!!

The Nazis are ANYONE other than people that VOTE FOR WHAT WE WANT!

lol. Who are the real Nazis here? Just like fighting fascism with declaring anyone who disagrees with you to be a Nazi. How ironic. The intelligence level of anyone who reads this babbling bullshit type of messaging is incredibly subpar.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
What a load of projectile shit. This reads like something some 300 lb greasy incel, who still lives with his mom at 30 YO would write. Holy fucking paranoia! OMG, sad if not so funny!

Thats the same dude that hacked Hildas butter mails!!!!

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
WE HAVE TO KILL THE NAZIS!!!

The Nazis are ANYONE other than people that VOTE FOR WHAT WE WANT!

lol. Who are the real Nazis here? Just like fighting fascism with declaring anyone who disagrees with you to be a Nazi. How ironic. The intelligence level of anyone who reads this babbling bullshit type of messaging is incredibly subpar.
There you go again shit-for-brains, screaming at the mirror.

Repetitive, stand-alone personal attacks cross the line of what we allow.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jman19

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Clutch your pearls, wring your hands, stand near your fainting couch as you feel the vapors coming on.

This is how it will go down. There will be an election, Trump will most likely loose, he'll make all sorts of claims about fraud and rigged elections, then come inauguration day, he'll leave. He'll then spend the rest of his life telling the world how his presidency was the greatest ever, and Joe will wander the white house smelling women's hair.
All will be right with the world.

Edit: Dumb typo.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Lol the conservative sympathizers posting here are pretty funny. Longing for the days of tans suits and fancy mustard to rage at, can't give two shots about a lifelong grifter, liar, and narcissist pandering to white nationalist voters. All over an op Ed from an unknown site

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
This text is written by someone who can't even wikipedia Nazi Germany and Adolf Hitler. A rather glaring exploit(yes, this is a geek forum, so it makes sense to use such language) in the laws coded essentially gave an open door to someone like Hitler to essentially end the republic it once was. The American system, ironically in direct response to FDR being the closest to actually being like a dictator, has a hard-coded protection since the 50s to make sure Presidents only have 2 terms. That Amendment to the Constitution was ironically spearheaded by the Republicans of yore.

Trump barely won the states that used to be blue the last time. Why don't the Democrats get back to good ol' economic welfare and pro-labor "traditional" Marxism? The embarrassment is how Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin turned on Hillary because of her pro-Wall Sreet corrupt image. Trump is no thief. But he's a joke who is showing that no one in Washington really cares about the lower classes except when absolutely necessary.

Also is ignorant of the nature of the very country he lives in. There are....50 sovereign states managing the DAY-TO-DAY affairs that are affecting YOU the most.

Trump is merely paving the way for future Presidents to expand their power even more, but it is not unique to him. It's just that Obama and Bush and all the predecessors had "political doublespeak" to de-emotionalize the expansion of powers and make it boring news.

Facism is merely a road to domineering statism that worked because it had scientific credibility to "pop intellectuals". Back then, Darwin's discoveries led to abstraction from the scientific observations that leaked in politics. Neither side of the American populace really cares about anti-statisim. Never do they think, "though this law/action benefits me, I'd rather not have it because in the future, other laws based on the same justification might curb rights".

• Love
Reactions: HurleyBird

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This text is written by someone who can't even wikipedia Nazi Germany and Adolf Hitler. A rather glaring exploit(yes, this is a geek forum, so it makes sense to use such language) in the laws coded essentially gave an open door to someone like Hitler to essentially end the republic it once was. The American system, ironically in direct response to FDR being the closest to actually being like a dictator, has a hard-coded protection since the 50s to make sure Presidents only have 2 terms. That Amendment to the Constitution was ironically spearheaded by the Republicans of yore.

Trump barely won the states that used to be blue the last time. Why don't the Democrats get back to good ol' economic welfare and pro-labor "traditional" Marxism? The embarrassment is how Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin turned on Hillary because of her pro-Wall Sreet corrupt image. Trump is no thief. But he's a joke who is showing that no one in Washington really cares about the lower classes except when absolutely necessary.

Also is ignorant of the nature of the very country he lives in. There are....50 sovereign states managing the DAY-TO-DAY affairs that are affecting YOU the most.

Trump is merely paving the way for future Presidents to expand their power even more, but it is not unique to him. It's just that Obama and Bush and all the predecessors had "political doublespeak" to de-emotionalize the expansion of powers and make it boring news.

Facism is merely a road to domineering statism that worked because it had scientific credibility to "pop intellectuals". Back then, Darwin's discoveries led to abstraction from the scientific observations that leaked in politics. Neither side of the American populace really cares about anti-statisim. Never do they think, "though this law/action benefits me, I'd rather not have it because in the future, other laws based on the same justification might curb rights".

Normalize Trump with bothsiderism? Gawd. He's a malevolent narcissist with a cult of personality. He'd make himself King if he could. Like you, I don't think he will, but he'll do his damnedest.

Reactions: FaaR

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
What a load of projectile shit. This reads like something some 300 lb greasy incel, who still lives with his mom at 30 YO would write. Holy fucking paranoia! OMG, sad if not so funny!
Incels are republicans, your math checks out not.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Normalize Trump with bothsiderism? Gawd. He's a malevolent narcissist with a cult of personality. He'd make himself King if he could. Like you, I don't think he will, but he'll do his damnedest.
Only fools follow any sides of politics, which is as close "legitimate" pseudo-intellectualism, far distanced from reality, as a domain can get. I don't think understood a single thing I said because those stuck in a "political war" can't evaluate things at face value before politicizing it.

Responses like yours show that Americans don't know jack about the odd peculiarities of "monarchy" from plain dictatorships. After all, even their British ancestors never truly experienced the direct monarchies of France and other places in Europe. The monarchy they were rebelling against could never pull a Stalin or Kim-Jong Un since the aristocracy will find a way to kill him and take the throne for himself.
To establish a hereditary line is hard enough. To convince 50 states accept it, included the isolated Alaska and Hawaii is a pure fantasy.

Trump is no grand ruler with might. He is an easy to spot puppet who has quite a few masters to please, including those stuck in the "red vs. blue" paradigm refuse to see, such as the Clintons. The real tyrants don't show their cards like that. Since when has it ever been done in history that a grand ruler ever has been spoken of that "oh, he's a narcsissit, so that's why he conquered". Not Caesar, not Genghis Khan, not Suleman, Hitler, Louis XIV.

But what Trump has a talent for...is complete mastery of the press. The message he sent does have validity, even though it is clear that he is never going to deliver on it and never had anything in store to really make it happen. The way he delivers his lines has the unique ability of triggering both his supporters and his antagonists into not realizing what the actual endgame is for him, or more accurately, his masters and friends. The expansion of the powers of the state are the real threat, and both parties are onboard with it. The police are enabled through the conservatives by consent, and by the Democrats by the laws expanding the government and curtailing the right to arms. Indeed, the future Democratic president and BLM folks aiming for the top will enjoy the fact that Trump paved the way for them.

The common Trump way of doing politics is basically giving both himself and his enemy lots of press cred without doing a lick for either his supporters or the "enemy" he is attacking. The entire exchange between him and the late Elijah Cummings did nothing for the condition of Baltimore, but it made all sides involved have their minutes in the press to look good. Indeed, he should have targeted Baltimore's mayor at the time and not Cummings, since members of Congress do not manage their districts' affairs directly. Nothing of substance was achieved, but political points were scored by all parties involved.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Yeh- McGill University, London school of business, Oxford, Harvard business review blog, author & consultant. What a dummy.

It's clear he never studied or had any experience with law. And he would be talentless in the subject of law or politics even if he knew it. Unlike Ghandi, who actually lawyered the world and no one realized that he did so.
Let's see...started in neuroscience
Got an MBA. I wonder if he ever dealt with internal corporate politics...and how power can work in such a structure.

