America Has Already Lost Tuesday's Election

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I was without power in one single year for 10 days or more not once but twice. Electrical workers or Linemen turn the power back on; not the Red Cross and Not FEMA. I never saw either during this difficult time. Unless you realize this you are avoiding reality. In some places like New Jersey they tried to turn away non-union Power Company workers. It is always the union jerks that are willing to stand up for unions and not the people without power huddled in their own homes starving to death with no water or food.

People need to learn to store a little extra emergency food. Having a Gas Stove helps also.

Last edited:

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
These Europeans have lots of issues of their own so they shouldn't be so high and mighty.

Their greedy banks are some of the worst in the world having pillaged billions from Americans. Their laws on abortion are some of the worst, so they should look at their own “war on women”. Looking at medical research bans on stem cell research in Europe make America look like a bastion of science. Talk about persecuting immigrants, immigrants enjoy greater rights in U.S then any European country. People in glass homes shouldn't throw bricks.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I can not believe people do not store some extra food and water in their house/apartment. You would be surprised how good Ramen noodles taste when you are hungry. Canned Fruit is great also. Even Spam Can become a gormet meal. Speghetti does not take up much room and canned soup (Not condesned) can be warmed up in the can it comes in. A nice pot of chilli would hit the spot. You can get that in cans also.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
It is hard to take this serious when it blames capitalism for people being evacuated during a hurricane and electric lines not being erected fast enough. Oh also, let me know when Germany is hit with a hurricane.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Have you noticed there are not many good stories in all of this? Only stories about how people are suffering. That is because the press and the media refuse to air those stories. There is plenty of good work being done, but you will not hear about it.

I can remember the earthquake in California where a lot of bridges collapsed and there were plenty of good stories back then about how Americans helped each other. People help each other instead of waiting for the government, because they have compassion and they know the government does not really care about them.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Yeah, less than one fucking week after the hurricane hit. Get back to me in two months when people are wallowing in their own shit and trapping squirrels and crows.

You're missing the point, dickbag. I'll let you figure that one out.

PS: developing country is not the same as a 3rd world country where they "trap crows and squirrels and wallow in their own filth".

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I can help make olive oil and will share my water and popcorn.

I wouldn't have posted if I'd seen your post first since I think the point was the same. But having a computer next to a window into the garden helps me remember that today is like any other in the last few million years. It's a lot, I imagine, like climbing up a tree and surveying the savanna. Maybe feet on the ground is like hand on the branch.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Election day makes me glad I live in the U.S. Because here I have a right to vote, unlike relatives of mine living in Europe who are still denied this very basic right.

Where do your relatives live and why can't they vote?

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Where do your relatives live and why can't they vote?

Because their parents were not french citizens. They were born in France. France does not give citizenship to children of non french citizens born there, nor do they get voting rights. This is how most European countries are.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

PS: developing country is not the same as a 3rd world country where they "trap crows and squirrels and wallow in their own filth".

lol, I see the problem, you're not a dickbag, just a retard.

"Developing Country" is the same as "3rd World Country"

Over the last few decades, the term 'Third World' has been used interchangeably with the Global South and Developing Countries to describe poorer countries that have struggled to attain steady economic development.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_world

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011

Actually no you are missing the point, the author is obviously clueless.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Because their parents were not french citizens. They were born in France. France does not give citizenship to children of non french citizens born there, nor do they get voting rights. This is how most European countries are.

A child born in France to foreign parents may acquire French citizenship:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_nationality_law#cite_note-2

• at birth, if stateless.
  • at 18, if resident in France with at least 5 years' residence since age 11.
  • at 16 upon request by the child and if resident in France.
  • at 13 upon request by the child's parents and if resident in France.
  • if born in France of parents born before independence in a colony/territory in the past under French sovereignty.
    • at birth, if born in France before January 1, 1994.
    • at age 18, if born in France on or after January 1, 1994.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_nationality_law

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So writes DER SPIEGEL.

I tend to see northern Europeans, having had a much longer and more tumultuous past than our own, as the wise old grandfathers scolding their teenage USA grandson. Their perspective on how far we have strayed as a nation should be respected. And any American with dual-citizenship and/or a passport granting them safe return, residency, and employment in a northern European country or Asia-Pacific country like NZ, AU, etc. should hop on that lifeboat. The USA Titanic is about under water.

I've always agreed with this sentiment, and feel that the typical crowdin this country that hates Europeans and labels them as "commies" are the type of willfully ignorant dipsticks that are ruining this country as fast as they possibly can.

