America Has Already Lost Tuesday's Election

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
So writes DER SPIEGEL.

Germans see the US election as a battle between the good Obama and the evil Romney. But this is a mistake. Regardless of who wins the election on Tuesday, total capitalism is America's true ruler, and it has the power to destroy the country.

The United States Army is developing a weapon that can reach -- and destroy -- any location on Earth within an hour. At the same time, power lines held up by wooden poles dangle over the streets of Brooklyn, Queens and New Jersey. Hurricane Sandy ripped them apart there and in communities across the East Coast last week, and many places remain without electricity. That's America, where high-tech options are available only to the elite, and the rest live under conditions comparable to a those of a developing nation. No country has produced more Nobel Prize winners, yet in New York City hospitals had to be evacuated during the storm because their emergency generators didn't work properly.

Anyone who sees this as a contradiction has failed to grasp the fact that America is a country of total capitalism. Its functionaries have no need of public hospitals or of a reliable power supply to private homes. The elite have their own infrastructure. Total capitalism, however, has left American society in ruins and crippled the government. America's fate is not just an accident produced by the system. It is a consequence of that system.

Obama couldn't change this, and Romney wouldn't be able to either. Europe is mistaken if it views the election as a choice between the forces of good and evil. And it certainly doesn't amount to a potential change in political direction as some newspapers on the Continent would have us believe.

A Powerless President

Romney, the exceedingly wealthy business man, and Obama, the cultivated civil rights lawyer, are two faces of a political system that no longer has much to do with democracy as we understand it. Democracy is about choice, but Americans don't really have much of a choice. Obama proved this. Nearly four years ago, it seemed like a new beginning for America when he took office. But this was a misunderstanding. Obama didn't close the Guantanamo Bay detention camp, nor did he lift immunity for alleged war criminals from the Bush-era, or regulate the financial markets, and climate change was hardly discussed during the current election campaign. The military, the banks, industry -- the people are helpless in the face of their power, as is the president.

Not even credit default swaps, the kind of investment that brought down Lehman Brothers and took Western economies to the brink, has been banned or even better regulated. It is likely the case that Obama wanted to do more, but couldn't. But what role does that play in the bigger picture?

We want to believe that Obama failed because of the conservatives inside his own country. Indeed, the fanatics that Mitt Romney depends on have jettisoned everything that distinguishes the West: science and logic, reason and moderation, even simple decency. They hate homosexuals, the weak and the state. They oppress women and persecute immigrants. Their moralizing about abortion doesn't even spare the victims of rape. They are the Taliban of the West.

The Winner Makes No Difference to Europe

Still, they are only the symptom of America's failure, not the cause. In reality, neither the idealists and Democrats, nor the useful idiots of the Tea Party have any power over the circumstances.

From a European perspective, it doesn't matter who wins this election. Only US foreign policy is important to us -- and Obama is no dove and Romney no hawk. The incumbent president prefers to wage his wars with drones instead of troops, though the victims probably don't care if they're killed by man or machine. Meanwhile, despite all the criticism, his challenger says he wouldn't join Israel were the country to go to war with Iran because the US can now no longer afford such a thing.

In any case, it is wrong to characterize Republicans as the party of warmongers and Democrats as the party of peace -- or even to call the latter a left-wing party at all. After all, it was Democratic presidents Harry S. Truman, John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson who started the wars in Korea and Vietnam. Republican presidents Dwight D. Eisenhower and Richard Nixon ended these wars. And Ronald Reagan, who Europeans see as the embodiment of both the evil and absurd aspects of American politics, was a peaceful man compared to the standards we have since become accustomed to. He only ever invaded Grenada.

The truth is that we simply no longer understand America. Looking at the country from Germany and Europe, we see a foreign culture. The political system is in the hands of big business and its lobbyists. The checks and balances have failed. And a perverse mix of irresponsibility, greed and religious zealotry dominate public opinion.

The downfall of the American empire has begun. It could be that the country's citizens wouldn't be able to stop it no matter how hard they tried. But they aren't even trying.

I tend to see northern Europeans, having had a much longer and more tumultuous past than our own, as the wise old grandfathers scolding their teenage USA grandson. Their perspective on how far we have strayed as a nation should be respected. And any American with dual-citizenship and/or a passport granting them safe return, residency, and employment in a northern European country or Asia-Pacific country like NZ, AU, etc. should hop on that lifeboat. The USA Titanic is about under water.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
So writes DER SPIEGEL.