He certainly doesn't understand the nature of the "state". But both Britain and the USA are relatively non-intverentionist states these days, and many British cops don't even have guns. So of course he doesn't understand the full unbridled liberties a totalitarian regime can employ if the head of state or other government bodies so desires, such as murdering targets at will. Confiscation at will, and even government seizure ownership of property and then collection of rent on what used to be "your land"(this is for the communist regimes). Imprisonment doesn't even need a warrant process. Just a neighbor snitching is enough to get watched and detained.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Only fools follow any sides of politics, which is as close "legitimate" pseudo-intellectualism, far distanced from reality, as a domain can get. I don't think understood a single thing I said because those stuck in a "political war" can't evaluate things at face value before politicizing it.

Responses like yours show that Americans don't know jack about the odd peculiarities of "monarchy" from plain dictatorships. After all, even their British ancestors never truly experienced the direct monarchies of France and other places in Europe. The monarchy they were rebelling against could never pull a Stalin or Kim-Jong Un since the aristocracy will find a way to kill him and take the throne for himself.
To establish a hereditary line is hard enough. To convince 50 states accept it, included the isolated Alaska and Hawaii is a pure fantasy.

Trump is no grand ruler with might. He is an easy to spot puppet who has quite a few masters to please, including those stuck in the "red vs. blue" paradigm refuse to see, such as the Clintons. The real tyrants don't show their cards like that. Since when has it ever been done in history that a grand ruler ever has been spoken of that "oh, he's a narcsissit, so that's why he conquered". Not Caesar, not Genghis Khan, not Suleman, Hitler, Louis XIV.

But what Trump has a talent for...is complete mastery of the press. The message he sent does have validity, even though it is clear that he is never going to deliver on it and never had anything in store to really make it happen. The way he delivers his lines has the unique ability of triggering both his supporters and his antagonists into not realizing what the actual endgame is for him, or more accurately, his masters and friends. The expansion of the powers of the state are the real threat, and both parties are onboard with it. The police are enabled through the conservatives by consent, and by the Democrats by the laws expanding the government and curtailing the right to arms. Indeed, the future Democratic president and BLM folks aiming for the top will enjoy the fact that Trump paved the way for them.

The common Trump way of doing politics is basically giving both himself and his enemy lots of press cred without doing a lick for either his supporters or the "enemy" he is attacking. The entire exchange between him and the late Elijah Cummings did nothing for the condition of Baltimore, but it made all sides involved have their minutes in the press to look good. Indeed, he should have targeted Baltimore's mayor at the time and not Cummings, since members of Congress do not manage their districts' affairs directly. Nothing of substance was achieved, but political points were scored by all parties involved.

Libertopian fappery with vague overlord & gun grabber conspiracy theories.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's clear he never studied or had any experience with law. And he would be talentless in the subject of law or politics even if he knew it. Unlike Ghandi, who actually lawyered the world and no one realized that he did so.
Let's see...started in neuroscience
Got an MBA. I wonder if he ever dealt with internal corporate politics...and how power can work in such a structure.

He certainly doesn't understand the nature of the "state". But both Britain and the USA are relatively non-intverentionist states these days, and many British cops don't even have guns. So of course he doesn't understand the full unbridled liberties a totalitarian regime can employ if the head of state or other government bodies so desires, such as murdering targets at will. Confiscation at will, and even government seizure ownership of property and then collection of rent on what used to be "your land"(this is for the communist regimes). Imprisonment doesn't even need a warrant process. Just a neighbor snitching is enough to get watched and detained.

Now with simple, mindless derision & duh-version into British policing, as if that has anything to do with US. Haque clearly understands the history of the land of his ancestors which has suffered repeated authoritarian takeovers. He's trying to tell us how it works.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Article employs hyperbole in some ways, but the use of hyperbole is perhaps justified. There is a real threat here, more in relation to Trump trying to de-legitimatize an election result than from cheating to a win. But a serious threat nonetheless. I don't think one can be faulted for erring on the side of over-alarmism. In a circumstance like this, complacency is unacceptable.

I understand conservatives here do not see it this way, because they are being fed an alternative, benign, and utterly false interpretation of Trump's behavior on Fox News and other sources. I see no way around this because we just don't agree on facts.