Discussion America needs to start getting back into shape. It's starting to look embarrassing.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Actually it really IS an American thing.... if you look at what "suggested" portions of most foods are compared to what you'll be served in an average restaurant here they're often at least double and sometimes triple (or more) the serving-size they should be to be "healthy".

OTOH when I go out to eat I WANT a huge portion of quality food for my money as I mentioned above and I'm pretty sure most people agree. (which is part of the problem!)
People can order dinky portions from McDonalds too. The hamburgers and value meal sandwiches. One can even go dirty keto and essentially just order a patty. But people still buy meals and Big Macs anyway. I think the Big Mac Jr. failed or something as well?

People need a mix of Dave Ramsey(establish a budget) and Eric the Car Guy/Scotty Kilmer(DIY prep) approach to their food choices. That'll do more than trying to control the supply side. I mean, it ultimately got through to me. Now, I even see $0.88 sweet potatoes as too expensive thanks to mom JUST SAYING IT IS--I am hopelessly suggestible.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
At least compared to many Western countries, portions in America are big. Go big or go home, it's not just Texas's slogan, it's pretty American. It's all about buying bigger trucks than you need, bigger homes with way more space than you need, and getting bigger portions of food than you need. And overly processed shitty food where the profit margins are the biggest is the way to go for fast casual.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
People can order dinky portions from McDonalds too. The hamburgers and value meal sandwiches. One can even go dirty keto and essentially just order a patty. But people still buy meals and Big Macs anyway. I think the Big Mac Jr. failed or something as well?
Yeah, when I was still going into the office/eating lunch somewhere every weekday, I'd hit up McD's for a double cheeseburger and small fries, at that time 670 calories was a suitable lunch meal for me. But I think he's talking about going to actual restaurants, not fast food.

Reactions: Captante

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Last time I went to Burger King the woman behind the register was huge. After I ordered a combo she asked me if I wanted to upsize to a large from a medium for $.30. I said no thanks and she was like "are you sure? you get a larger drink and fries" and I was like "yeah it's okay I'll stick with the medium." and she had a shocked look on her face.

And then you see the medium drink and it's like a 32oz fountain soda. Like how the hell is that a medium lol?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yeah, when I was still going into the office/eating lunch somewhere every weekday, I'd hit up McD's for a double cheeseburger and small fries, at that time 670 calories was a suitable lunch meal for me. But I think he's talking about going to actual restaurants, not fast food.

Exactly! I don't consider McDogburger's "dining out" !! ;)

(actually I pretty much don't eat that garbage at all anymore aside from the occasional breakfast)

Last time I went to Burger King the woman behind the register was huge

You know what they say... NEVER trust a skinny chef! :p

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
As a nation, I think this has a lot to do with many factors.
1.) We don't eat the right thing
2.) Even if we "try" to eat good, we don't really know how to eat healthy
3.) We often don't take diet seriously
4.) Even if we did want to take diet seriously, many dont have the mental bandwidth, willpower, or fortitude to deal with it given how stressful everything else is.
5.) Lots of Disinformation and Misinformation being advertised and paraded as actual information or news which further stirs confusion.
6.) Lost hope due to all the above ... "nothing i tried works, so Im just going to survive the only way I know" being the attitude of the day.

Solution is complicated, and likely not universal.
Essentially, I learned "all the food pyramid stuff and nutritional guidelines in place for like 50+ years are all completely wrong.
Grains, carbs, breads are killing us and making us fatter all the time.
Sugar is the most dangerous and addictive drug.

Poor people are screwed over pretty bad since the only "cheap" food left tends to be carb heavy unhealthy garbage.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
4.) Even if we did want to take diet seriously, many dont have the mental bandwidth, willpower, or fortitude to deal with it given how stressful everything else is.
5.) Lots of Disinformation and Misinformation being advertised and paraded as actual information or news which further stirs confusion.
6.) Lost hope due to all the above ... "nothing i tried works, so Im just going to survive the only way I know" being the attitude of the day.

Essentially, I learned "all the food pyramid stuff and nutritional guidelines in place for like 50+ years are all completely wrong.

Poor people are screwed over pretty bad since the only "cheap" food left tends to be carb heavy unhealthy garbage.

One important detail .... COMPLEX carbs from WHOLE grains are mostly good... it's the processed BS we eat instead that turns right to sugar and is harmful.

Non-technically anything white/bleached, pasty and processed tends to be terrible for you while the crunchy, chewy high-fiber stuff that goes right through you like an army of tiny scrub-brushes IS healthy. (you know... the stuff most people don't eat!)

And sorta unrelated but I swear I just read recently that one third of American adults admit to eating fast-food EVERY DAY .... ?!?

No wonder we're collectively so overweight and un-healthy!

:oops:

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The sodas people drink, whether diet or not, are probably the biggest problem with regular fast food consumption.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Yeah, Ford Brewer and Jason Fung are part of the "bleeding edge" future paradigm that the establishment is only slowly acquiscinng too.

Heck, it's thanks to Brewer I had develop the correct suspicion that my mother was either diabetic or prediabetic.