I tend to see northern Europeans, having had a much longer and more tumultuous past than our own, as the wise old grandfathers scolding their teenage USA grandson. Their perspective on how far we have strayed as a nation should be respected. And any American with dual-citizenship and/or a passport granting them safe return, residency, and employment in a northern European country or Asia-Pacific country like NZ, AU, etc. should hop on that lifeboat. The USA Titanic is about under water.

Uh, so according to this guy, America loses because it's not willing to elect a communist to office. "Total Capitalism?" What the hell is total capitalism? This guy is a moron who thrives on lazy generalizations. If it weren't in Der Speigel I could easily mistake this for a high school paper.

Last edited:

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
Anyone who sees this as a contradiction has failed to grasp the fact that America is a country of total capitalism. Its functionaries have no need of public hospitals or of a reliable power supply to private homes. The elite have their own infrastructure. Total capitalism, however, has left American society in ruins and crippled the government.

While I more or less agree with the political points the article makes, this is absurd. The US is hardly 'total capitalist' and has not been anything close to that for arguably ~85 years.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
At the same time, power lines held up by wooden poles dangle over the streets of Brooklyn, Queens and New Jersey. Hurricane Sandy ripped them apart there and in communities across the East Coast last week, and many places remain without electricity. That's America, where high-tech options are available only to the elite, and the rest live under conditions comparable to a those of a developing nation. No country has produced more Nobel Prize winners, yet in New York City hospitals had to be evacuated during the storm because their emergency generators didn't work properly.

Riiiiight. The largest hurricane to hit the Eastern Seaboard in a century knocks out power for a couple of weeks and people are "living under conditions comparable to those of a developing nation."

What an asinine thing to say.

Obama didn't close the Guantanamo Bay detention camp, nor did he lift immunity for alleged war criminals from the Bush-era, or regulate the financial markets, and climate change was hardly discussed during the current election campaign. The military, the banks, industry -- the people are helpless in the face of their power, as is the president.

That's pretty much every failure of the administration right there. Not bad considering the circumstances he inherited.

Not even credit default swaps, the kind of investment that brought down Lehman Brothers and took Western economies to the brink, has been banned or even better regulated. It is likely the case that Obama wanted to do more, but couldn't. But what role does that play in the bigger picture?

Should we have banned stocks after 1929? The role of Obama in wanting, but not being able to regulate wall steet is pretty damn important when you're thinking about who to vote for in house/senate races.

...Obama is no dove and Romney no hawk. The incumbent president prefers to wage his wars with drones instead of troops, though the victims probably don't care if they're killed by man or machine. Meanwhile, despite all the criticism, his challenger says he wouldn't join Israel were the country to go to war with Iran because the US can now no longer afford such a thing.

In any case, it is wrong to characterize Republicans as the party of warmongers and Democrats as the party of peace -- or even to call the latter a left-wing party at all. After all, it was Democratic presidents Harry S. Truman, John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson who started the wars in Korea and Vietnam. Republican presidents Dwight D. Eisenhower and Richard Nixon ended these wars. And Ronald Reagan, who Europeans see as the embodiment of both the evil and absurd aspects of American politics, was a peaceful man compared to the standards we have since become accustomed to. He only ever invaded Grenada.

Irrelavent. Bush started two wars, Obama ended one and is ending the other in 2014. That's the bottom line.

Those wise old grandfathers sure fucked up their economy, didn't they? I have no respect for such a poorly thought out critique.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
So writes DER SPIEGEL.

lol, the USA exists because of how terrible Europe was/is, we are European refugees

We saved the world from Hilter, and then outlasted Stalin and now we're being chastised by the same screwups. AWESOME.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Uh, so according to this guy, America loses because it's not willing to elect a communist to office. "Total Capitalism?" What the hell is total capitalism? This guy is a moron who thrives on lazy generalizations. If it weren't in Der Speigel I could easily mistake this for a high school paper.
This.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Riiiiight. The largest hurricane to hit the Eastern Seaboard in a century knocks out power for a couple of weeks and people are "living under conditions comparable to those of a developing nation."

What an asinine thing to say.

