AMD's FirePro w9000/w8000 review thread.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Then the reviewers need to test Tesla too :D But honestly they need to educate people before sending these cards.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Drivers are everything in the professional market here. Go the extra mile or stay home. Looks like AMD needs to mature these products more before release, or they will just be DOA.

Why would I go with 'the small guy' (AMD) in this market when I can get mature drivers and competitive price from the market leader? I could see purchasing these for a reduced price knowing (or hoping) the drivers improve, but at these prices it seems silly.

Raghu

Aug 28, 2004
From AT Review Part 1

AMD has implemented Vertex Buffer Object (VBO) support and Order Independent Transparency (OIT) support in Cero Parametric, greatly speeding up the software in some cases. In return AMD has a 1 year exclusive on OIT functionality, which means that users who want to take advantage of it would need to use AMD video cards. Whether this partnership will significantly benefit AMD remains to be seen, but at the very least it’s exactly the kind of thing they need to be doing to improve their standing and their sales in the professional graphics community.

Hmm...is this how NVIDIA gets special features in games to work only on Geforce?