Medstar...in their load of BS, didn't even bother to look at A1C after her first visit. It was only after she landed in an ICU after colon surgery that I had to tell the nurse I suspected diabetes or at least poor glucose control...then the ICU nurse drew the A1C test and it came out at 6.1

• Wow
Reactions: BurnItDwn

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Burger King Texas Double Whopper

PER BURGER: 1,876 calories, 136 g fat (51 g saturated fat, 1.8 g trans fat), 3,080 mg sodium, 58 g carbs (4 g fiber, 13 g sugar), 110 g protein

Wendy's Pretzel Bacon Pub Triple Cheeseburger

PER BURGER: 1,520 calories, 106 g fat (45 g saturated fat, 4 g trans fat), 1,940 mg sodium, 54 g carbs (4 g fiber, 6 g sugar), 89 g protein

McDonald's 20 Piece Chicken McNuggets

Serving Size20 pieces
Calories890
Calories From Fat480
Amount Per Serving% Daily Value*
Total Fat53g82%
Saturated Fat9.0g45%
Trans Fat0.0g
Cholesterol145mg48%
Sodium1680mg70%
Total Carbohydrates53g18%

The freaking 20-piece nuggets are the HEALTHY choice in this bunch!

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

PER BURGER: 1,876 calories, 136 g fat (51 g saturated fat, 1.8 g trans fat), 3,080 mg sodium, 58 g carbs (4 g fiber, 13 g sugar), 110 g protein

PER BURGER: 1,520 calories, 106 g fat (45 g saturated fat, 4 g trans fat), 1,940 mg sodium, 54 g carbs (4 g fiber, 6 g sugar), 89 g protein

McDonald's 20 Piece Chicken McNuggets

Serving Size20 pieces
Calories890
Calories From Fat480
Amount Per Serving% Daily Value*
Total Fat53g82%
Saturated Fat9.0g45%
Trans Fat0.0g
Cholesterol145mg48%
Sodium1680mg70%
Total Carbohydrates53g18%

The freaking 20-piece nuggets are the HEALTHY choice in this bunch!
Yeah but you are missing a ton of calories with those nuggets from the condiments. Ain't nobody eating 20 dry nuggets.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yeah, Ford Brewer and Jason Fung are part of the "bleeding edge" future paradigm that the establishment is only slowly acquiscinng too.

Heck, it's thanks to Brewer I had develop the correct suspicion that my mother was either diabetic or prediabetic.

Medstar...in their load of BS, didn't even bother to look at A1C after her first visit. It was only after she landed in an ICU after colon surgery that I had to tell the nurse I suspected diabetes or at least poor glucose control...then the ICU nurse drew the A1C test and it came out at 6.1
I'm healthy, and they still check my A1C at every annual physical. Of course, that only helps if you go in for an annual physical...

Where are you getting this data? On BK's site, the Texas Double Whopper is listed at 1,150 (1,876 seemed suspiciously high to me)
The pretzel bacon pub burger was a limited time offering (I like pretzel burgers, so I know these things :p), the highest calorie burger on Wendy's site currently is the Big Bacon Cheddar Cheeseburger Triple, at 1,420, which is pretty high, but I believe everyone knows a triple bacon cheeseburger is loaded with calories.
And hey, they've got far more fat and protein than they do sugar ;)

• Haha

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yeah but you are missing a ton of calories with those nuggets from the condiments. Ain't nobody eating 20 dry nuggets.

True and quite a few will choose stuff like ranch too not BBQ or sweet and sour!

I still think the worst of the fast-food burgers take "the prize" though!

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I still say soda is worse. Easily packing on another 490 calories for the large Coca-Cola, and then a free refill for the road to get you another 490 calories. At least the burgers have something on offer other than sugar.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I'm healthy, and they still check my A1C at every annual physical. Of course, that only helps if you go in for an annual physical...
She went last August in for numerous tick bites and essentially what would be considered a physical. The primary care doc for Medstar didn't order an A1C despite ordering everything else on the metabolic panel, including TG, cholesterol, etc. Even despite glucose sometimes reading above 99, she was told wait until this May for the next annual visit. She even told them she suspect diabetes; the primary care doc said she didn't due to her blood results with no A1C. While technically correct, prediabetes is not asymptomatic, as she had a dark red spot on her tibia area for 2-3 years.

As I said, she was in an ICU bed(but the nurse didn't tell me that either, the doc called before shit happened I guess because the surgeon said everything was okay) and I relayed my suspicion based on the high TG numbers from the August appointment and the high glucose numbers from subsequent visits for other matters.

It's experiences like these in which I form the belief that at least one major player in "medicine" is about letting patients harm themselves sufficiently first and the "curing" the issue gets activated rather than prevention. The other is most dentists, where they'll do something to make a buck off your back, but ways are numerous.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Where are you getting this data? On BK's site, the Texas Double Whopper is listed at 1,150 (1,876 seemed suspiciously high to me)
The pretzel bacon pub burger was a limited time offering (I like pretzel burgers, so I know these things :p), the highest calorie burger on Wendy's site currently is the Big Bacon Cheddar Cheeseburger Triple, at 1,420, which is pretty high, but I believe everyone knows a triple bacon cheeseburger is loaded with calories.
And hey, they've got far more fat and protein than they do sugar ;)

The Unhealthiest Fast-Food Burgers on the Planet

I didn't think to fact-check! ;)

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Yeah I have this conversation every time I fly. My wife and I flew few weeks ago just us two and while waiting in the terminal to get on our flight, we were hoping like 75% of the people waiting for the same flight wouldn't sit next to us.

On one of our legs the flight was totally full and my wife was window and I was in the middle. And I am a big dude but because I'm muscular and in shape, with broad shoulders. This fat chick who probably weighs more than me sat right next to me when there were MULTIPLE other seats she could have sat in. The entire flight her fatass was rubbing against me on my shoulders and her legs too. I have no clue why she chose to sit right next to me.
You can't leave an aisle seat open and not expect it to be taken. Leave the middle open and then side over when you see a skinny person.