Take a quick trip to the eastern seaboard before opening your mouth. Some places look worse than Haiti after the earthquake.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
the obama has caused so much damage.. the US is in a death spiral around the drain. The US needs to break up into 3 or more entities and start over.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
America is hardly capitalist. It isnt capitalism that holds the price of a certain prescription drug at $1200 while it is only $37 south of the border. Nor is it capitalism that mandates the ladling of billions to companies like Solyndra, in the hopes of reducing energy costs (?since when is spending $5 tax dollars to potentially save a dollar on energy a good deal anyway?) I could go on and on all day long. This capitalism meme is just a sick joke. The drug companies write the laws, they dont compete in a market. Same goes for just about every other corporate sector too.

The exceptions are things like clothing, and consumer technology. Those are examples of relatively pure market capitalism. You get falling prices, and high competition. Everybody loves it. Sure there are some sweat shops and some pollution as a result, but they are nothing compared to these giant govt-backed massive epic $$trillion boondoggles of cancerous repugnance like the military industrial complex, big pharma, big agra, etc etc. Those machinations and obominations are not capitalist at all.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I figure we're going to hell no matter what and wouldn't have it any other way so I'm stocking up on bottled water and investing in popcorn futures.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Take a quick trip to the eastern seaboard before opening your mouth. Some places look worse than Haiti after the earthquake.

I was responding to the reference the article made to the electric grid, dickbag. I know about the destruction of Sandy, hurricanes destroy shit, that's what they do.

Nov 29, 2006
LOL Typical responces

Americans cant take criticism or care to learn from other countries. Truth hurts when it comes to light.

The biggest point to take from the OP is the corporations and lobbying ruling the country and will continue to grab more power as the years go by.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The birds are eating the olives from my olive tree. The fruit turns dark this time of year.

Xonoahbin

Aug 16, 2005
America is hardly capitalist. It isnt capitalism that holds the price of a certain prescription drug at $1200 while it is only $37 south of the border. Nor is it capitalism that mandates the ladling of billions to companies like Solyndra, in the hopes of reducing energy costs (?since when is spending $5 tax dollars to potentially save a dollar on energy a good deal anyway?) I could go on and on all day long. This capitalism meme is just a sick joke. The drug companies write the laws, they dont compete in a market. Same goes for just about every other corporate sector too.

Pretty sure that's what the author was actually getting at. Calling it "total capitalism" was certainly poor wording.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
LOL Typical responces

Americans cant take criticism or care to learn from other countries. Truth hurts when it comes to light.

The biggest point to take from the OP is the corporations and lobbying ruling the country and will continue to grab more power as the years go by.

LOL, typical idiot response.

I have no problem "taking" national criticism, or even voicing it myself. Citizens United, financial regulation, climate policy, or any number of things. That article was fucking awful.

Nov 29, 2006
LOL, typical idiot response.

I have no problem "taking" national criticism, or even voicing it myself. Citizens United, financial regulation, climate policy, or any number of things. That article was fucking awful.

Yeah your post is pretty idiotic. Do i need to literally post each post # in this very thread for you to see typical American responces to criticism?

If you want to i can. I have the time.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I was responding to the reference the article made to the electric grid, dickbag. I know about the destruction of Sandy, hurricanes destroy shit, that's what they do.

Good, then you know that there's pretty much no electricity to most of long island, a lot of new jersey and parts of manhattan which sets them past a little past the dark ages. electric grid or not most of the power lines are uprooted like the trees with their concrete bases laying in the middle of the road.

You don't know shit, so stop talking.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Our electrical grid really is a joke. Out dated switching and management. Everything should be buried in the ground if there are no serious logistical problems with it. Stringing them up in the air to be continuously knocked over makes no sense for most of the US.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
"America is a country of total capitalism"

Jesus Christ the writers at Der Stupid come up with some crazy shit.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Election day makes me glad I live in the U.S. Because here I have a right to vote, unlike relatives of mine living in Europe who are still denied this very basic right.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Good, then you know that there's pretty much no electricity to most of long island, a lot of new jersey and parts of manhattan which sets them past a little past the dark ages. electric grid or not most of the power lines are uprooted like the trees with their concrete bases laying in the middle of the road.

You don't know shit, so stop talking.

Yeah, less than one fucking week after the hurricane hit. Get back to me in two months when people are wallowing in their own shit and trapping squirrels and crows.