AMD's response to the gtx670

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BossToss

Banned
May 14, 2012
Just so I have this correct, you have 3 x 7970 in CF on 5 mths old drivers and you are saying that the 7970 is a better card?...LOL

Drivers have absolutely NOTHING to do with which is the better card. The 680's drivers are no better than AMDs. As a matter of fact, up until the 301.34 betas were installed, the scaling was HORRID.

Perhaps you should do a little more reading, since you don't OWN both of the cards in question, and are thus judging by word of mouth instead of experience.

Here's a good place to start.

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/272...0-review-plus-sli-and-3-way-sli-battlefield-3

All I see are boxes and other junk.

So you think I collected a bunch of boxes? I've had issues on another forum before with you Balla. Give it a rest. All you do is troll. I've got pictures of my cards as well if you want to act as if I'm faking. Where the hell would I get the boxes from in the first place then, smart guy?

Guys if hes running that many cards, hes probably hitting the VRAM limit on the 2gb 680. I bet he is using more than a 3 monitor setup. Of course the 7970s would outperform in this case. 7970s are great cards, no question about it. They tend to dominate in higher resolutions which should be common sense now.

Negative. The VRAM limit comes close at my res, but 2GB is JUST enough for BF3 @ 2560x1440 w/4x MSAA. I'm currently selling all 4 of my 680s, and will most likely be grabbing the 4GB models if I don't decide to just add a 4th 7970, since they're a much better bang for the buck right now. Not to mention 3GB is more than enough VRAM for 99% of gaming scenarios.

I'm 25 years old, and have been PC gaming for 2 decades, so just because I just created an account on Anandtech, doesn't mean I'm a newbie to PC hardware. I've been a member on other PC tech forums for a long long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Boss, sounds like you have a handle on some of the resident trolls here. Best to just ignore the stupidity, some of them are pretty serious about their forum trolling job, making people waste time reading their drivel.

BossToss

Banned
May 14, 2012
This is my best 3dmark11 Extreme score thus far, but my 3930k was only @ 4500mhz as opposed to the 4900mhz it's sitting at now, and my 2133 CAS9 RAM was only running at 1600 due to a prior BIOS reset.

3zbhm.png

I haven't ran the 7970s in Extreme mode yet to judge the scores. My best P score with 3 7970s on my 2500k rig @ 4.7ghz was 22,000

Last edited by a moderator:

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
Drivers have absolutely NOTHING to do with which is the better card. The 680's drivers are no better than AMDs. As a matter of fact, up until the 301.34 betas were installed, the scaling was HORRID.

Perhaps you should do a little more reading, since you don't OWN both of the cards in question, and are thus judging by word of mouth instead of experience.

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/272...0-review-plus-sli-and-3-way-sli-battlefield-3

So you think I collected a bunch of boxes? I've had issues on another forum before with you Balla. Give it a rest. All you do is troll. I've got pictures of my cards as well if you want to act as if I'm faking. Where the hell would I get the boxes from in the first place then, smart guy?

Negative. The VRAM limit comes close at my res, but 2GB is JUST enough for BF3 @ 2560x1440 w/4x MSAA. I'm currently selling all 4 of my 680s, and will most likely be grabbing the 4GB models if I don't decide to just add a 4th 7970, since they're a much better bang for the buck right now. Not to mention 3GB is more than enough VRAM for 99% of gaming scenarios.

I'm 25 years old, and have been PC gaming for 2 decades, so just because I just created an account on Anandtech, doesn't mean I'm a newbie to PC hardware. I've been a member on other PC tech forums for a long long time.

Like twisting a knife in the wound for some posters here:)

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
This is my best 3dmark11 Extreme score thus far, but my 3930k was only @ 4500mhz as opposed to the 4900mhz it's sitting at now, and my 2133 CAS9 RAM was only running at 1600 due to a prior BIOS reset.

3zbhm.png

I haven't ran the 7970s in Extreme mode yet to judge the scores. My best P score with 3 7970s on my 2500k rig @ 4.7ghz was 22,000

Mother Of God

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
BossToss: Did you hit the lottery? 3 7970s? 4 680s? You must be on the VIP list for both AMD and Nvidia!

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

No offense dude, but honestly you should calm down. Not only are you looking defensive, but also looking like a braggart and usually people who brag about being rich and buying all that stuff end up with very few friends and it isn't uncommon for someone to call BS. It is the internet after all.

Especially when someone starts a new account and goes on like you did lol.

I'm gonna pop open another beer and enjoy the show guys. Keep it up.

Last edited:

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
No offense dude, but honestly you should calm down. Not only are you looking defensive, but also looking like a braggart and usually people who brag about being rich and buying all that stuff end up with very few friends and it isn't uncommon for someone to call BS. It is the internet after all.

Especially when someone starts a new account and goes on like you did lol.

I'm gonna pop open another beer and enjoy the show guys. Keep it up.

You should probably check where he was jumped on for no reason by blind fanboys D:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
You should probably check where he was jumped on for no reason by blind fanboys D:

It would appear that he looks like a fanboy as well the way he talks about Nvidia drivers and the 7970 being so superior. So...it goes both ways. Point of view my friend...

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004

I disagree about drivers not being part of the whether a card is good or not, as without them, its just a paper weight....
I was asking because HardOCP did a review on TriCF & SLI.......

from the website.....

This is where the "good" ends, and the "bad" begins. There is a major issue with driver support on a configuration with Radeon HD 7970 Tri-Fire + Eyefinity that AMD does know about. It is a known issue by AMD, and a known issue by our readers in our forum. This issue is this, you cannot run with any driver version greater than the 8.921.2 RC11 driver that was initially released back in January of 2012 if you want to run games with Tri-Fire + Eyefinity enabled. If you install any driver, including the latest 12.3 WHQL driver, and enable Tri-Fire and turn on Eyefinity every game will BSOD. Another stellar public performance by AMD’s driver team!

Read the review, that why I asked about 5mth old drivers!
http://hardocp.com/article/2012/04/25/geforce_gtx_680_3way_sli_radeon_7970_trifire_review/

Relax bud, Im only jealous!

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004

He wasnt jumped on!, i queried his claim that 3 x 7970 were better than 3 x 680 SLI when they are on 5 mth old drivers FFS....Jesus, the reading comprehension state side is abysmal...

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
So much butthurt in this thread.

How the heck are you 25 and have that much disposable income? Are you a magician?