I'd rather we ship them all off to Pakistan, where they would feel most comfortable.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
I lived in Europe when I was younger and moved back to the USA for a number of reasons. Basically at the time the USA clearly offered me more advantages for a better life. I could get a better job and I could get a better education.

I moved back to Europe several years ago. Those things that drew me back to the USA originally have all but evaporated. There are now far more advantages to living in Europe for me. Don't get me wrong I still love the USA and see myself moving back one day but at this present time we really don't have much going for us in the USA due to the banking system, political system, real estate problems, poor education, health insurance and costs that are asinine, child care costs that make no sense, poor woman's rights issues and inequality, and so on. As an adult who wants to raise a family I can offer my children far more by living over here. It comes at certain costs but when I weigh the whole package I come out ahead over here and as a duel citizen I am taking advantage of that.

I voted though and I am optimistic that in 15-20 years things will get better if we just pull our heads out of our asses. Right now though the USA is clearly heading down the wrong path.

I realize that our patriotic duty is to always defend the USA and strike down any naysayers but honestly we can't do that any longer. We're long overdue for an honest look in the mirror and a revaluation of what once made America great.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I lived in Europe when I was younger and moved back to the USA for a number of reasons. Basically at the time the USA clearly offered me more advantages for a better life. I could get a better job and I could get a better education.

I moved back to Europe several years ago. Those things that drew me back to the USA originally have all but evaporated. There are now far more advantages to living in Europe for me. Don't get me wrong I still love the USA and see myself moving back one day but at this present time we really don't have much going for us in the USA due to the banking system, political system, real estate problems, poor education, health insurance and costs that are asinine, child care costs that make no sense, poor woman's rights issues and inequality, and so on. As an adult who wants to raise a family I can offer my children far more by living over here. It comes at certain costs but when I weigh the whole package I come out ahead over here and as a duel citizen I am taking advantage of that.

I voted though and I am optimistic that in 15-20 years things will get better if we just pull our heads out of our asses. Right now though the USA is clearly heading down the wrong path.

I realize that our patriotic duty is to always defend the USA and strike down any naysayers but honestly we can't do that any longer. We're long overdue for an honest look in the mirror and a revaluation of what once made America great.

You're not the only I know who has made the same decision with his family recently.

If I had a EU passport I'd be gone too.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
You're not the only I know who has made the same decision with his family recently.

If I had a EU passport I'd be gone too.

I have seriously considered moving to northern Europe a few times.

Beautiful countryside, better political systems, better opportunities.

The only things stopping me are fear and it is very hard to get citizenship.

Maybe after I get my CCNP.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The articles are pretty much spot on. While the Nation falls apart, the People are engaged in a ridiculous war of Culture and Philosophy that does absolutely nothing to address the issues at hand.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Election day makes me glad I live in the U.S. Because here I have a right to vote, unlike relatives of mine living in Europe who are still denied this very basic right.

yeah, so you're completely full of shit.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I would argue that his examples prove the exact opposite of his point. All of the grotesque failures are in areas where government has taken over most or all of the market (e.g. healthcare and infrastructure). These outcomes are completely predictable by those of us who have worked closely with federal bureaucracy. The further to the left our economic pendulum swings, the more you will see stuff like this.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
The infrastructure in New York, New Jersey and New England was already in trouble long before the storm made landfall near Atlantic City. The power lines in Brooklyn and Queens, on Long Island and in New Jersey, in one of the world's largest metropolitan areas, are not underground, but are still installed along a fragile and confusing above-ground network supported by utility poles, the way they are in developing countries.

Are you fucking kidding me? Thats their point? Do they realize that other countries like Britain and France do that as well?

In the case of Sandy, the weather forecasts were relatively reliable three or four days prior to its arrival, so that the time could have been used to at least make improvised preparations, which did not happen.

I think this is a geography fail by Der Spiegel. Do they not understand how large Sandy was? It covered some 500+ miles of coastline not including its possible landfall. How the hell are we supposed to protect every single important building over that land area? Maybe they don't get it because thats around 1/3 of Germany's total costline

Some 1.3 million students drop out of high school each year in the US before they have the chance to graduate.

Out of some 15 million students - or around 9% What is Germany's drop out rate? 8% I don't get their point?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1182439,00.html
http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=372

Der Speigel has some good point but I have noticed a continued trend of FUD in the articles you post from them here

Last edited: